Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spot kick was "very harsh" says Hughton as Albion are held [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Chris Hughton believes his side were denied by a “very harsh” penalty decision at Derby.
The Seagulls had to settle for a 2-2 draw, despite leading twice, as Chris Martin converted a late penalty.
Reasons for the spot kick were not immediately clear in some areas of the ground but it was given for Gordon Greer’s challenge after Johnny Russell had clipped the ball across goal.
Hughton would have loved to have seen his side extend their gap at the top – and he thought they were going to do it.

The Albion manager said: “I see it as a missed opportunity, but that’s why it’s a 90-minute game.“I think the penalty was very harsh unless someone shows me a better angle.
“There’s no doubt that Gordon Greer has to make the challenge. Russell still gets the cross in.
“Did he impede him? Yes, probably, but I’m not sure there was too much contact there.
4548181.jpg

Albion celebrate Rajiv van La Parra's goal
“It was a very harsh decision at that stage of the game.”
Hughton admitted a draw was arguably fair on the balance of play, despite his side twice going ahead through James Wilson and Rajiv van La Parra.
He added: “I thought it was a good quality game between two very good teams.
“Having taken the lead twice I don’t think anyone would have begrudged us but, on the balance of play, it was probably a fair result.
4548191.jpg

Chris Hughton talks to the media after the game
“There weren’t many clearcut chances in the game and at 2-1I thought we were going to hold on.
"You have to show different sides to your game, and at 2-1, we broke really well, and I think if we had a better pass delivered then we could have extended the lead.
"It’s a very hard place to come, particularly in the form that they are in."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here