Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was always a massive fan of Tull. But not only is Ian's voice shot, the band members are all pale imitations of the originals whether he calls them Jethro Tull or not on the night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was always a massive fan of Tull. But not only is Ian's voice shot, the band members are all pale imitations of the originals whether he calls them Jethro Tull or not on the night.

Wow.

At least you've comapred like (live) with like. But I do feel the handy used to film the latter gives it an unfair disadvantage. Anderson is also deliberately singing after the note so to speak, rather than on it as he used to do. One assumes it is deliberate, if a bit misguided.

But the guy was 71 when the second vid was recorded.

Incidentally, amazing how much the young Anderson looked like Julian Barratt of Mighty Boosh fame :lolol:

jethro tull.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wow.

At least you've comapred like (live) with like. But I do feel the handy used to film the latter gives it an unfair disadvantage. Anderson is also deliberately singing after the note so to speak, rather than on it as he used to do. One assumes it is deliberate, if a bit misguided.

But the guy was 71 when the second vid was recorded.

Incidentally, amazing how much the young Anderson looked like Julian Barratt of Mighty Boosh fame :lolol:

View attachment 123201

You're right on all counts. But Ian's voice is still shot and the second clip is one of his better attempts to stay in tune in recent years. Last time I saw him was in 2012 for a TAAB 1 & 2 tour. He had the unexpected humility to have a second singer who faded in and out for the high range and it made it enjoyable enough, but Ian is a hard listen now. Funnily enough, the second vocalist popped up again as Ray Davies in Sunny Afternoon at The Theatre Royal. There are a lot of talented performers just under the radar. Let's hope for some live music again soon because I'm missing it more than football.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bowie
Michael Jackson

Paul Banks of Interpol - far better (particularly live) now than in the early days, when he was too young to really nail the baritone.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The Legend that is Leslie West, a lot like Keith Richards in the fact he really shouldn't be alive with the life he's led. But he is and even though he lost a leg to Diabetes in 2011 and comes on stage in an electric wheelchair this is what he sounds like 43 years after he recorded this with Mountain in 1970. Performing on stage with another legend Peter Frampton, Leslie was 68 when this was recorded, stunning!

Here's the original in 1970.

And here he is 43 years later. Warning, he's a little bit sweary at the begining so I suppose it's NSFW :lolol:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
You're right on all counts. But Ian's voice is still shot and the second clip is one of his better attempts to stay in tune in recent years. Last time I saw him was in 2012 for a TAAB 1 & 2 tour. He had the unexpected humility to have a second singer who faded in and out for the high range and it made it enjoyable enough, but Ian is a hard listen now. Funnily enough, the second vocalist popped up again as Ray Davies in Sunny Afternoon at The Theatre Royal. There are a lot of talented performers just under the radar. Let's hope for some live music again soon because I'm missing it more than football.

I agree entirely - the TAAB 1+ 2 band was pretty good as it allowed Ian to dodge the high notes and not to do that awful straining thing he does with his neck.
Seeing him a couple of years ago at a festival he was back to the straining thing again - a huge disappointment. However Martin Barre's band is superb and he really is the one carrying the Tull flag now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here