Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Potter will want to finish his project at Brighton first"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn’t Brian Horton leave us to go to Port Vale? ???

True - but that was probably more moving back 'home' rather than footballing progression. Goodwin was our manager in the 3rd. division, when the mighty Birmingham, a division higher, came calling.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Arguably he has completed the Brighton project. He has taken himself, players and the club to the point the only clubs we sell too are in the champions league and we are sitting in the group below them in the table.
I'm sad but pleased for him. What a success story his career has been so far...

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I can cope with leaving at the end of the season... fair enough. I cannot forgive leaving us in the shite now. It is like bringing all of us to a wedding and then doing a 'Nicole' , jilting us at the altar and running off with Bob ( one for the oldies there).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Amused me anyway.

Capture.JPG

Arguably he has completed the Brighton project. He has taken himself, players and the club to the point the only clubs we sell too are in the champions league and we are sitting in the group below them in the table.
I'm sad but pleased for him. What a success story his career has been so far...

Yes I agree, he's 4th in the league and can only afford a 5-place slip before he's at stand still. Welbz gets injured and we still don't know the effectiveness of the back-up. Selfishly for him this might be a good time

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
In reality he finished 9th in the knowledge he was going to lose his main midfielder, would probably lose his Player Of The Season left-back, needed to replace Dan Burn and would possibly also lose his top goalscorer of his 3 previous seasons at the club. Therefore, that's a major amount of work just to stand still. To improve on 9th means holding off all the other clubs below - including moneybags Newcastle - and leapfrogging Leicester.

To reach 7th spot and Europe we'd have to finish above West Ham, a club that have added Lucas Paqueta, Scammacca, Cornet, Emerson, Aguerd and Kehrer to their ranks. To do that we'd need all replacement signings to succeed, for Welbeck to stay injury-free and for 3 of our midfielders to have double-digit goalscoring output - something that none of them have ever done before.

The balance of probability on all of that happening is unlikely, yet if a manager was able to make that happen why would they stay around when having the ability to do that would mean winning trophies at bigger clubs?

There is a reason why - after just 6 matches - the Prem Top 7 is the usual Big 6 with us as the only outsider.

Never said it'd be easy :p. However: if we hadn't had that dry spell last season, we could have been in Europe this season. We aren't that far off. And, if you look at our run since Caicedo came into the team that run is Europe-qualifying level. In that time, we've played 13, won 9, drawn 3, and lost just the 1. Final 7 matches of 21/22 season form table, we were 2nd. We're 4th across the first 6 this season. In that time we've played and beaten traditional top 6 sides. If Potter can be tempted to stay and see out this season, I think that goal of European qualification is very much achievable. We should absolutely consider ourselves in the mix as things stand today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Never said it'd be easy :p. However: if we hadn't had that dry spell last season, we could have been in Europe this season. We aren't that far off. And, if you look at our run since Caicedo came into the team that run is Europe-qualifying level. In that time, we've played 13, won 9, drawn 3, and lost just the 1. Final 7 matches of 21/22 season form table, we were 2nd. We're 4th across the first 6 this season. In that time we've played and beaten traditional top 6 sides. If Potter can be tempted to stay and see out this season, I think that goal of European qualification is very much achievable. We should absolutely consider ourselves in the mix as things stand today.

The reality is we achieved those results because we had a top 6 level manager who lifted the performance of the whole side, elevating the likes of Cucu, Dunk, Veltman, Sanchez, Caicedo, Biss, Trossard and Gross to Top 6 standard. Now that manager is off, as are 2 of those players. It is improbable we can find another top 6 standard manager by the end of this month, especially given our budgetary constraints.

I suggested Thomas Frank as a possibility and the reaction to that was that it was a sideways move for the bloke so he wouldn't be interested. The chances of this guy Knutsen being another Potter are small, yet that may be the road we go down.

At least now we have the possibility of 7th and European football. Newcastle will have that spot locked down in the next 2 years and then the thing really will be a closed shop.

Kojakker

Jun 10, 2022
Potter finished his personal project of removing all dickheads from the squad. With Andone paid off, and Maupay moved on, he looked around and realised there were no more problem players to deal with. His Emotional Intelligence degree would go to waste.

So Chelsea, with their renowned supply of dickheads at all levels immediately appealed to him.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Potter finished his personal project of removing all dickheads from the squad. With Andone paid off, and Maupay moved on, he looked around and realised there were no more problem players to deal with. His Emotional Intelligence degree would go to waste.

So Chelsea, with their renowned supply of dickheads at all levels immediately appealed to him.

You don’t need an emotional intelligence degree to realise that Andone and Maupay were dickheads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Maybe he could work the Chelsea lounges at half time

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You don’t need an emotional intelligence degree to realise that Andone and Maupay were dickheads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. The one big plus in Potter leaving is we don’t have to listen anymore to that nonsense about his ‘emotional intelligence degree.’ I didn’t even know such a course existed until he arrived. Anybody would think Potter invented therapy given the extent some fans and the media go on about it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Very true. The one big plus in Potter leaving is we don’t have to listen anymore to that nonsense about his ‘emotional intelligence degree.’ I didn’t even know such a course existed until he arrived. Anybody would think Potter invented therapy given the extent some fans and the media go on about it.

Sounds like a made up degree. Probably bought it on eBay.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

In the 'good old days', we didn't look up to people talking about 'Emotional Intelligence' with a God like reverence. We called them what they were.........Con-men. The ability to make you think they are OK, but behind the smirk is a devious mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here