Sacrilege!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whoever came up with this idea should be put in front of a firing squad (obviously not Mainwaring's men though)...

David Jason as Corporal Jones? Allegedly he was thought of for the part in the original TV show. Will reserve judgment if it happens.

Billy Connolly as Fraser?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I will reserve judgement till I've seen it but I can't see it measuring up to the original

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Depends how it's done and it's a film after all.

Dad's Army was a rare example of a 70s comedy taken to the big screen that worked.

The Star Trek "reboot" obviously worked.

If the makers take the approach that the actors are playing the actors playing the roles - then it will work. As much a homage to the cast as the programme.

I'm looking forward to this.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Depends how it's done and it's a film after all.

Dad's Army was a rare example of a 70s comedy taken to the big screen that worked.

The Star Trek "reboot" obviously worked.

If the makers take the approach that the actors are playing the actors playing the roles - then it will work. As much a homage to the cast as the programme.

I'm looking forward to this.
Then they should make a film about the making of the TV program, I'd watch that, bet it would be more interesting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Then they should make a film about the making of the TV program, I'd watch that, bet it would be more interesting.

It's been done.

Again I think this idea comes off the back of some successful reboots but also the spate of dramas about comedians. Within the latter there were sequences of performance.

Where it will fail is if the new cast try to play the characters in their own way.

The point I was trying to make is Dad's Army is as much about the actors as the roles they played. The early episodes are quite different to what it became. Rather than the actors growing into their roles the script writers developed the scripts around the actual characters of the actors. Mainwaring and Wilson were very very similar in character to the actors that played them.

Similar I guess to Steptoe and Son to a certain extent (in terms of their relationship) which is why that particular drama came across so well.

I disagree with Bens Grandad. It's very funny, timeless and in my opinion the best sitcom that was ever made.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports