Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Race across the World.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Finally caught up with the first two episodes and whilst I'm enjoying it I can't help but to agree with you. I'm not so bothered about the jobs bit as that has always been the case and would be near impossible for them to find a days casual work without it being setup. However the routes they are taking aren't the obvious ones. Two of the teams, the two well in lead in fact, have lost their map so clearly they are told which route they are to take. Whilst it looks like its going to be better series than the last one it has kinda been spoilt it for me because of the stage management that wasn't as obvious in previous serieses.

Both the mother and daughter couples are highly likeable. The black couple are exceptionally good. The daughter throwing herself in at the deep end from a language point of view has helped them massively. But money will probably start being an issue for them. The white couple whilst being likeable are so far behind the others they will surely be the first couple out.

The young lads are keen but you can't help but think they would still be in Sapporo if they hadn't been guided by the producers.

The brother and sister are an interesting combo. She seems quite ditzy and there for a free holiday but he seems more interested in the race aspect. Will be interesting to see if that changes as the race progresses.

The older couple, well him, is quite annoying. I can see them having a big fall out with each other and probably the other teams.
Enjoyable enough family watch for us..know what you’re getting by now. The husband of the couple though..kinnell..even his wife admitted to finding him annoying! Reminds me of:
IMG_0054.jpeg

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
The air that finished last seemed most likeable. The young boys are incredibly annoying and over competitive. Always hugely enjoyable although Mrs Crod and I preferred the celebrities.
Agree, those young lads are very annoying.

I might write to the BBC “points of view style” and ask if they can make one where they start in London and end up in Australia so I’ve always got episodes to watch. Such a great show and they do an amazing job with the filming.

My thoughts on the new series so far:

• Pleased they have ditched the overly long intro to each episode with recap of journey so far
• Also dropped the whole 'can you go from X to X overland for the cost of the airfare' from the intro*
• The total budget seemed quite low considering the journey is scheduled to take around 50 days and they have to pay for food, drinks, accommodation and travel for that time (apart from the stopovers at each checkpoint). Something around £1400-1500 including a week in Japan and a couple of days in South Korea.
• Assuming the restricted budget and starting in the most expensive country explains why they all burned a large chunk in week one.
• Wonder if the producers are restricting the budget to ensure they have to slow down and work along the way, as these are often the more heartwarming and interesting parts, compared to contestants trying to sleep on overnight buses and missing chunks of the countries they are passing through

*perhaps the comment earlier in the thread about a possible flight over China is why they've dropped that bit...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Due to the edited highlights bit they show at the beginning of every episode, it's clear who drops out this week as the last to finish this next leg is eliminated.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here