Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Property on Spanish Golf Resort

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There’s a double-tax treaty with Spain so I presume he will pay tax in Spain and then also declare it in the UK and use the Spain tax as a credit to his tax bill in the UK? Is that how it works with Spain?
Subject to the particular, for every country, HMRC rules. It’s not as straight forward as simply deducting the foreign tax paid (converted to GBP).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Our friend who has a property in the Dordogne fell foul of this brexit benefit!

she went to see the local Mayor and has taken various bits of legal advice and the local authorities will grant longer “ residency” visits if she is seen to be an active member of the village she lives in. That includes her having taken French lessons, getting involved in local community work and being “ active in the community”. She is not 100% resident , but very nearly! The French do seem to be a bit more relaxed about brexit.

certainly we will be looking in the future to buy a property in France.
Long stay visas are available in most contries if you satisfy/demonstrate certain criteria, I do not think it is necessary a 'relaxed French' thing,

SteveU

May 31, 2022
We are completing on a property near Villamartin in 2 weeks.

An abundance of quality golf on your door step. Can’t wait to live out there full time in around 7 years.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Once you have been there 90 days you then have to wait 90 days before you can start again.

The French stamp your passport on arrival and departure so have a record of your days in France. We went to Lanzarote in December and our passports weren’t stamped on arrival or departure though
Not stamped but still recorded in the system though. The stamp is pretty much irrelevant these days.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Once you have been there 90 days you then have to wait 90 days before you can start again.
Apologies if I've misunderstood you, but I don't think that's correct. The 90 day are rolling, so once an earlier visit drops off you can go again without waiting 90 days

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apologies if I've misunderstood you, but I don't think that's correct. The 90 day are rolling, so once an earlier visit drops off you can go again without waiting 90 days
In that case you could come out for one day and then go back for another 90, except you can’t

Under the terms of Schengen, non-EEA nationals cannot spend more than a total of 90 days within a total period of 180 days without a visa. Furthermore, once you’ve used up your quota of 90 days, you cannot return to Schengen until 90 more days have passed.

For example, if you enter Spain on January 1st and spend 90 days in the country until June 30th, you cannot return to Spain until at least the end of September.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But they are not easily renewable and you will run into tax residence rules if you stay longer than 183 days in a year.
Very good point about the tax side of things.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In that case you could come out for one day and then go back for another 90, except you can’t

Under the terms of Schengen, non-EEA nationals cannot spend more than a total of 90 days within a total period of 180 days without a visa. Furthermore, once you’ve used up your quota of 90 days, you cannot return to Schengen until 90 more days have passed.

For example, if you enter Spain on January 1st and spend 90 days in the country until June 30th, you cannot return to Spain until at least the end of September.
You cannot go to any Schengen country within the 90 days once spent, so rules out a weekend in Bruges or Vienna, for example.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Can I suggest getting Laura Hamilton to find you a place...as long as I can tag along & help search :thumbsup: :love:

0_A-Place-In-The-Suns-Laura-Hamilton-in-leggy-display-whilst-house-hunters-look-around-villa.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thanks for all the advice. Going to go out and Air B'n'B a few places and see what gives. Just spoke to a mate who had a property out there and he's sold up and just rents per week now, will look at that also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here