Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sharm El Sheikh

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh, and there are thousands and thousands of Russians there, which means an awful lot of overweight, sunbed-tanned men in Speedos and chunky gold jewellery, drinking industrial quantities of vodka and chain smoking. Although they do normally have some fit, scantily clad 18 year old hanging off their arm ( just don't get caught looking - by them or the misses ).

You missed the key bit of info.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Dreadful place! Don’t bother
We stayed in a supposed 5* was more like an average 3*
The food was so bad people were having McDonalds and KFC’s delivered to the hotel…..

Pro’s
Weather
Diving

Con’s
Bad Food – Seriously Bad!
Dreadful local people (constant begging, harassing etc..)
Russians – Plenty already said about them
Poor quality alcohol
Rip off excursions – We did quad biking and Bedouin Meal (complete joke)

Yes Egypt is good value, but seriously spend a little bit more and go to the Caribbean!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes Egypt is good value, but seriously spend a little bit more and go to the Caribbean!

'A little more' - I love the caribbean, but you're talking like 2x/3x the price for somewhere decent, surely?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
'A little more' - I love the caribbean, but you're talking like 2x/3x the price for somewhere decent, surely?

No No No.... You would be suppressed!
Some great value holidays to Cuba (highly recommend), Dom Rep (umm so so), and of course Mexico (huge choice)
I reckon around £150 per person more max

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The food was so bad people were having McDonalds and KFC’s delivered to the hotel…..

Pro’s
Weather
Diving

Con’s
Poor quality alcohol

What do you expect when you've got a bunch of tourists staying in big, all inclusive resorts adding zero benefit to the local economy?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Pro’s
Weather
Diving

Con’s
Poor quality alcohol

So the whole of Sharm is a write off because you stayed in one bad hotel?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Of course not, but there are some less than positive views of Sharm on here not to mention work colleagues and friends who have also been and around 75% of which have vowed never to return!
FWI – I have stayed in many places in many different countries and Sharm is by far the worst. I’m by no means a fussy eater but the food out there is just vile!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
What do you expect when you've got a bunch of tourists staying in big, all inclusive resorts adding zero benefit to the local economy?

I except your point, but as stated in the post above I’m fortunate to have stayed in a wide verity of place including India/Sri Lanka, various parts of Africa and South America all of which have areas rife with poverty but the people are far more respectful and in some ways charming, Yes the may beg but do understand the word NO! I found the people of Egypt to be very aggressive both towards myself and partner who was groped and manhandled on a number of occasions (seriously!).
Hey each to their own I guess….

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Had 10 days out there a couple of years ago and loved it. Hotel was great, the staff were friendly. My daughter had her 21st out there, they decorated her sunbed with streamers and balloons, couldn't do enough for us. We had a few nights out in Naama Bay which was fun, found a fabulous Mexican restaurant there which we went back to on the final night. Soho Square is a good night out. Check out the ice Bar - where the walls, tables, bar etc are all made of solid ice. Quad biking in the Sinai was a blast. Nice beaches, and the water stays shallow for about a mile before dropping off, so you can wander along the pontoon and see all manner of amazing fish swimming around.

DO NOT take any pictures of you or the kids with the camels they have wondering around though. They will immediately ask for money (the owners, not the camels). Its a right old scam, and I saw a fair few arguments on the beach and in the resort as a result.

I'd go back though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I except your point, but as stated in the post above I’m fortunate to have stayed in a wide verity of place including India/Sri Lanka, various parts of Africa and South America all of which have areas rife with poverty but the people are far more respectful and in some ways charming, Yes the may beg but do understand the word NO! I found the people of Egypt to be very aggressive both towards myself and partner who was groped and manhandled on a number of occasions (seriously!).
Hey each to their own I guess….

Fair enough, mate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course not, but there are some less than positive views of Sharm on here not to mention work colleagues and friends who have also been and around 75% of which have vowed never to return!
FWI – I have stayed in many places in many different countries and Sharm is by far the worst. I’m by no means a fussy eater but the food out there is just vile!

Sharm is just a holiday resort, it's just massive hotels next to a desert, I never left the hotel complex for our week! I would describe a holiday there as totally dependent on your hotel. The food is dependent on your hotel catering and chefs. When I went we were lucky, had a good hotel, food was pretty nice as it goes, beach, windsurfing and snorkelling was amazing as were the pool facilities for the kids. For a weeks holiday break it was great value, but given all this, the hotel choice is absolutely crucial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here