Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sri Lanka.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The sheer number of people storming the president's palace is incredible. Pool party looks fun though.

Even with the inevitable resignations (I believe the PM has already gone), I'm not sure how the situation improves anytime soon. Are the factors that have led to the shortages due to serious mismanagement or just the global economic climate?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The sheer number of people storming the president's palace is incredible. Pool party looks fun though.

Even with the inevitable resignations (I believe the PM has already gone), I'm not sure how the situation improves anytime soon. Are the factors that have led to the shortages due to serious mismanagement or just the global economic climate?

there's been some long running problems, over borrowing more than economy can support i think.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Such a shame, a wonderful country and lovely people. They deserve better, have been through some hard times for many years now, including a long term civil war.

I just hope things don't get out of control all over again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a catalyst of the problem is apparently government forced shift to organic fertilisers and pesticides. with insufficient organic product actually available, crops have failed and food shortages ensued.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just imagine all this happening at Downing Street. People tearing strips off the £840 per roll gold wallpaper. Getting properly stuck into the Dom Perignon No10 party booze supplies. Discovering several of Johnson's various illegitimate secret crotch-goblins lurking around down in the cellar, along with an emaciated and delirious Nick Clegg chained to a radiator in a studded gimp mask.

Viva la revolution!

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
So who cares if the country is bankrupt and starving, it has an ESG score of 98! Go Greens!

https://michaelshellenberger.substack.com/p/green-dogma-behind-fall-of-sri-lanka

The world has gone mad.

Whilst the ban on conventional fertilizers may have caused problems in Sri Lanka, it's clear that the main cause of the misery is corruption by the hands of a political dynasty (who are also likely war criminals, incidentally.) This was conveniently not mentioned by Shellenberger in the blog you linked, which is not surprising seeing as he is a polemical troll who is beloved by the right. His leaning on technological solutions for the planet's environmental crises have been widely discredited, as have his victim-blaming tirades against homelessness. Perhaps you could link a more balanced analysis of Sri Lanka's problems so we could be better informed, or maybe you just want to stick it to the "green elites", whoever the hell they are?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here