Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Georgio Morodor

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone behind this gem deserves that little bit longer.

I saw them play live in the Coal Hole pub in Faversham nearly 30 years ago. I thought it was a shit tribute act but, no, it was them.

The original was superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dByLj4AoOo

He also produced this cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-ISatLDG0

Edit:

Very sad whenever anyone passes away of course, but l do get mildly irritated when somebody starts a thread announcing the death of some obscure person that very few people have ever actually heard of.

Could this be one of those cases? R.I.P. anyway, whoever you are, or were.

Sorry, mate. The man's a legend :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHDa6Akqvo

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very sad whenever anyone passes away of course, but l do get mildly irritated when somebody starts a thread announcing the death of some obscure person that very few people have ever actually heard of.

Oh come on Cowfold, do you live under a stone:whistle:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Well l'm sure the guy may be an absolute legend if that is the particular genre of music you are into, my point however, is that not everybody is. :wink:

I’m confident that most people who are into music know will know who Giorgio Moroder is. You might not like him, might not be into his stuff, or be into other genres of music, but you will know who he is. So no, this is not “one of those cases.”

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m confident that most people who are into music know will know who Giorgio Moroder is. You might not like him, might not be into his stuff, or be into other genres of music, but you will know who he is. So no, this is not “one of those cases.”

Unless you’re solely into rock or heavy metal and despise electronic music (I knew a few, always angry), GM is certainly not an obscure or niche figure in the history of pop and dance music. Years ahead of anyone else, his creative genius used synth and drum machines to create a stunning new sound tor soul and New Wave acts. The basis for much of the great music of the last 40 years, he’s named in countless autobio’s as THE inspiration.

Glad he’s still alive and kicking.:smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Quite. He's scarcely "obscure". We've had RIPs recently for Stirling Moss and Kobe Bryant. I have no interest in motor racing or basketball and wouldn't have recognised either of them if I'd just seen their pics with no information ... but I certainly recognised their names.

There are a couple of trends going around at the moment. One is to be uninformed of the world about us and the other is to flaunt that ignorance - you can almost guarantee that when the next series of Strictly or IACGMOOH starts, there'll be someone posting "Never heard of any of them"

When I was growing up people liked to know things, I'm not sure when all that changed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quite. He's scarcely "obscure". We've had RIPs recently for Stirling Moss and Kobe Bryant. I have no interest in motor racing or basketball and wouldn't have recognised either of them if I'd just seen their pics with no information ... but I certainly recognised their names.

There are a couple of trends going around at the moment. One is to be uninformed of the world about us and the other is to flaunt that ignorance - you can almost guarantee that when the next series of Strictly or IACGMOOH starts, there'll be someone posting "Never heard of any of them"

When I was growing up people liked to know things, I'm not sure when all that changed

While I agree with a lot of things you are saying, I believe that last sentence to be questionable (a bit depending on when you grew up).

The advent of the information society means that people are more likely to know the name of celebrities that are either obscure or mainly famous elsewhere than knowing the name of their neighbour. Society is more urbanized and streamlined now then ever. Sure, Ii certain classes and certains parts of society, sure people would know who Giorgio Marauder or Kobe Bryant were, but for i.e. rural communities or the "old" working class I doubt there was massive knowledge about Italian music pioneers or American basketball players.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

It's probably more the case that you were more familar with Georgio Moroder than you perhaps ever realised. He had a hand in both of these either as co-composer, producer or both.

Both of them are as mainstream as you could get, both in the genres of film as well as music, and hardly what you would call 'obscure'.

https://youtu.be/023u1P2cwAM

https://youtu.be/VjHJdf6m-oE

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
While I agree with a lot of things you are saying, I believe that last sentence to be questionable (a bit depending on when you grew up).

The advent of the information society means that people are more likely to know the name of celebrities that are either obscure or mainly famous elsewhere than knowing the name of their neighbour. Society is more urbanized and streamlined now then ever. Sure, Ii certain classes and certains parts of society, sure people would know who Giorgio Marauder or Kobe Bryant were, but for i.e. rural communities or the "old" working class I doubt there was massive knowledge about Italian music pioneers or American basketball players.

I actually find the converse to be the case in that the knowledge voluntarily acquired or sought is almost inversely proportional to the knowledge which is readily and freely available.

To seek and acquire knowledge before the advent of the internet one had to make a concerted effort, devoting not only time but also sometimes expense, buying/reading books, newspapers, going to the library, paying for and attending courses etc. But now that all that knowledge is immediately and freely readily available with just a few touches on a keyboard people don't seem to take advantage of it.

I often find myself giving someone a snippet of information via whatsapp, for example when someone has died, or using a term which they don't understand. They then respond by asking "who's that" or "what does that mean" instead of finding out for themselves via the internet.

I think there is a much greater void in general knowledge now than there was 40 years ago when that general knowledge was much more difficult to acquire. Or perhaps that "general knowledge" is just as widespread but it is more focused on vacuous "celebrity" / "influencer" / "reality" based knowledge of which I myself am guilty of being fairly ignorant.

With regard to peoples' seeming inability or lack of inclination to find out things for themselves, it's that lazy attitude which has engendered the acronym LMGTFY.

PS I know Giorgio Moroder. I even now know Georgio Morodor. But an internet search of Giorgio Marauder hasn't made me any wiser, but at least I tried.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Giorgio Moroder is a total legend who influenced the entire 80s synth pop movement, was a key player to the success of disco, and classic film soundtracks under his belt too. Such a legend that Daft Punk names a song after him on their last album.

Glad he’s not dead anyway!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here