Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Please recommend a box set that is as good as, if not better than 'Curb your enthusiasm'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite not being of the genre required, it would be remiss of me not to recommend Detectorists.

The very best British comedy of the 21st century.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
'Community' never fails to make me laugh.

Ditto 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'

We're bingeing on Community. Wasn't sure at first, but we got hooked in by the characters, which are pretty well drawn. Some of the storylines are preposterous but often no less funny for it. It's an easy sort of comedy, along the same sort of lines as Superstore – not particularly challenging but neither is it reliant on cliches or easy laughs.

Kids swear by Always Sunny, and insist we'd like it too, but I hate proving them right about things.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Having been ill for a week, and with no access to the living room TV, my viewing has been all on iPlayer. So been binge watching This Country, and 'discovered' (20 years late) the Sean Lock comedy, 15 Storeys High, which I really like. It's not roll on the floor funny, but it's subtle and clever. Defo worth a watch.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We're bingeing on Community. Wasn't sure at first, but we got hooked in by the characters, which are pretty well drawn. Some of the storylines are preposterous but often no less funny for it. It's an easy sort of comedy, along the same sort of lines as Superstore – not particularly challenging but neither is it reliant on cliches or easy laughs.

Kids swear by Always Sunny, and insist we'd like it too, but I hate proving them right about things.

'Sunny' really is brilliant.

It's savage and funny but every now and then, every few seasons or so, they drop in a real character growth moment that's so well executed you forget you're watching a comedy about awful people.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Thanks for your recommendations. I forgot that I already have a sealed copy of 'Detectorists' in the loft. I have just bought 'Green wing', 'Always sunny in Philadelphia' volumes 1&2, 'Veep', 'Parks and recreation', and 'arrested development'. That should be enough to be getting on with ! 'Breeders' looks good, but I don't have 'Sky', or access to it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for your recommendations. I forgot that I already have a sealed copy of 'Detectorists' in the loft. I have just bought 'Green wing', 'Always sunny in Philadelphia' volumes 1&2, 'Veep', 'Parks and recreation', and 'arrested development'. That should be enough to be getting on with ! 'Breeders' looks good, but I don't have 'Sky', or access to it.

You're gonna regret such folly regarding Detectorists.

NOT FOR NOW

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?309795-Detectorists-BBC4-Thursday-at-10pm

But this is right here waiting for you, when you're done.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I am up to season 10 of Shameless (the US version). It is very funny much of the time, with some pathos thrown in, together with nudity and foul language.. It works for me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Stick with 'It's Always Sunny' The first couple of seasons have their moments, but don't reach the heights. Danny DeVito's character doesn't arrive until the second series and still takes a while to find his groove. Once he's established things get more insane, but also more meta and cerebral, as well as a lot funnier. For me, seasons 4-10 have some of the best US sitcom episodes ever made. I'm currently re-watching all of it having been hooked back in by the recent release of S15.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Very underrated show. I enjoyed both series of this.

I’d also recommend Parks N Rec. First series is not great but series two hits its stride and keeps going. But last series was a big meh.

The American version of The Office is great. Better once it gets past the English scripts that they use and does it’s own thing. About 5 episodes in I think.

But unfortunately, nothing comes close to Curb for consistent excellence. Especially over such a long run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here