Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for openreach or such like

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Son is even less computer and IT literate than me and as he is going to be staying with us when he comes out of hospital for a time, like any parent I would like to offer advice if he asks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd be very surprised if his Talk Talk router didn't have it already built in. Does he really plug his PC directly into the router ?

Yes with ethernet yellow or red cable. I was with Talktalk and they installed fibre optic, which cost £50 Some 2 years ago. I recently went back to BT as it was somewhat cheaper and they did everything for me. I have suggested that to him but he is a bit of a stick in the mud type a bit what if it doesnt work type.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Normally a porting order is raised, the route will stay exactly the same as there is no need to change it. Might be a ruse to make more money

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Can you tell me please what work is actually involved when providers speak of ' installing a new line'

The reason i ask is i have a perfectly good working line with sky and when i looked into changing providers to talktalk they told me i need a new line installed.

I spoke to them and asked what was wrong with the one i have and can you explain what you would do to install a new line, she just gave me a load of waffle that made no sense.

So if i let them install this new line that they speak of do i expect to see someone up a telegraph pole running a new line to my property or do they just pull out one plug for another at the exchange or cabinet and make an excessive charge for it.

The wiring in your house and copper pair to the exchange will be the same no matter who supplies your telephony/broadband (supplied and maintained by Openreach . In the exchange it will go to the provider's equipment. The connection is made on "distribution frames" using jumper wires so they don't have to run individual cables through the exchange (it's already there and called Permanent Wiring).
To move from one provider to another needs an Openreach technician to swing the jumper over (or renew it if too short/damaged) from the TT block to the Sky block. As for the cost, Openreach have to provide "Equivalence of access" so they have to charge the same to everyone but I've not heard of other companies passing the charge on to customers (that's not to say they dont because everyone I know who has changed have moved FROM TalkTalk)
I've been a BT technician for 30+ years.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
The wiring in your house and copper pair to the exchange will be the same no matter who supplies your telephony/broadband (supplied and maintained by Openreach . In the exchange it will go to the provider's equipment. The connection is made on "distribution frames" using jumper wires so they don't have to run individual cables through the exchange (it's already there and called Permanent Wiring).
To move from one provider to another needs an Openreach technician to swing the jumper over (or renew it if too short/damaged) from the TT block to the Sky block. As for the cost, Openreach have to provide "Equivalence of access" so they have to charge the same to everyone but I've not heard of other companies passing the charge on to customers (that's not to say they dont because everyone I know who has changed have moved FROM TalkTalk)
I've been a BT technician for 30+ years.

Thank you, that makes sense

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I moved from Sky to Talk Talk just before Christmas - it was a cost saving exercise rather then anything poor from Sky.

I was expecting Sky to offer my something to stay as I was binning TV, Phone and Internet - I really wanted a new router as the one I had was 8 years old and was dropping the wireless everyday necessitating a restart. Anyway Sky refused to waive the £70 replacement router charge and wouldn't provide the adsl password so I could buy my own router, so I left.

I've had nothing but problems with Talk Talk since I changed over early December after 8 years of fault free time with Sky. The TV box is cack, the router is rubbish, no more range the my old router, the internet service for no reasons blips for a few minutes every so often (low speeds massive pings), often enough to piss off everyone in the house. The phone works OK for the one phone call a month I make.

In all I wish I hadn't bothered moving and persisted with a different person at Sky - what annoys me is since I left they've sent me numerous letters for free broadband and 50% off TV for 12 months - b'stards. Now I'm stuck for another 16 months with TalkTalk.

So to summarise, I'd rather be paying more for what I had that worked then having to deal with the shite I now have.

I daresay someone will come along and tell a similar story in reverse switching from Sky to TalkTalk - also BT suck from the one time I had them. Telewest (now virgin) and Sky have been the only positive internet providers I've had.

Oh and your original query - the only mention I had about a new line was when I cancelled with Sky and the retention retard suggested I would get a new line and number. This was garbage, all that happens on switch over day BTOR pull the plug from Sky and plug it into TalkTalk you retain the landline number. There was also no charge - in fact I got £125 from Quidco when I switched.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I moved from BT to TalkTalk about a year ago. Simple, no charge, free router it's better than when I had BT. ( And a lot cheaper.)

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
We registered with Freedom2surf back in 2002 who were brilliant. Unfortunately they were acquired by TalkTalk a couple of years ago and the service hit the floor, speeds dropped considerably, reliability was nonexistent. Their support is truly shocking, finally did something about it and switched to Openreach, so far so good.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We registered with Freedom2surf back in 2002 who were brilliant. Unfortunately they were acquired by TalkTalk a couple of years ago and the service hit the floor, speeds dropped considerably, reliability was nonexistent. Their support is truly shocking, finally did something about it and switched to Openreach, so far so good.

I think you mean BT as you can't switch to 'Openreach' ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I would say exactly the same except I went the other way Talktalk to BT

You must be paying more for Broadband though. I don't pay anything for calls, as I use my free TalkTalk mobile for calls etc. The whole lot, Broadband, landline, mobile and calls,data etc. £22 a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here