[Albion] POTS?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sorry misread your response.
I would have made the same assumption, regarding player's player of the year.

Any idea who won it in the other two seasons?

Not got a clue, I'm afraid. I would have picked up the Dunk winning players player four times from commentary or an article/interview somewhere. Wiki only has him winning twice but I can't find a list of players player winners anywhere.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Cucurella.

Made his debut about a week after signing.
Only Sanchez has played more minutes this season.
Duracell Bunny.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Veltman would be nice.
Got to love an unsung hero.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm torn between Veltman and Cucurella, both superb. Cucu probably pips it.

Trossard has really shone lately, Bissouma blown hot and cold.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Whilst I agree with the majority that Cucurella (with Veltman not far behind) will be getting my vote, I do think our fans tend to gravitate towards our defensive players due to the consistency/reliability aspect, when it's nigh on impossible for our attacking players to match up in this regard - it's just the nature of the role they play that only the world class players at this level can produce goals and assists on anything approaching a consistent basis.

This is a great point. If you go through the PotSs, pretty sure the vast majority have been defenders or, at best, DCMs. Pascal might be the exception in his first season in the PL, when IIRC he scored seven and assisted eight. I did post earlier in this thread that Cucurella gets it for me but, as to the next two, it's a fight between the rarely mentioned five goal Mac Allister, seven goal Trossard who has had one or two more mentions, and Veltman -- probably in that order.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree with Alvin Stardust. It has to be coo ca choo

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's all about opinions of course, but how anyone doesn't include Veltman in their top three is beyond me.

For me it's

Cucurella
Veltman

as the top two by a mile, with third place between Biss, Trossard and Dunk, all who have been good at times this season, but all of whom have either been injured for longish spells, of have suffered from a loss of form.

On the Premier League site you can do a player v player stats comparison. Cucerella and Veltman are identical for goals, assists, clean sheets and yellow cards. Cucerella has more touches, passes, crosses and tackles better. Veltman has better heading, blocking and clearing. All quite indicative of their different roles on the team but, yes, Veltman has been nearly as good.

However, I’m going to have to agree with Swansman again!! When we’ve picked up a lot of vital points this season it’s been due to Trossard and Biss being two of the best players on the whole pitch, not just our team. I don’t think we get record points without either of them. We probably still would have without Veltman. Harsh on him but that’s my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Now the seasons done I've got to say I think cucurellas earnt player of season, haven't seen a single game where he hasn't put in 100% and his goal against United put the icing on the cake for me. Must give credit to veltman though as well

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the Premier League site you can do a player v player stats comparison. Cucerella and Veltman are identical for goals, assists, clean sheets and yellow cards. Cucerella has more touches, passes, crosses and tackles better. Veltman has better heading, blocking and clearing. All quite indicative of their different roles on the team but, yes, Veltman has been nearly as good.

However, I’m going to have to agree with Swansman again!! When we’ve picked up a lot of vital points this season it’s been due to Trossard and Biss being two of the best players on the whole pitch, not just our team. I don’t think we get record points without either of them. We probably still would have without Veltman. Harsh on him but that’s my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree about Trossard and Bissouma, but perhap yesterday showed that we can still create, score and win without either, as we did very well in the 2nd half.

The future is very bright

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree about Trossard and Bissouma, but perhap yesterday showed that we can still create, score and win without either, as we did very well in the 2nd half.

The future is very bright

Yup. Things change game by game but that post hasn't aged too well. Yesterday we saw Veltman in a (joint with Gross) game winning master class while Biss was awful for 45 mins. I think Caicedo has a real shot at POTS next season too.

Like you say, very bright future, with the caveat that we don't sell or lose a lot of players in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports