Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Pre-Payment gas and electric meters

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I am moving into a house which has pre payment meters.

has anyone changed these and moved over to standard direct debit accounts?

Any help would be appreciated as at the moment I have no Gas and Electric.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you know which company is supplying the energy? If you do, then the first thing to do is contact them, tell them of your previous history of good payment at a previous address, and ask to get them changed. They may refuse at first, but keep pushing, even going to CAB if necessary.

Edit to add in the meantime get a customer number to be able to buy keys, as changing meters will probably take a couple of weeks.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Our son and his girlfriend are currently on the wrong end of something similar in Somerset, where the previous tenants left leaving thousands owing to the energy company and lots of other people besides. ATM they're stuck with pre-payment meters but once they've proved they're not a liability they should be able to move away from those meters. Takes a while but is do-able.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
As Saladpack said, given time can change it. Happended to a friend & she was told need to have at least 6 months in credit before they will install a standard tariff meter. Expect them to insist on a smart meter.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do you know which company is supplying the energy? If you do, then the first thing to do is contact them, tell them of your previous history of good payment at a previous address, and ask to get them changed. They may refuse at first, but keep pushing, even going to CAB if necessary.

Edit to add in the meantime get a customer number to be able to buy keys, as changing meters will probably take a couple of weeks.

Its EON, They have refused as they are unable to carry out the credit checks needed apparently to switch it across which is disgusting.

Ive requested a new set of keys and card which would remove and debit if any left from the previous account, I would then need to switch to a new supplier and then request them to come and change me to a different meter so I can go to a standard charge.

Its absolutely disgusting, there is a charge each day for the Electricity and the Gas which is just shy of £1 a day before you have even used anything, considering these are usually put in place for those who struggle to pay bills the prices are absolutely disgusting, its going to cost me a fortune. It really wasnt something I thought would be a problem when I brought the place. Lesson learnt I guess. Absolutely destroyed any excitement about moving in.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You shouldn’t have to wait for a key you can get them in any top up store. Not very nice of the previous people not to at least leave the keys in the meters.
Even if you Dont tell them you have a child in the house and they have to come within a few hrs to get you back on.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Get someone from the local travellers site to bypass the meter for you*

*dont do this

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its EON, They have refused as they are unable to carry out the credit checks needed apparently to switch it across which is disgusting.

Ive requested a new set of keys and card which would remove and debit if any left from the previous account, I would then need to switch to a new supplier and then request them to come and change me to a different meter so I can go to a standard charge.

Its absolutely disgusting, there is a charge each day for the Electricity and the Gas which is just shy of £1 a day before you have even used anything, considering these are usually put in place for those who struggle to pay bills the prices are absolutely disgusting, its going to cost me a fortune. It really wasnt something I thought would be a problem when I brought the place. Lesson learnt I guess. Absolutely destroyed any excitement about moving in.
Go to the CAB as I'm fairly certain they can't refuse to do credit checks,

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Go to the CAB as I'm fairly certain they can't refuse to do credit checks,
I will be. I couldn't believe it when I asked, ultimately they have changed their back office systems and since then apparently this has not worked, the girl I spoke to said they haven't been able to do it since she's worked there and that's been two months.

The stories above concern me, as moving across to a new provider I struggle to see why a previous owner will leave me having to use pre-paid meters. As a consumer I should be able to select which provider I wish and with a clean background I should be provided with the service I request.
I expect that the fact they make an absolute fortune from them they are reluctant to switch people over.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is your right to choose a provider and oay with whatever method you wish.

Remind them of this and tell them you can arrange a realistic time to come and take out the prepayment meters or your solicitor can arrange it with them.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
How annoying. I was in that situation once many years ago and it seemed quite simple to get a proper meter. The intervening period was incredibly annoying though as the previous tenants had some sort of debt repayment programme so if you topped up £20 £5 vanished instantly.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I am moving into a house which has pre payment meters.

has anyone changed these and moved over to standard direct debit accounts?

Any help would be appreciated as at the moment I have no Gas and Electric.
How many times have you phoned them? If the person you spoke to has only been there 2 months she may not know that much and has still got the manual in front of her. I'd ring again to check I get the same answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tell them that you will be switching suppliers to one that is more helpful and understanding.
Eon don’t care. I was with them for 14 years, and knew I had a credit balance in spring, so asked for it back. They refused saying I didn’t know how direct debits worked (paraphrased from the really condescending way she spoke to me).
I said, after working in the business for 25 years, I knew all I needed to know, and was changing suppliers immediately. They didn’t care, but I got my credit back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How many times have you phoned them? If the person you spoke to has only been there 2 months she may not know that much and has still got the manual in front of her. I'd ring again to check I get the same answer.

I spoke to 3 people there. She was the only one who gave any insight. The others just said Eon point blank refuse to change currently.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I’ve applied now to switch gas and electricity suppliers which hopefully will happen on the 22nd. Then at that point I will have to ask them to switch over. Absolute faff but there is some hope it can be achieved in a month or two. I mean I’ve just got a mortgage on the place I really struggle to see why I should have any issue having a normal meter previous owner/tennet has nothing to do with me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Put various things in your surroundings on fire. Media will be alerted and when they write about it in the news you just explain that everything is EONs fault and they might help you/compensate you to avoid further bad publicity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here