Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So What is our "TOP TOP TARGET"

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm going to make a prediction. Stay with me. I think we are not only going to remain unbeaten all season but I think we will win every game, probably by a 4-1 margin.

I'm just contacting my turf accountant for some odds.
I'd also contact the bar staff to cut you off! :laugh: :drink:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So, few assumptions to put in place:

1. Bloom wants the club to continue improving and progressing.
2. We land the transfer targets we need to give De Zerbi the squad strength and depth he wants.

Which means ... a "Top Top Target" is not just a "what we're hoping to get for this season" or "match last season", but actually an "if everything goes according to plan what's the stretch target?" type of target.

For me, that must be CL qualification. Quite possible a double-act of top 4 Premier League finish combined with a Europa win or domestic cup win.

De Zerbi won't be shy of pushing on. He'll know that with just a few small things going our way at key times, CL qualification was obtainable last season. While we've lost 2 key players from that squad, I suspect he thinks he can go a step or two further even with our current squad without any further transfers in. Any additional incomings, in particular a ready-to-go defensive mid to replace Caicedo, would only cement that.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
In his post match comments on Saturday, and after the Luton game, Roberto De Zerbi spoke about our Top Top Target.

In 2011/12 the target was to stay in the Championship, and thereafter to achieve promotion to the Premier League.
After Chris Hughton achieved promotion in 2016/17, the initial target was to stay in the Premier League.

But after just one season, 2018/19, Tony Bloom and Paul Barber set out the new target to become a Top Ten Premier League club.
Graham Potter achieved this in 2021/22

And last season, 2022/23, our Roberto achieved sixth place and a Europa League spot.

So what target has Roberto been given this 2023/24 season?

Higher than sixth?

A trophy?

What do you think?

I don't think this is a club target that RDZ has been given.

He will have his own target to finish TOP.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT says :

Under Roberto de Zerbi, Brighton's attacking stats are frightening​

By Daniel Zeqiri
Just how good are Roberto De Zerbi's Brighton? They are considered upwardly mobile, widely acclaimed for their pioneering playing style and tipped to challenge the established big six clubs once again.

But what if they are already better than that? Most pre-season predictions had Manchester United and Liverpool joining Manchester City and Arsenal in the Champions League places, but based on performance in 2023 Brighton have strong claims to be a top-four team.

They have accumulated 1.83 points per game this calendar year, the fifth best return in the league, sandwiched between Arsenal and Liverpool. If Brighton's points-per-game tally was multiplied across a 38-game season, it would give them a total of 69 or 70. That would have guaranteed Champions League football in three of the past 10 seasons, and put Brighton on the cusp in several others.

Brighton have scored eight goals in their first two games of this season, albeit against Luton Town and Wolves, and their attacking production in 2023 is simply astounding. De Zerbi's team have amassed more shots per game than any team in the division with 18.5 and produced a whopping 2.39 expected goals per game. That is comfortably the best in the Premier League, higher than Manchester City's 2.05 over the same period.

Brighton's cavalier style makes them a touch vulnerable defensively, something on display even in the 4-1 victory at Wolves on Saturday. In 2023, they have given up 1.39 expected goals per game, which puts them seventh in the Premier League for this defensive metric.

However, that still gives Brighton the second-best expected goal difference per game this year at +1, bettered only by Man City's +1.14 xG per game. Brighton's differential is higher than Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool. Interestingly, the third best is Newcastle United, suggesting their place among the league's best sides is no fluke either.

Unfortunately for Brighton, calendar-year performance is only a snapshot and prizes are handed out based on a different timeline: August to May. The vast majority of this performance was achieved with Alexis Mac Allister and Moises Caicedo, who were sold this summer, and remaining buoyant without them will prove a challenge.

But as we sit here today, Brighton should be considered one of the four best teams in the league no matter the badge on their chest.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So, few assumptions to put in place:

1. Bloom wants the club to continue improving and progressing.
2. We land the transfer targets we need to give De Zerbi the squad strength and depth he wants.

Which means ... a "Top Top Target" is not just a "what we're hoping to get for this season" or "match last season", but actually an "if everything goes according to plan what's the stretch target?" type of target.

For me, that must be CL qualification. Quite possible a double-act of top 4 Premier League finish combined with a Europa win or domestic cup win.

De Zerbi won't be shy of pushing on. He'll know that with just a few small things going our way at key times, CL qualification was obtainable last season. While we've lost 2 key players from that squad, I suspect he thinks he can go a step or two further even with our current squad without any further transfers in. Any additional incomings, in particular a ready-to-go defensive mid to replace Caicedo, would only cement that.
Exactly. BIG difference between a 'top TOP target' and a 'target'.

As an aside, good to see Roberto channeling his inner 'arry Redknapp, with the "top TOP" chat – not just the target, but how he described Mitoma after the Wolves game :lolol:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Well then my target is winning the league :lolol: A target still needs to be realistic and personally I think all things considered, top 4 is unrealistic with the investment going on at other clubs/players we’ve lost.

Expectations are high after 2x4-1 wins but I’m not 100% convinced with our current squad how we will stand up against a more mobile team.
100% agree with this. Our two results so far have been great, but against woeful opposition. I'm worried about how are central midfield will cope against the better sides.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
100% agree with this. Our two results so far have been great, but against woeful opposition. I'm worried about how are central midfield will cope against the better sides.
i think there are clues in the 2 games that we will get a bit over run and struggle . We might get away with it v West Ham altough very interesting.

We need some physicality right in the middle.

Beleba you tube looks exactly the style needed , all be it in a crap league and limited game time. If he can do in the prem what he looks to be doing in France then we can achieve anything. Interesting to see who we have up our sleeves though.

Loads of goals in us and will be entertaining whatever

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If we win a trophy, how much will Chelsea offer us for it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here