Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players ratings Brighton - Aston Villa

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sanchez 6 - did not have an awful lot to do. Some good long balls. Unlucky with the deflection on the second goal but I think some days he is able to react to that.

Pervis 6 - not awful but didn't contribute much and had very little chemistry with Tross today
Dunk 4 - struggled with several over-the-head balls and caused the penalty
Colwill 7 - looked pretty solid, good passing and won most aerial duels
Gross 6 - close to a 5, struggled to keep up on the right-wing

Caicedo 8 - won lots of duels and rarely made a poor pass
Mac Allister 8 - see above, plus a goal but minus a mistake resulting in a goal

Trossard 4 - wonder if he even needed a shower after the game. Already in Qatar.
Enciso 4 - ran around, barely touched the ball and when he did he usually lost it
March 6 - poor first half, got better and better in the second

Welbeck 5 - no service, but also didn't manage to find any good spaces

Subs (Enciso is included above)
Veltman 6 - solid but not really all that useful when chasing a goal
Lamptey 6 - did ok but would have needed another 10 minutes or so to really get going, I think
Undav 5 - see Welbeck

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Mad scores for Caic and Mac those imo. lots of miss-placed passes and 'too slow to react' moments from both and Mac literally gifted them the winner albeit after a litany of other mistakes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mad scores for Caic and Mac those imo. lots of miss-placed passes and 'too slow to react' moments from both and Mac literally gifted them the winner albeit after a litany of other mistakes.
I thought both of them did very well and kept the game fairly close despite no-one else in Brighton really doing anything useful.

Ali Mac managed to get 66 out of 68 (97%) of his passes to the right adress, which I imagine could be the best success rate ever for a Brighton midfielder in the PL.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Sanchez 6 - did not have an awful lot to do. Some good long balls. Unlucky with the deflection on the second goal but I think some days he is able to react to that.

Pervis 6 - not awful but didn't contribute much and had very little chemistry with Tross today

Trossard 4 - wonder if he even needed a shower after the game. Already in Qatar.
Enciso 4 - ran around, barely touched the ball and when he did he usually lost it

Lamptey 6 - did ok but would have needed another 10 minutes or so to really get going, I think
Undav 5 - see Welbeck
I agree with these. I was VERY disappointed with Trossard, after just 20 minutes I probably bored the guy next to me by saying I’d hook him, but I stand by it, he is a VERY good player when he’s at it but unbelievably frustrating when he’s not and I think you can tell early in games which way it’s going to go.

I’d add RDZ as a 5, got the vital sub wrong, should have moved Gross and brought Veltman or Lamptey on. I think he probably knew it too.

Having said all that the illness to Mitoma was a game changer, he was unplayable v Wolves and for 45 mins v Arsenal. f***ing Villa.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought both of them did very well and kept the game fairly close despite no-one else in Brighton really doing anything useful.

Ali Mac managed to get 66 out of 68 (97%) of his passes to the right adress, which I imagine could be the best success rate ever for a Brighton midfielder in the PL.
Agreed, I thought Caicedo was very good today, next best after Colwill, and Mac Allister good with the exception of their second goal. That also stands out as it’s so rare to see him lose a ball.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sanchez 6 - not at fault for either goal, did what he had to well enough
Dunk 4 - rare poor game from him, couldn’t handle Ings
Colwill 6 - did OK but should have done better with a free header
Estupinian 6 - got forward well, bit suspect at the back
Gross 6 - as usual good on the ball, positioning left him defensively exposed until Veltman came on
MacAllister 5 - good finish, gave away their second, many misplaced passes in good areas
Caicedo 5 - similar to Ali Mac, some good play but also wasteful with the ball
March 4 - given the runaround by Digne, improved later but needed better delivery
Lallana n/a - didn’t see enough to rate
Welbeck 2 - lacked anything of value
Trossard 3 - bar some good runs, anonymous

Enciso 4 - anonymous, the wrong player at the wrong time
Veltman 6 - did what he had to in shoring up the right of defence
Lamptey 7 - only consistent threat when he came on
Undav 2 - see Welbeck

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Sanchez 5 - The penalty thing is getting on my nerves now. Just cover the middle of the goal instead of diving in the opposite direction the balls going.

Pervis 6 - Every other left back in the league would have dragged Cash down in the build up to the goal and taken a yellow. Naive
Dunk 4 - That must have made Southgate feel better.
Colwill 8 - The only positive. Well played
Gross 5 - One of many having an off day

Caicedo 7 - He's usually much better but with the nightmare going on around him he did alright
Mac Allister 6 - Their winner was horrific. You'd seen earlier the consequences of getting caught there.

Trossard 6 - Plays much better when Welbeck isn't there
Enciso 5 - Too lightweight and inexperienced for a full game against a team like Villa
March 6 - poor first half, got better and better in the second.

Welbeck 5 - I wish we hadn't found the key to his injuries.

Subs
Veltman 6 - solid , should have started
Lamptey 6 - should have been brought on way earlier
Undav 5 - Dear me, I have Locadia vibes

The striker thing is now so so obvious and Lallana's comments last week were ridiculous. We don't need one away or against a top 6 team at home but against the other 13 at home we are desperate for a decent no.9. If Trossard goes in January......
Three of the games we've lost this season, Villa, Fulham and Brentford, what's the common denominator with those teams? MOM their no.9.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Undav 5 - see Welbeck
Pretty much as I saw it. Wrong initial sub and two much passing around... I would have rated Wellbeck higher than undav....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
According to my failed bet stats Caicedo put in half a dozen successful tackles. Which is quite a lot.

Colwill was good.

March had some good stuff.

Villa were horrible.

Ref and VAR were proper shit.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I agree with these. I was VERY disappointed with Trossard, after just 20 minutes I probably bored the guy next to me by saying I’d hook him, but I stand by it, he is a VERY good player when he’s at it but unbelievably frustrating when he’s not and I think you can tell early in games which way it’s going to go.

I’d add RDZ as a 5, got the vital sub wrong, should have moved Gross and brought Veltman or Lamptey on. I think he probably knew it too.

Having said all that the illness to Mitoma was a game changer, he was unplayable v Wolves and for 45 mins v Arsenal. f***ing Villa.
Trossard struggles against teams that stifle with the low block. He needs a little bit of space, and the flicks and back heels etc won't work when you're never more than 3 or 4 feet from an opposing player. I'm not even sure man city would have got through that back wall of 6 in the last 15 mins. Having been frustrated at the game, I re-endured it on MOTD and Aston Villa defence were like a chorus line at the end, just shuffling from side to side as we tried to work it forward. On top of that, we were shithoused by some horrific timewasting. Anyway, i'm digressing this is supposed to be a player ratings thread....
I thought Colwill looked good(apart from the header)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Sanchez - 5

Gross - 5
Dunk - 4
Colwill - 5
Estupinan -5

Caicedo - 6
Mac Allister - 7

March - 6
Lallana - n/a
Trossard - 3

Welbeck -5

Enciso - 5
Veltman - 5
Lamptey - 6
Undav - 5

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Undav 5 - see Welbeck

Perhaps Caciedo a 7, but can’t disagree that much

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
4 points on player selection.

Dunk looked poor at RCB, Webster’s absence hit the back line hard. Perhaps Veltman & Colwill would have been a better selection.

Trossard looked poor at left wing whilst he has looked so good at No.9. Mitoma’s absence really, really hurt the side. I looked at our front 4 starting attacking players and only saw one player (Tross) capable of scoring at the moment.

The Enciso substitution was a mistake. Sarmiento may have been a good option but he was another player missing out on the squad. Groß was the obvious choice to shift roles (which happened later). Veltman could have replaced him easily enough at right-back. The other options would have been the impressive Gilmour coming on with Mac back to No.10.

Finally, Undav was no worse than Welbeck. Marked by 3 players most of the time with no service.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sanchez - 5

Gross - 5
Dunk - 4
Colwill - 5
Estupinan -5

Caicedo - 6
Mac Allister - 7

March - 6
Lallana - n/a
Trossard - 3

Welbeck -5

Enciso - 5
Veltman - 5
Lamptey - 6
Undav - 5
Giving your MoTM to the guy who gave Villa their second goal with a horrific mistake is a bit weird. Mac cost us 2 points yesterday.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sanchez - 5

Gross - 5
Dunk - 5
Colwill - 7
Estupinan -5

Caicedo - 6
Mac Allister - 6

March - 5.5
Lallana - n/a
Trossard - 5

Welbeck -5

Enciso - 5
Veltman - 6
Lamptey - 6

As "meh" a performance as you will see under De Zerbi.
Lalanna going off changed the game - surprised to see Enciso come on, assumed Gilmour would be the replacement.

Felt we reverted to Potterball when the low block came in.
Colwill the only one not affected. He attempted a couple of nice quick forward passes.

The others seemed to prefer the relentless side to side passing, followed by intricate touches, trying to unpick a packed penalty box.
Probably has a similar percentage success rate as shooting from 30 yards, just takes a lot longer.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Rubbish game with on the day 2 poor sides and 3 poor goals given away.. We would have been delighted to be 2-1 up away and end end up winning playing like Villa. Proved once again we are poor at home when side is sitting back. Manager sticks with players that beat Chelsea and Wolves but both of them came at us and our wide players had space and many one on ones. Needs something different in these games. Pace wanted up front and Lampty could have started. Trossard wasted playing as winger and March a better defender than an attacker. Poor mid field People have praised Mac and Caicedo. Agree both good round half way line but contributed nothing upfront. Encisco was terrible.
Sanchez 6
Gross 5 Not a full back
Dunk 4 Poor and bad tackle for goal
Colwill 7 Good pity about header
Pervis 6 ok
Mac 4 Terrible mistake for goal
Encisco 3 Very poor Lost ball many times in midfield and when attacking looked headless
Caicedo 5 best of poor midfield.
March 3 a good defender but poor attacker. If all the crowd know he will stop put on left foot and pass inside or back am sure defenders know.
Trossard 5 Just not a left winger.
Welbeck 4 some sympathy because poor service but didnt seem to make the usual runs into space

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I thought Colwill was outstanding as a 19year old on full debut for us. Looked composed, had pace, tackled and was good in the air apart from the header near the end. He looked better than Ben White to me at a similar age (ok only one game). We should sign him up if we are still friends with Chelsea. Maybe get a discount if we release Winstanley early.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez - 6
Gross - 5
Dunk - 4
Colwill - 6.5
Estupinan - 5.5
Caicedo - 6
Mac Allister - 6
March - 5.5
Trossard - 5
Welbeck -5
Enciso - 5

Veltman - 6.5
Lamptey - 6
Undav - 5

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Giving your MoTM to the guy who gave Villa their second goal with a horrific mistake is a bit weird. Mac cost us 2 points yesterday.
Not really, everyone made a lot more mistakes than he did. I accept he was at fault for the goal though arguably Dunk dived in as well.

Thought of all the players he was the nearest to his normal level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here