Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Campbell

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In his position I think I'd be fecking happy and grateful for the success my talent brought me (plus the money) and not so bitter about "recognition" or not becoming a manager.
He did become a manager. He wasn't able to make a success of it. But no doubt that wasn't his fault.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My question is and has nothing to do with Sol .

Why the hell would anyone want or need one.

Most people who get one are crooks thieves and arse lickers.

Not sure I would want to be tarred with such a brush
I'm sure somebody can correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure most people who get an MBE or OBE are normal people who get it for doing good things. Those people just don't get in the national press.
My brother and sister's grandad got an MBE and they were all very proud and had a very nice day out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure somebody can correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure most people who get an MBE or OBE are normal people who get it for doing good things. Those people just don't get in the national press.
My brother and sister's grandad got an MBE and they were all very proud and had a very nice day out.
I have a friend whose mum was made an MBE for voluntary services to the homeless over a 20 year period in Winchester. How can it be that such dedication is lumped in with arse-licking Tory donors?

It needs replacing.

el punal

Careful what you say here. Many people (the vast majority) have earned their respective honours, whichever honour that may be, for very good reasons. Take the ‘most’ out of your comment and add a ‘few’ might be more acceptable.

As an aside, my Dad was an RAF pilot in the war, he was shot down and held as a prisoner of war for four years in Stalag Luft III (famous for the Great Escape). In that time he was adjutant for the British POWs to ensure their safety and well being - no easy task with trigger happy German guards around in those difficult times. For this service he was awarded the OBE.

I can assure you my Dad was not definitely not a crook, a thief or an arselicker.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

It’s for the EMPIRE, that fantastic British legacy we gave to the world! (Insert various atrocities inflicted on Africans/Indians/Carribean natives et al here. Bonus points for those mentioning the massacre of 400+ Jamaicans by us in 1865, Sol’s ancestral home)

:facepalm::wink:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The guy is a total bellend. And completely deluded. He was also one of the first players (wonder if he would insert the word 'black' here?) to absolutely screw over the club that gave him his big chance by stringing them along pretending he would sign a contract and then signing for their rivals for a massive signing on fee at the last minute.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I have a friend whose mum was made an MBE for voluntary services to the homeless over a 20 year period in Winchester. How can it be that such dedication is lumped in with arse-licking Tory donors?

It needs replacing.
Or we could just get rid of the Tory arse-lickers.:shrug:
I realise such an outcome seems unlikely. Call me a dreamer, I'm not the one.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Call it what it is , he is calling racism , i`m not buying that shit . He was a great player amongst a field of great BLACK players at THAT time , i don`t hear them bitching cos they didn`t get a sweety .

29/12/22 the greatest player that ever stood on grass , never had a bad word for anyone or anything , not just a symbol of Black football or South American football but of WORLD football , the example he showed has been witnessed by BILLIONS . And he never asked for ANY personal titles . ( But was so special as to be given an honorary Knighthood in 1997 ) .
I’d have money on Paul Ince saying something along those lines.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Which is great when that happens. Unfortunately many get it for being rich, having power, knowing the right people, or being in the right job etc.

It's become a joke that de-values the award for those that should receive it.

I know an OBE that received it for work in the public sector. Their work wasnt great, would never last in private sector hence spending their career where they were. The amount of money wasted due to such folk performing badly and continually distancing themselves from problems rather than sorting problems out is eye watering.

I was told way before it happened that they would get a promotion way beyond their means a year before retirement to boost the pension and then an OBE, because that's how it works. Low and behold, that is exactly what happened.

Undeserved, did nothing of note yet received an OBE.

Meanwhile, poor Sol .....

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Careful what you say here. Many people (the vast majority) have earned their respective honours, whichever honour that may be, for very good reasons. Take the ‘most’ out of your comment and add a ‘few’ might be more acceptable.

As an aside, my Dad was an RAF pilot in the war, he was shot down and held as a prisoner of war for four years in Stalag Luft III (famous for the Great Escape). In that time he was adjutant for the British POWs to ensure their safety and well being - no easy task with trigger happy German guards around in those difficult times. For this service he was awarded the OBE.

I can assure you my Dad was not definitely not a crook, a thief or an arselicker.
I'm not sure it is only a few. Those like your Dad and the guy working tirelessly for homeless etc are clearly very worthy recipients, it really means something. It is a celebration and recognition of something very special.

Compare and contrast with others and you realise how shocking the Tory arselicking contingent are being. Thoroughly devaluing it.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I'm not sure it is only a few. Those like your Dad and the guy working tirelessly for homeless etc are clearly very worthy recipients, it really means something. It is a celebration and recognition of something very special.

Compare and contrast with others and you realise how shocking the Tory arselicking contingent are being. Thoroughly devaluing it.
Whereas the list of people who were honoured during the Blair/Brown years were all so deserving and didn’t devalue it at all?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Whereas the list of people who were honoured during the Blair/Brown years were all so deserving and didn’t devalue it at all?
Absolutely not! It's the system that enables and encourages it. Clearly and obviously the criminals in power for the last 12 years have upped the ante but it's always been shit. I only mentioned Tory arselickers as that is pertinent to recent posts and threads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here