Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spain, Portugal and er Ukraine - World Cup 2030

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Go Ukraine!

Let's get the Ruskies out and all head to Kyiv.

If they kick Putin out, then they could even risk qualifying themselves.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The other "credible" bid (bar SPA/POR/UKR and South America) is across 3 continents (Egypt, Saudi, Greece) so it's not actually the most far-fetched idea. With 48 teams an additional 16 games will be played so makes sense not to have it in one small country anymore.

N.B. this is not me saying I think that a 48 team World Cup or three host countries is a good idea in any way.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
my favourite world cup was Argentina 78

would love to see it back there

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd like to see Australia get the World Cup, they'd do a good job.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Spain and/or Portugal would be absolutely fantastic.

The climate could be challenging for some nations although there'd be ways round that I'm sure. The number of cities and towns in both countries would make it a no-brainer (if the Ukraine bid isn't a wind-up). Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Bilbao, Malaga, Valencia, Granada, Zaragoza for España with Lisbon, Porto (my favourite European City), Braga (lovely market city with historic medieval feel and deeply religious) and Guìmaraes on the western side for Portugal.

As for the football, these two soccer mad countries would make it the best World Cup in history with no bribes or commercially-driven schemes and low crime with sensible policing. It's not too big (like Russia was) or too small (like Qatar is). Simply beautiful and just perfect. 👌

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

The climate could be challenging for some nations although there'd be ways round that I'm sure. The number of cities and towns in both countries would make it a no-brainer (if the Ukraine bid isn't a wind-up). Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Bilbao, Malaga, Valencia, Granada, Zaragoza for España with Lisbon, Porto (my favourite European City), Braga (lovely market city with historic medieval feel and deeply religious) and Guìmaraes on the western side for Portugal.

As for the football, these two soccer mad countries would make it the best World Cup in history with no bribes or commercially-driven schemes and low crime with sensible policing. It's not too big (like Russia was) or too small (like Qatar is). Simply beautiful and just perfect. 👌

Plus… thousands of hotels, dozens of airports and a first class road infrastructure. It would make so much sense.
So FIFA will award it to the joint China & Saudi bid.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I'd vote Spain/Portugal. 82 World cup was awesome, Rossi, Brazil, Robson after 27 seconds, dirty German keeper....

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

So I'll take that as 'on the fence' then. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here