Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Rugby League no relegation.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not something that i watch myself,and you are paying consultants to kill what little you have,the mind boggles. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63063549
If that had been a spoof written by rugby union bosses who want to kill the competition, I wouldn't be surprised. They are taking all the things that didn't work under Maurice Lindsay, which have been reintroduced several times since and have failed every time, and saying they want to try them again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, we are talking about a competition here where the team that finishes top of the League still has to enter into the Playoffs against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams, and win a SF and a Final, before actually being declared Champions. So they might as well f*ck it all up at the other end of the table as well.

Ridiculous sport primarily for northern goons. Its immediately dismissed from my telly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, we are talking about a competition here where the team that finishes top of the League still has to enter into the Playoffs against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams, and win a SF and a Final, before actually being declared Champions. So they might as well f*ck it all up at the other end of the table as well.

Ridiculous sport primarily for northern goons. Its immediately dismissed from my telly.

It was never on my telly to start with. Any game involving an egg shaped ball l sheer well away from.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Didn’t realise there were enough obscure suburbs of Leeds to justify more than one division in the first place.

Game mostly consists of slogging up and down the middle third of the pitch without either team ever getting anywhere, so maybe the idea of ‘no relegation’ suits the format. Add in ‘no champions’ too, and it’ll be rugby league personified.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately the sport was royally f***** when Union went pro although they temporarily put their ‘finger in the Dyke’ with the move to the summer fixture list, it would take a few years but ultimately the sport will end up not be able to sustain a professional existence.

Sad for the really tight RL ‘communities’ like St Helens, Wigan etc, but many will just see it as progress.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

don't they have this in Rugby Union as well?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Didn’t realise there were enough obscure suburbs of Leeds to justify more than one division in the first place.

Game mostly consists of slogging up and down the middle third of the pitch without either team ever getting anywhere, so maybe the idea of ‘no relegation’ suits the format. Add in ‘no champions’ too, and it’ll be rugby league personified.

You shouldn't think that just because the North of England is such a hotbed of football compared with the barren south, that we don't have room for other sports too. :wink:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

:rolleyes: there's only one team in Leeds - Leeds Rhinos.

There are three in Kirklees (Huddersfield), three in Wakefield and two in Hull though.

It's considerably more enjoyable than Union IMHO and Headingley Stadium is fantastic - and shows exactly how modern football stadiums could be with terraces:

a.PNG

b.PNG

But for some reason a 20,000 capacity stadium with terraces is ok for rugby league, but not football. So much so that a lot of fans even talk as if this couldn't possibly happen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I quite like rugby league. The ball handling is MILES better than in union and the tries tend to be far more watchable. I mean there are good tries in union too, but sticking the ball up the jumper of a fat bloke in the front row and burrowing over isn't really a terrific spectacle.

The problem is that League has been hopelessly mismanaged everywhere except in Queensland and NSW to the extent that it is just not competitive and the biggest games are the state of origin series. The Aussies hardly care about Test matches and World Cups because apart from once or twice, they always win. And as has already been said, Lindsay has already overseen some of these crap ideas and they didn't work. Having one team based in Toronto (just 5,000 miles from filthy rich money bags clubs like, er, Wakefield and Salford) was an absolute world beater. As was no promotion for years for a proper club like Hull KR. :rolleyes:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Similar to AFL (Aussie Rules) here. After a ‘normal ish’ league campaign, usually played in shared stadiums, the top eight then enter an awkwardly contrived knock out competition. Utterly meaningless. Added to which, historical clubs get moved in the campaign to make the competition more nationwide. This years losing finalists were Sydney Swans which used to be South Melbourne, note the catchy animal sounding nickname created, ‘The Swans’, no geographical link to make relocation far less of an issue.

Tosh.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Similar to AFL (Aussie Rules) here. After a ‘normal ish’ league campaign, usually played in shared stadiums, the top eight then enter an awkwardly contrived knock out competition. Utterly meaningless. Added to which, historical clubs get moved in the campaign to make the competition more nationwide. This years losing finalists were Sydney Swans which used to be South Melbourne, note the catchy animal sounding nickname created, ‘The Swans’, no geographical link to make relocation far less of an issue.

Tosh.

When in Australia in 2017 went to a couple of games and got chatting to a family who have flown from M/B to Adelaide (The Oval) and talked about this cartel regards relegation and they didn't like it at all. We actually liked the 'footy' but would be doubtful about following any team if P or R was not core concept point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
don't they have this in Rugby Union as well?

I have no idea. And I have no interest in finding out.

Tosh.

I've always quite liked the look of Aussie Rules. If I had the first idea of what the hell was going on, I reckon I could get quite into it. From what I can make out, you've got about 40 hairy-arsed blokes all in shorts 3 sizes too small, charging around a pitch the size of Wiltshire, thumping each other and booting a ball over rugby posts that also has a goal but with no goalie, and about 10 referees at various points on and around the field of play. Bonkers.

But it was the late great Shane Warne's favourite sport and first love, which he tried desperately to become a pro at, but he just wasn't good enough. Then one day, he picked up a cricket ball...

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
At the club level Rugby league is a lot more entertaining than Union. But At the international level it's boring. If you could have the club excitement of rugby league mixed with the union excitment of six nations then rugby would be great to watch. The NRL is very good though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have no idea. And I have no interest in finding out.

I've always quite liked the look of Aussie Rules. If I had the first idea of what the hell was going on, I reckon I could get quite into it. From what I can make out, you've got about 40 hairy-arsed blokes all in shorts 3 sizes too small, charging around a pitch the size of Wiltshire, thumping each other and booting a ball over rugby posts that also has a goal but with no goalie, and about 10 referees at various points on and around the field of play. Bonkers.

But it was the late great Shane Warne's favourite sport and first love, which he tried desperately to become a pro at, but he just wasn't good enough. Then one day, he picked up a cricket ball...

And a legend was born.

That said, the ‘footy’ is far less physical than it used to be.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
:rolleyes: there's only one team in Leeds - Leeds Rhinos.

There are three in Kirklees (Huddersfield), three in Wakefield and two in Hull though.

It's considerably more enjoyable than Union IMHO and Headingley Stadium is fantastic - and shows exactly how modern football stadiums could be with terraces:

View attachment 152307

View attachment 152308

But for some reason a 20,000 capacity stadium with terraces is ok for rugby league, but not football
. So much so that a lot of fans even talk as if this couldn't possibly happen.

Perhaps because rugby league never had the issues that football had in the past.

Also, they seem to have an average attendance of 12k which 60% of capacity. In the EPL, most games are at or very close to capacity so easier to keep people in allocated places.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But for some reason a 20,000 capacity stadium with terraces is ok for rugby league, but not football. So much so that a lot of fans even talk as if this couldn't possibly happen.

It's because Yorkshireman's lives are worth less than the rest of the country's.

Seriously though, I went to an international at Elland Road a few years ago - the game was crap, although I gather the previous two matches in the series were fantastically entertaining England wins - it was great fun walking past the big signs saying "No alcohol in view of the pitch" holding a pint in each hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here