Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Reid to Blackburn

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blackburn have had an improved offer for Republic of Ireland international Steven Reid accepted by Millwall and have opened talks with the midfielder.
First Division Millwall had initially refused Blackburn's recent approach for Reid, 22, when the Ewood Park club are believed to have tabled a £2m bid.

The New Den club were unhappy with the terms of the deal but have now relented after a fresh approach as Blackburn boss Graeme Souness starts spending some of the money from Damien Duff's £17m sale to Chelsea.

Souness to splash Duff cash

"We have always been upfront with Steven and told him that we would keep him informed of any serious approach from a Premiership club," Millwall chairman Theo Paphitis told the club's website.

"Blackburn have made an improved offer and Steven has been given our permission to talk to them.

"This has been done reluctantly, but having given our word to him, we are honour-bound to keep it.

"Obviously, we don't want Reidy to leave, but the decision is now up to him and his advisors."

Reid has come through the ranks at Millwall and was part of the Republic of Ireland's squad for the 2002 World Cup where he featured against Cameroon and Germany.

"This is a good opportunity for me to go and talk to them and see what they have to say," said Reid.

"There has been a lot of speculation, but something's happened and now I'm either staying at Millwall or I'm not."

He added: "I've been at Millwall for 11 years and it's a long time.

"I've never really been away from London for more than a month or so, so it would be a big upheaval if I was to go and it's going to be the most difficult decision of my life.

"The chairman and manager have made it clear that they don't want me to go, so there's no pressure on me to leave the club.

"It's a decision I'm going to think long and hard about and hopefully make the right one."

Given that Reid is a full international, and has a few years of Div 1 experience behind him, it makes Bobby's price about par. Whilst we all suspect he is capable of greater things than Reid, he is still unproven at the highest level. Both Lua Lua and Ormerod have failed to make a big impression in the Prem

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here