Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing help pleeeeeeeease!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I bow to OP's knowledge of plumbing repairs. If the same happened to me during lockdown I'd be essentially f***ed. Can't imagine I'd be the only one. Begs the question: do emergency plumbers, emergency locksmiths etc still operate during lockdown, anyone know?

I met a plumber recently who said he was giving Skype diagnoses and if feasible, talking people through fixing things themselves in real time. Wasn't charging anything, which I suspect is a smart move, as he's probably found new future customers. I thought this was ingenious, not being of an age myself where technology is at the forefront of my mind as a solution to problems; not sure I'd be as keen on the idea if he was an electrician, mind you...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I met a plumber recently who said he was giving Skype diagnoses and if feasible, talking people through fixing things themselves in real time. Wasn't charging anything, which I suspect is a smart move, as he's probably found new future customers. I thought this was ingenious, not being of an age myself where technology is at the forefront of my mind as a solution to problems; not sure I'd be as keen on the idea if he was an electrician, mind you...

Don't give people ideas :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I met a plumber recently who said he was giving Skype diagnoses and if feasible, talking people through fixing things themselves in real time. Wasn't charging anything, which I suspect is a smart move, as he's probably found new future customers.

I tried that service. It was okay up until the point he told me to sit in my car for 2 hours and read the paper?

:shrug:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't give people ideas :)

Hi Boris - Donald here. Just having a few glasses of Domestos .

Problems with changing a light bulb ?

Have you tried putting a screw driver in the centre of the light socket ?

That normally works for me.

Only problem being. Afterwards skin tends to change colour and my hair is a bit wirey.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not an emergency plumber but I have been doing essential repairs, toilets not flushing and small leaks etc.
I haven't been out working as normal and haven't had as much as a phone call on some days.

The people I have worked for have kept out of the way when I've been to their homes, and I have asked in advance if they are well.
I've only had broken/blocked toilets!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Yep, gotta plan for when we're out the other side - personally done a broken basin waste, dripping gland nut on mains stop cock and low pressure on boiler via phone for free/google review.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Yep, what with homes/boilers/shower etc are being used more than ever i'm back up to 5 days a week doing boiler breakdowns, leaks and emergency's, but have parked off fitting new boilers for past 6 weeks.

All boiler manufacturers have group service covering any warranty breakdowns too.
And the HSE are insisting we still do CP12s.:lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You need a short piece of hose, fit a small piece of copper or plastic pipe ( 15MM ) into the hose, then connect this to the isolation valve with a nut and olive from any 15mm compression fitting.
Put the other end of the hose into a bucket and fully open the valve, if you haven't got any of the above use a spare flexible connector if you have this.

If no water comes out I would say the hot isolation valve is jammed closed, or something is suck inside the valve like a some solder.

If you don't have easy access to a hose/olive / compression nut you can use a shower hose as the threads are the same as the isolation valve and you don't need tools or an olive to fit it.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Any luck yet, or are you still looking for a short piece of hose?

No, I tried it but nothing came out. I fitted a new isolation valve and tried to remove any air locks with advice from YouTube but nothing has worked. It's not in the family bathroom and the cold still works so it's not an emergency. My Father-in-law will be able to sort it eventually I'm sure. Thanks.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If you don't have easy access to a hose/olive / compression nut you can use a shower hose as the threads are the same as the isolation valve and you don't need tools or an olive to fit it.

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here