Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Russell T Davies returning to Doctor Who

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Russell T Davies to return to Doctor Who as showrunner
The Queer As Folk and It’s a Sin creator first revived the science-fiction series for the BBC in 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-davies-to-return-to-doctor-who-as-showrunner

One wonders if the BBC are bringing in the steadiest of hands to bring the audiences back.

It's safe to say Whittaker and Chibnall have divided opinion. Not to mention issues people have with the latter Moffatt era.

Regardless of why it's pretty exciting.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Fantastic news ! I really liked his fun first 4 series.

Back to basics Doctor Who. I hope he can recapture the magic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've been rewatching the earlier revived series and honestly they're much better than I remember, so this is a great move, was never quite the same post-Smith

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've been rewatching the earlier revived series and honestly they're much better than I remember, so this is a great move, was never quite the same post-Smith

Yeah we've been re-watching them all recently.

We're just into Matt Smith's second series. I got into New Who with Matt Smith so I love it but it's definitely different to the RTD era. You can almost sense Moffatt flexing his Sherlock muscles and it doesn't always pay off.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is VERY good news. If he had been around for Jodie some folk may have been kinder in their analysis of her.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
both Capaldi and Jodie could and should have been great Doctors, they are both great actors, however the writing and direction of the show simply went down hill after Davies left, Moffat had some good ideas but it was during his time that the show started to go from must see to ill give it a watch at some point if I have nothing else to watch

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I remember watching the first new series of Dr Who in 2005 which Russell T Davies wrote & produced, along with my two young children it was a must watch on a Saturday evening, it took me right back to when I was a lad and had avidly watched it in the 70's, pure joy and nostalgia.

Then in 2009 they announced Russell was leaving the show, I had my fears that the programme would never hit the highs again, and I was proved right.

Moving away from Dr Who I had seen Russell was writing a new series, 2021 heralded his highly aclaimed 'It's a Sin', well it was bloody fantastic of course.

Talent is everlasting, watch out for Dr Who in 2022 when it will hit the high notes again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah we've been re-watching them all recently.

We're just into Matt Smith's second series. I got into New Who with Matt Smith so I love it but it's definitely different to the RTD era. You can almost sense Moffatt flexing his Sherlock muscles and it doesn't always pay off.

We watched the lot again last year. The Ecclestone and Jock series are very immediate and still good on second watch. Matt Smith, very good but not as 'euphoric' second time around. The Malcolm Tucker was disappointing first time round but absolutely stunning second time of watching. And the last Dr series was also much better, second time. Expectations....

So I am really looking forward to the next chapter of a cultural icon I have loved since 1963.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Great news that he’s returning- Moffat tried to be too clever for his own good and Chibnall was honestly just pretty poor. The Davies era did peter out near the end, but hopefully his time away from the role and doing some fantastic projects since has reinvigorated him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
both Capaldi and Jodie could and should have been great Doctors, they are both great actors, however the writing and direction of the show simply went down hill after Davies left, Moffat had some good ideas but it was during his time that the show started to go from must see to ill give it a watch at some point if I have nothing else to watch

All I can say is give them another go. :thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We watched the lot again last year. The Ecclestone and Jock series are very immediate and still good on second watch. Matt Smith, very good but not as 'euphoric' second time around. The Malcolm Tucker was disappointing first time round but absolutely stunning second time of watching. And the last Dr series was also much better, second time. Expectations....

So I am really looking forward to the next chapter of a cultural icon I have loved since 1963.

I'm really looking forward to re-watching Capaldi. Keen to see how Whittaker holds up to a second viewing as well so this is encouraging.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Such good news. The writing under Chibnall has been abysmal. The last series was almost unwatchable.

The BBC getting RTD to come back is HUGE. Dr Who is still an important franchise and they desperately needed a safe pair of hands... a phrase that doesn't do RTD justice tbh. Years and Years, It's a Sin etc he makes event television and it's the shot in the arm the show needed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking for a Dr Who thread to post this on.

Guess who is still alive? I saw him killed and turned into a dessicated corpse in an episode in the early 60s. Nightmares!

And here he is, still:

1701630604614.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here