Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Scouting and new head scout

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's an especially timely point to make, but I'd wager that they're just as competent as the CB, FB and midfield scouts, but just not required to be as busy.
Bloom finds ways of making his money go further and, given fees and wages for strikers are grossly inflated as against other positions, one way of doing this is to have fewer strikers in the squad. This has consistently been the case since we've been in the PL.
Scouting Ostigard springs to mind with Haland playing in the same team.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Screenshot_20220408-143155_Gallery.jpg

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Absolutely! The kiddie who ran to the middle of the pitch and started the Grand Howl was me!!

I've recently had strange urges to run into the middle of the Amex in the middle of a match and howl uncontrollably.

(But that picture is magnificent. I must have turned into a boy-scout by 1966. The scout district commissioner behind Mrs B-P looks like a clone for the one for East Sussex at the time: retired WW2 colonel).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
perhaps the scouts are doing just fine, and presenting a constantly updated list of strikers- its just the buying them bit that has gone awry-I doubt the scouts negotiate-they would just say these players fit what we need- its up to others to go and get them surely?

No idea. You'd think they'd be in the negotiations to a degree. Maybe they're fine, maybe not.

All I see is the effects on the pitch. Or lack of them.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Oh you can doubt the club, but I reckon it’s more about budget / ability to get deals done than scouting

Hate to disagree, but, well, I disagree. They either have scouts that are told to find strikers within our budget and structure and failing miserably, or if they don't exist, then what's the point of striker scouts trying to find something that doesn't exist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Edit: somehow posted cricket thoughts in the wrong thread.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Are you absolutely sure it was the wrong thread?

Even by NSC's high eclectic standards this thread is doing some serious willy waving.
I'll hazard a guess your cricket thoughts would have gone completely unnoticed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hate to disagree, but, well, I disagree. They either have scouts that are told to find strikers within our budget and structure and failing miserably, or if they don't exist, then what's the point of striker scouts trying to find something that doesn't exist.

So you think scouts do more than watch and provide analysis on players ? That they then also get in touch with the player or agents or the club to find out how much they’d sell for,
Salary expectations etc ? I don’t think so…

Given how lacking our recruitment has been in the striker department for 10 years or so know and many different personnel have changed I’m confident it’s not the scouts…

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
So you think scouts do more than watch and provide analysis on players ? That they then also get in touch with the player or agents or the club to find out how much they’d sell for,
Salary expectations etc ? I don’t think so.

Wonder how much time our scouts spent looking at that Christiano bloke at Juve before he came to the UK again or the Yeovil Town striker if they have zero constraints.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
And you don't look a day different. But you really should stop trying to squeeze into that uniform.
Thank you. Yes, it's a bit tight under the armpits nowadays!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Are you absolutely sure it was the wrong thread?

Even by NSC's high eclectic standards this thread is doing some serious willy waving.
I'll hazard a guess your cricket thoughts would have gone completely unnoticed.

Blimey, I don't think me and Jack Straw discovering that we're both old men and went to the same Boy Scout Jamboree in 1966 can possibly be described as 'willy waving'. Zimmer frame waving maybe. (And of course taking the thread wildly O/T - for which I did apologise).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we only have 4 of them and 1 is solely for CB's then we may struggle to recruit well to all positions.

Presumably 1 is assigned to GK & another 1 to CM which is why we have plenty of GK's CB's & CM's. I'd suggest we get in another to focus on ST, CF & WF

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Salary expectations etc ? I don’t think so…

Given how lacking our recruitment has been in the striker department for 10 years or so know and many different personnel have changed I’m confident it’s not the scouts…

This is actually a pretty major part of what a scout does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here