Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter Polarising …

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's so depressing. It feels like we've lost so much willingness to include subtlety, context and nuance in debates nowadays.

It's dumb in the genuine sense of the word and I hate it.

Everything is black and white, and there’s no room for shades of grey except in the title of some tawdry sex book.
If you’re not for us, you’re against us is an attitude that really annoys me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The current regime seem obsessed with the club being a project which is an easy get out clause when we fail on the pitch.

Think Bill Archer is still around if you want a "regime" who doesnt consider the club a project.

Stoke chiefs also wanted to try and play expansive football it didn’t work and I fear we are heading the same way.

Multiple subsequently relegated clubs tried to play shite football and it didn't work either. Playing some kind of eleven man defense counter-attack football is no guarantee for success, rather the reverse, its a guarantee you'll go down sooner or later.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would take Chrissy Hughton’s 8 or 9 home wins a season and the odd away win over this shite all day long. I guessing you all enjoyed the double over Palace wins over Arsenal, Man Utd and more often than not we beat teams around us at home. I’m genuinely surprised Potter is getting a free pass when our most successful manager for decades got slated for a bad half a season. Lost a bit of respect for TB when he sacked CH and then dug himself a bigger hole handing out a six year deal to Potter.

6 or 7 wins in the EPL.
Don't spoil your argument with false stats.

Chris Hughton's record 17/18

Played 38 W9 D13 L16 Points 40
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

Chris Hughton's record 18/19

Played 38 W9 D9 L20 Points 36
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

Don't accuse people of false stats!

Justice wrote 8-9 home wins, other bloke said 6-7, you say 9 wins in total.. different things.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Now Brexit is done, what else is there to split the country over? ???

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Firmly Potter out now, having been fence since the restart.

We just don't look like winners. We look like Wenger's Arsenal when they were playing poorly. Sideways, back, patience... lose it, get done with one long ball and repeat. And that's when we have the luxury of being allowed to run midfield.

What I like;

- the ambitious nature of what he's trying to do with our play style
- playing our younger players
- ability to set a team up tactically in the first half of matches
- he's English
- those piercing blue eyes

What I don't like;

- constant rotation, playing people out of position
- bizarre substitutions, the Pröpper one against Fulham was mental
- insistence publicly he is happy with his attackers. We all know that's bollocks, but then he can't publicly come out and say he wants a striker or it lands his boss in it
- lack of passion on the sidelines, in interviews, and his general life. He'd apologise to you if you smashed his wife through the backdoor
- slightly gormless expression can make him look a bit thick

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Did you somehow miss the last few weeks of the 2018-19 season?

The first match I saw in person that campaign was the bore draw at Wolves, when their fans were chanting "How do you watch this every week"!

I went to that game and felt I had to apologise to a Wolves fan for the way we played. At least I dont have to do that now

boik

We just don't look like winners. We look like Wenger's Arsenal when they were playing poorly. Sideways, back, patience... lose it, get done with one long ball and repeat. And that's when we have the luxury of being allowed to run midfield.

What I like;

- he's English

What I don't like;

- insistence publicly he is happy with his attackers. We all know that's bollocks, but then he can't publicly come out and say he wants a striker or it lands his boss in it
- lack of passion on the sidelines, in interviews, and his general life. He'd apologise to you if you smashed his wife through the backdoor

Blimey. You judge a football manager by what he looks like? I guess that accounts for the rise of Tinder and Naked Attraction.

Kevin Keegan got the England job because of his passion. Pep is quiet and considered.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I think the problem is it is just so frustrating to watch a team fail to score goals so consistently. Up to the final third we play so well, then more often than not we over complicate or lack decision.
I think we need a new attacking coach to work with GP

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

What I like;

- he's English

What I don't like;

Tough crowd! No assumptions at all here!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I like what Potter is trying to do and I think he makes mistakes sometimes. Whatever he does on the weekend will be better than when we tried to park the bus versus Spurs a couple of years back. I never want to see another game like that.

I also can't be bothered replying to dull, repetitive polls or arguing with people who are a little too angry about a simple form of entertainment. It is as fruitless as trying to talk sense to a drunk teenager. Still it is better they get their angst out via a keyboard than kicking the dog around the garden.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I disagree he's that polarising .... amongst fans outside of NSC. It's mostly on here, stoked imo by Swansman and his obsession. The amount of threads on Potter this, Potter that is frankly tiresome and a lot of hot air about mostly nothing or the same thing again and again.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't often comment on performances these days because I'm no longer sure of my own opinion about Brighton. So it's not really worth sharing.

Same goes for GP. Sometimes I feel he's a brilliant appointment, at least by BHA standards. Other times I'm wondering if it's all a bit of an illusion.

I come away from televised games often confused by what I've just watched, not sure if it was very good, very bad, or something in between.

It all just feels a bit weird right now. Maybe that's the effect of Potterball. Or maybe it's just a symptom of living in strange times more generally. I have no idea. I'm zipping it now.

I love watching the quality of our passing and pleased to hear so many positive comments from commentators and reading the same in the press. I recall watching us away to Spurs under C H and the commentators were scathing about how negative we were.
I would just love to see us win more often.

Having said that, I have posted some negative comments on here about GP but still think he should stay but maybe bring a different coach in to change things a little.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I love watching the quality of our passing and pleased to hear so many positive comments from commentators and reading the same in the press. I recall watching us away to Spurs under C H and the commentators were scathing about how negative we were.
I would just love to see us win more often.

Having said that, I have posted some negative comments on here about GP but still think he should stay but maybe bring a different coach in to change things a little.

But we did win more often under CH. That's a fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here