Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Archie Battersbee

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Until 1961 suicide was a crime, the word ‘commit’ was used in this context which is why it’s an important we consider the language we use.

There is a slight difference. But significant. Someone can “commit to suicide” as in they will not stop attempting to end their life, they demonstrate ideation and each attempt is a serious, committed attempt to take their own life.

Yes, commit can mean different things but when coupled with the loss of a life, it will often be associated with a criminal act.

Additionally, the word “commit” implies that suicide is a choice. This is not always the case. Mental health issues and perceived pressures can often make someone feel like they have no choice. The last thing we want to do is make a survivor feel “well, you chose this”.

So it's more about a modern approach and inclusive terminology than pedantry. Fair enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A smiling mother and a Tory MP photo opp. This was sick (and I don't mean that in the slang context)

[tweet]1555677002392342530[/tweet]

I know what it's like to have a relative where the life support was turned off. My half brother died aged 21 from encephalitis.

Jesus. How low can they go?

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
A smiling mother and a Tory MP photo opp. This was sick (and I don't mean that in the slang context)

[tweet]1555677002392342530[/tweet]

I know what it's like to have a relative where the life support was turned off. My half brother died aged 21 from encephalitis.
First, sorry for your loss.
Second, RIP to this young man.
Last, while I get the reference’s to Chris Morris, for the life of me, this is like a still from Kentucky Fried Movie and Henry Gibson’s United Appeal for the Dead. Just search for the video for that sketch. The similarity is unreal.

How do these people live with their venality? Beyond parody.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow.

What a chilling read.

Poor boy.

I really do feel for this lad and how his last few months were played out. It really was grotesque especially the smiling photo ops and the merchandise. It’s beyond parody.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Whatever may have happened, he did not "commit suicide".

Suicide is not a crime, therefore to say "commit" is simply wrong. I know it sounds like semantic pedantry, but on a personal level it's a signficant differentiation to make.

Also, considering the primary support has come from their fundamentalist Christian backers, suicide would be “committing” a sin in the eyes of their understanding of their God.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/holli...l-archies-army-spread-the-purple-wave.124942/

Read this. All of it. You will see this sad story completely differently.

Also be aware that the primary function on that site is trolling people. So much so that they have driven some to suicide. But they don't care, they streamed the Christchurch massacre and even had a suicide counter on their site for other unfortunates who couldn't take it.

In short, it is a turd dump for society's sewer rats.

Just to apply a little context...

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Until 1961 suicide was a crime, the word ‘commit’ was used in this context which is why it’s an important we consider the language we use.

Indeed it was. Being in the police force at the time we knew it as 'the only crime you were punished for if you failed and vice versa.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Also be aware that the primary function on that site is trolling people. So much so that they have driven some to suicide. But they don't care, they streamed the Christchurch massacre and even had a suicide counter on their site for other unfortunates who couldn't take it.

Just had a quick look at that site and backed out just as quick.

There may be other issues that the mainstream media haven't touched on, but I am not interested in trashing the reputation of a dead 12 year old, whatever his issues or problems were.

Some things are just none of anybody else's business.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

True.

However, if you even did a word of it but solely looked at the masses of screenshots, chat logs and photos, one would still view this case very differently to how the media has portrayed it. There is a lot more behind this sad story than the MSM are willing to let on. There is actual proof. Loads of it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just had a quick look at that site and backed out just as quick.

There may be other issues that the mainstream media haven't touched on, but I am not interested in trashing the reputation of a dead 12 year old, whatever his issues or problems were.

Some things are just none of anybody else's business.

Sometimes the truth isn’t pretty. The media paint a pretty picture that is much easier to swallow, so I can totally understand why people would feel this way.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

They're scum, but they're simply sharing facts, the mother's own social media and such. Don't let the people finding the information emotionally cloud you from a VERY disturbing truth behind this tragedy, and that the impressive media campaign his mother and co have ran may not be telling the whole story.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They're scum, but they're simply sharing facts, the mother's own social media and such. Don't let the people finding the information emotionally cloud you from a VERY disturbing truth behind this tragedy, and that the impressive media campaign his mother and co have ran may not be telling the whole story.

I'm pretty sure the media will have done their homework but chosen not to say anything and rightly so. Something like this can capture the emotions of the public and attacking the child's mother would only make a difficult situation worse. Had it been 30 years ago, the tabloids wouldn't have cared one bit.

But, as I said in a previous entry, the boy became a focus for some kind of political football game. All very unsavoury. The only blessing being that he knew nothing of it. But still.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I assume that there will be an inquest in to his death and surely that will decide whether or not it was suicide.

Quite disturbing information in that link about the mother's behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here