Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pubs and surge pricing.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The same beer in the same pub served by the same people at the same time would cost you a few pence more if the room had a bit of carpet on the floor.
Ah, but that is not all is it, NO WOMEN.....
Bonus.....
Sometimes when her in doors and my daughter are doing in my head, I would happily pop down the pub and pay £5 extra not to hear waffle and moaning or anything similar, I would rather sit in silence with a copy of the racing whippet or pigeon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like feck will they, my other half works is M&S if they have a good month in store the manager will round everyone up and do the praise the team talk no extra money in the bank though. Motivation is zero amongst the staff occasionally they will get a free sandwich for lunch. The best thing about her working there is the discount on top of store discount she often brings me home a £20 cut of steak or a rack of lamb for a couple of quid.
I'm pretty sure that the staff perks at M&S used to be pretty good ? obviously they have got a bit harder on the staff more recently.. a pal worked in a high street store where, had they had a good week or very good day for takings the boss used to give everyone a bottle of wine !...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ah, but that is not all is it, NO WOMEN.....
Bonus.....
Sometimes when her in doors and my daughter are doing in my head, I would happily pop down the pub and pay £5 extra not to hear waffle and moaning or anything similar, I would rather sit in silence with a copy of the racing whippet or pigeon.
Nice try but we all know its 2023 not 1923.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I'm pretty sure that the staff perks at M&S used to be pretty good ? obviously they have got a bit harder on the staff more recently.. a pal worked in a high street store where, had they had a good week or very good day for takings the boss used to give everyone a bottle of wine !...
I worked at M&S for 35 years, only recently retired, we had hairdresser, chiropodist staff shop, Christmas bonus of 4 weeks wages etc. They’ve always worked on minimum staff (I was HR) and wanted ‘their pound of flesh‘, but had a non contributory pension and life time discount if you left taking a retIrement pension.
I was lucky having the long service, but it’s greatly changed now and not for the better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tom Kerridge was interviewed about it on Today this morning and explained the '20p extra' is actually the real price when costs are taken into account - i.e. more staff needed at busier times

That makes no sense. Extra staff at busier times is extra staff because you're selling more, and making more profit. If you have one member of staff serving 15 people in a pub, then 2 people to serve 30 people, your revenue doubles for the 30 people, staffing costs and costs of produce double, but the many other costs associated with running a pub, stay the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here