[Technology] Solar Panels

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely split equally on both sides of the roof, you want to generate electricity for as long as possible.
We have 6 on the south and 4 on our west facing roof. Works a treat.

As to batteries, it's a huge layout, we didn't get one and I'm still not sure it was worth us getting one, but then we don't have kids or have a lot of appliances working in the evening.

Set everything on timers to operate during the day. The only time you won't be generating electricity is if its proper raining cats and dogs. It's really easy once you get it in your head to do it this way.

Just watch how much kwh your system is planned to generate. I think if you go over 3.8 then you'll need to apply for a different exporting permit. I don't think they refuse, they just take longer. However ours doesn't, so someone might know better than me, so do the research.

With the way electricity prices are going you'll ultimately be quids in over the 20 years you're planning to live there. Mine's gone from 9 years to 5 years to pay it off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Definitely split equally on both sides of the roof, you want to generate electricity for as long as possible.
We have 6 on the south and 4 on our west facing roof. Works a treat.

As to batteries, it's a huge layout, we didn't get one and I'm still not sure it was worth us getting one, but then we don't have kids or have a lot of appliances working in the evening.

Set everything on timers to operate during the day. The only time you won't be generating electricity is if its proper raining cats and dogs. It's really easy once you get it in your head to do it this way.

Just watch how much kwh your system is planned to generate. I think if you go over 3.8 then you'll need to apply for a different exporting permit. I don't think they refuse, they just take longer. However ours doesn't, so someone might know better than me, so do the research.

With the way electricity prices are going you'll ultimately be quids in over the 20 years you're planning to live there. Mine's gone from 9 years to 5 years to pay it off.

Don't think battery price is that bad. We've got a quote for just under £5k for retro fit of battery but that includes new inverter as our 11 year old one isn't up to the job. With energy prices as they are it should pay for itself in a few years (orginal system, like yours, paid for itself in 5 years).

Our roof is WSW and has 18 panels.

With the benefit of hindsight, getting the panels was one of the best decisions I've made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports