Votes: 58 56.3%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Scholes technically.

Gerrard influentially.

Both absolutely fantastic players who should have been better utilised by useless Sven (yes I'm still angry about it).

I can't decide because they weren't the same type of player.

It feels like asking who's better, Dunk or Murray?

It's really not, it's like asking who is better Bissouma or Stephens

Stumpy Tim

Gerrard was at his best when he needed to carry others. Scholes played in a great Man Utd team, but wouldn't have been as effective in the Liverpool team Gerrard carried. However, I don't think Gerrard would have been as effective in that Man Utd team.

I can't split them, though both were better than Lampard

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Lots of across "second club lines" on this thread

I can't stand Liverpool and Man U equally.

Better player? Scholes may have had better technique, but if I could choose either for a team I was building it would be Gerrard. No hesitation.

Both had mediocre England careers so neither have a particular claim to greatness in my view

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Scholes, in superior teams:
PL goals 107
PL assists 55
PL big chances created 5
PL through balls 44
PL passes per match 20

Gerrard, in inferior teams:
PL goals 120
PL assists 92
PL big chances created 34
PL through balls 1195
PL passes per match 30

I think both were great to play with. Not to mention their immense CL stats.

A shame that Gerrard missed the 2002 WC Finals. Butt took his place.

Scholes pass completion rate 92.5%, 9.9 average accurate long balls per game.
Gerrard pass completion rate 83%, 5.9 average accurate long balls per game.

"What's it like to be the best player in the world?"
"I don't know, ask Paul Scholes."
Z. Zidane.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't think I've ever seen a player control a game in quite the way that Scholes did. He was, though, a shocking tackler. Both of these were very fine players but I'd pick Gerrard before Scholes - more pace, more box to box and that ability to motivate others. (It would have been interesting to see them switch teams.) And then there's Lampard.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scholes had plenty of talent but had a nasty streak, Gerrard did the odd daft tackle but nothing like Scholes. Gerrard was the more complete midfielder, often he had to carry the Liverpool team pretty much on his own. I think at least one Liverpool FA cup was pretty much Gerrard on his own.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Steven Gerrard by far the most gifted player of the two.

He is of the ilk of midfielders like Michel Arteta and Gary Mc Allister. Superb Footballers who can influence a full 90 mins of a football match

But then you get other players like Scholars and David Platt and Timmy Cahill that when your side is struggling in a match. Those type of players who can get you a goal from the unlikeliest of circumstances.

Those players are less gifted in terms of footballing ability but in many ways the can be just as valuable. If not more so in some situations.

I think Deli Ali falls into the latter category as well

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gerrard for me. Probably the most complete England midfielder since Bryan Robson, a great leader too but he gets my vote because of his versatility. I remember him standing in for Liverpool at right-back and his energy was exceptional, like Roberto Carlos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here