Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scott Parker sacked

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I hadn't see the Liverpool post match interview, so I went to look it up on YouTube. Surprisingly, Bournemouth didn't put it on their own channel...

But I found it here. Yeah, if you haven't seen it, it's bad. Really bad. You only need to watch a few seconds to get a feel for it. His voice, his body language. A man totally defeated.

3 Points from those first 4 games is about as good as anybody might have expected from them, but conceding 16 goals does ring some massive alarm bells. Was he just hopelessly naïve? Did he think after Liverpool's slow start that they might be there for the taking?

As others have said. It does seem ultimately that he fell out with the owners and they weren't going to stand for him criticizing the club and their strategy.

Bournemouth definitely favorites for relegation now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We've spent £24 million this summer plus three free transfers. The issue is with players winding down contracts and getting them cheap or on a free is you don't have a level playing field of how much they're worth in an open market, especially when a PL club comes knocking. So that figure could conceivably be £35 million with Fredericks, Rothwell, Neto I dunno, also the window isn't shut and there was talk of more coming in this week.

I guess you're looking at transfer markt for your figures. In that case last season (including January) we spent £11.3 million however the total market value of those players is far in excess of that. We were known as big spenders in the Championship, with a squad valued at £144 million (apparently) . As I said we're trying to grow off the pitch building the new academy etc, we have few expectations in the PL other than give it a go, personally if we could be a competitive championship club most of us would be happy with a bit of yo yo 'ing with odd dabble at the top table.

Although we thought we'd struggle we thought we had enough to make a proper go of it and still do, however that's the managers job to motivate. Instead he did a brilliant job of belittling them and slagging off the board...nah sod him.

All those qualifiers apply to every other promoted club in every other season. They don't give a specific narrative as to why Bournemouth have spent less than their competitors. I'd imagine that a precarious financial situation following spending time in the Championship during the pandemic would provide a possible reason for the owners prioritising sustainability at this stage. Going public is dodgy, but I can't really blame Parker for having the view that Bournemouth's squad's not up to it. It seems to be the view of most people in football. None of the relegation battling old warhorse will be joining as manager if there's no kitty promised and your best hope seems to be to get in a young manager for the long term and make it clear that this season is a free swing.

'Arry's not still advising from his big house in Sandbanks is he? You can just imagine him being on the dog to Parker saying 'Yorr daan to the bare bones Scoddy. If I woz you, I'd go to d'press. Make 'em splash some cash befaw d'winda shaats.'

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I hadn't see the Liverpool post match interview, so I went to look it up on YouTube. Surprisingly, Bournemouth didn't put it on their own channel...

But I found it here. Yeah, if you haven't seen it, it's bad. Really bad. You only need to watch a few seconds to get a feel for it. His voice, his body language. A man totally defeated.

3 Points from those first 4 games is about as good as anybody might have expected from them, but conceding 16 goals does ring some massive alarm bells. Was he just hopelessly naïve? Did he think after Liverpool's slow start that they might be there for the taking?

As others have said. It does seem ultimately that he fell out with the owners and they weren't going to stand for him criticizing the club and their strategy.

Bournemouth definitely favorites for relegation now.

His response to the last question seems to be saying everything without saying anything. He indicates that he thinks similar beatings may be be coming this season and, when the follow up asks whether he still hopes to bring more quality in, he says that there are reasons why they haven't been able to that are not connected with players not wanting to come. He says 'circumstances' and 'millions of reasons', but I can't imagine any that aren't connected to money. He says that "It depends whether them issues resolve, or we make a decision." This could either be talking about what the club are willing to invest impacting upon whether he (the Royal We) quits, but not knowing the source of Maxim Demin's wealth, (Something to do with petrochemicals?) I do wonder whether these 'circumstances' are meaning that investment is not possible rather than not desirable. [MENTION=10251]afcb[/MENTION] Demin's always been a bit of a mystery. Are there any rumours about anything among your fans?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've spent £24 million this summer plus three free transfers. The issue is with players winding down contracts and getting them cheap or on a free is you don't have a level playing field of how much they're worth in an open market, especially when a PL club comes knocking. So that figure could conceivably be £35 million with Fredericks, Rothwell, Neto I dunno, also the window isn't shut and there was talk of more coming in this week.

I guess you're looking at transfer markt for your figures. In that case last season (including January) we spent £11.3 million however the total market value of those players is far in excess of that. We were known as big spenders in the Championship, with a squad valued at £144 million (apparently) . As I said we're trying to grow off the pitch building the new academy etc, we have few expectations in the PL other than give it a go, personally if we could be a competitive championship club most of us would be happy with a bit of yo yo 'ing with odd dabble at the top table.

Although we thought we'd struggle we thought we had enough to make a proper go of it and still do, however that's the managers job to motivate. Instead he did a brilliant job of belittling them and slagging off the board...nah sod him.

If that's going to be your level of spending then it is inevitable you will drop out of the Prem at the first attempt, regardless of who is manager.

Burnley is a windswept place and a rough town, and they have a history of punching above their weight. Their capacity is also double that of the Vitality Stadium and the fans are loud. Throw in Sean Dyche and you have something to work with.

Contrast that with sunny Bournemouth, an 11,000 stadium, a nice day out. Christ, we find it hard enough to win at home and our crowds are 30,000+.

The bottom line is Bournemouth appointed Jonathan Woodgate who could not get them up, then turned to Parker who won them promotion and a guaranteed minimum income of £170 million across this and the next 2 seasons. They have reinvested a fraction of that sum and I think Parker is entitled to feel miffed.

The minimum spend should be £50 million; Fulham have spent c. £55-£60mill. I get that Parker might have said the wrong things but regardless of that a low spend could take them out of a 'yo-yo' spot they share with Norwich, Watford, Fulham, Sheffield Utd and West Brom. Forest's eye-watering spending will - at worst - guarantee them a yo-yo spot in the near future, or they could survive and send down someone like Southampton, who are well equipped to handle relegation.

I could see Bournemouth being squeezed out of the mix here. Before when they were relegated they still had a number of stars they could sell to raise cash - Wilson, Fraser, Mings, Ramsdale, Ake, King, but there is precious little quality in this squad.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
'Arry's not still advising from his big house in Sandbanks is he? You can just imagine him being on the dog to Parker saying 'Yorr daan to the bare bones Scoddy. If I woz you, I'd go to d'press. Make 'em splash some cash befaw d'winda shaats.'

:lol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think it's that much you do with the season. A lot of Bournemouth's support was unimpressed with him last year, thought he was too defensive, not getting anywhere near enough from the squad he had and felt very lucky to have for promoted. There was some thoughts as to that he might be let go at the end of that season despite promotion as there was little confidence in him being successful in the PL. He's now spent a month criticising his own players, it's not a big surprise to replace him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the manager who spared us (and Dunky) from facing Mitrovic most of the time, for that I am grateful :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here