Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player of the Season 1996/97...

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
You could make a case for a few of the players…

Maskell got a lot of goals in a hugely struggling team

Baird also got his fair share of goals and sacrificed himself against Donny to get Darren Moore sent off

Paul McDonald keeping his cool when literally everyone else in the ground was losing theirs to score a late pen in the 4-4 against Leyton Orient.

Minton who did have the talent, but not quite enough to make up for the shortcomings of others

Reinelt, just because…

Storer who absolutely ran his heart out all season and I think probably shades it for me.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
After a disappointing first year at the club, it’s got to be Stuart Storer for me.

Ignoring (if you can) the last Goldstone goal, he was immense all season and his efforts on the pitch epitomised the efforts off the pitch. He totally ‘got’ what we were fighting for.

Storer signed towards the end of the previous season. The team was dead and buried by then. Over the course of the following season, he definitely did enough to get my vote, too.

Minton did not play as much as people think. Although a key player in the run in for sure.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Storer signed towards the end of the previous season. The team was dead and buried by then. Over the course of the following season, he definitely did enough to get my vote, too.

Minton did not play as much as people think. Although a key player in the run in for sure.

He eventually made his debut at the 3-3 game at St Andrews at the end of the 1994/95 season.

The penalty is laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1kDRD-iInc

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Storer for me. 100% effort, all game, every game and scored the last ever goal at the goldstone.

Honourable mentions to Baird, Maskell, and Minton.

I'm not sure we can give it Reinelt, even though he scored that goal. He was mostly a sub unless my memory is deceiving me?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Craig Maskell. Good striker. We were lucky to have him.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ahhh we had him for much longer than I thought! I vaguely remember that Birmingham game. What a game it was!

Two things, that Munday overhead was absolutely sublime and was that the game where Barry Fry said his legendary quip: “we started like Juventus and finished like Fray bentos” ?

Actually, three things... boy we clearly had great attacking fullbacks during that game... superb.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Minton for me but I was 15. Probably looking for different things in a player at that age. I loved him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm guessing Reinelt will nab this for obvious reasons, but I'm torn between Maskell and Minton.

Definitely 'Latest TV debate' worthy.

Maskell - always felt his hattrick against Hartlepool kick started that season and to get 14 goals in an awful team is a good return.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Storer has been named player of the season for 96-97

Reinelt 2nd
Mayo 3rd

Happy with that .
Glad it wasn’t reinelt.
He may be the most important player in the club’s history but he wasn’t player of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here