Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Postponements in men's and women's matches

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Don't understand why they are playing in the winter at all. Nothing to lose from changing to spring-autumn football seasons. The only reason most leagues are playing in the winter is because of English school teams doing it like that 150 years ago. There is no good reason why they today couldn't play from March to October or something. Would probably solve some injury issues, decrease pitch costs and increase attendences.
The WSL did use to play in the summer months but the attendences were shocking. So they stopped and reverted to winter. Why are you advocating reverting to something that was tried, tested (for 5 seasons) and failed?

Your knowledge of the mens game astonishes me sometimes but it seems you have a long way to go to understand the history of the women's game.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
true, though this isnt the complaint by Emma Hayes. she's saying games should never be cancelled due to pitch conditions, and i wonder if that sort of pressure is why officials allowed the game to start.
The issue on Sunday was that (large parts of) the pitch were frozen when the 9.30 inspection took place. The match officials decided that it would "probably" be ok by the scheduled KO time. There was a suggestion that the KO time be moved forward to 2PM (as it happened it would probably have made no difference) but I never heard any explanation of why that idea was dismissed.

The players warming up were complaining about the frozen areas of the pitch but nonetheless, the referee decided that the pitch was safe for the players and the game kicked off. It was immediately apparent that the pitch was extremely dangerous and the ref, who should never have started the game, abandoned it. Had the game been called off (as it should have been) at 9.30, the Liverpool fans could have turned around and headed home.

I can't blame anybody but the match referee for the shambles. I was taught that the players' safety is paramount and if in doubt, you don't play. There was no doubt on Sunday; the pitch was unfit and the game should never have kicked off.

With the exception of Reading, all WSL1 sides have mens teams in the EPL. All EPL pitches have undersoil heating. Play the WSL1 games on the EPL pitches then you don't have a problem.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The WSL did use to play in the summer months but the attendences were shocking. So they stopped and reverted to winter. Why are you advocating reverting to something that was tried, tested (for 5 seasons) and failed?

Your knowledge of the mens game astonishes me sometimes but it seems you have a long way to go to understand the history of the women's game.
Finally someone who can tell me what the average attendances looked like in the WPL.

If you think playing in the summer months was the cause of low attendances, would you please bring me the numbers for how many was attending the 2009-10 Women's Premier League compared to the 2011 Women's Super League? I suppose there was a massive downfall in attendance?

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
The tone of your comments suggests, and I may be wrong, that you are indifferent to the woman's game.
I admire anyone who makes the effort to play any sport to any level regardless of their gender. If I am 'indifferent' why is that 'odd?' Given the difference between the average gate for Albion women and Albion men I would suggest many Albion men's team fans are also somewhat 'indifferent' to the women's game and therefore 'odd.' Just because I'm not in the queue at Broadfield 2 hours before k/o every other Sunday and I don't worship at the alter of Cath Kelly to me doesn't make me at all odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here