Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] People you used to dislike but have warmed to

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Major's government was repeatedly mired in sleeze and scandals - even more so than the Tory shambles that exists now - it was the main reason Blair was able to win the election in 1997

But the difference is perhaps that Major was trying hard to avoid or stop it, whereas Johnson is leading it and creating plenty of it himself, or encouraging others to do so.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I initially didn't like Ugo Ehiogu first time I I ever met him. I thought he was quite stand offish. But as I got to know him I realized he was just really shy until he became comfortable with you.

In the end I found him really funny and really nice bloke.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Tyson Fury - I couldn't stand him but now he makes me chuckle with his antics (and he backs it up)

100% agree with this. Was hoping he was going to get smashed by Klitschko in '15, but since then have really warmed to him.

Another in the sporting arena is Tom Brady. Hated him when he was just a robotic winning machine but watched that Superbowl comeback v the Falcons in amazement, had to appreciate I was watching true sporting greatness and he has really shown off his personality in Tampa.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another vote for Portillo. He genuinely seems to like people and be interested in their welfare now.

It says a lot about the Tories that one can change an opinion when they now demonstrate the absolute bare minimum of humanity.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
David Cameron (compared to Johnson, one of our best PMs)

Margaret Thatcher (see above)

Kevin Day (Always disliked him because of his high profile support of Palace. But I couldn’t have been more wrong about the bloke having listened to the PoF pod regularly; an absolute legend).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
you got that arse about face, he was/is a decentish chap, regardless of his underlings carry on

Nah - Major was up to his eyeballs in it - presenting a clean, socially conservative ;back to basics' image whille up to all kinds of shennanigans behind the scenes and defending every Tory caught up in a scandal.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Major was an incompetent leader, completely out of his depth, rightly turfed out after one term.

He actually won the 1992 election despite the Tories being hammered into defeat on the Poll Tax and getting involved in the first Gulf War - demonstrates the real political incompetent of the 1980s and early 1990s - Baron Kinnock of Bedwellty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He actually won the 1992 election despite the Tories being hammered into defeat on the Poll Tax and getting involved in the first Gulf War - demonstrates the real political incompetent of the 1980s and early 1990s - Baron Kinnock of Bedwellty.

Style over substance, at 1:31 is one of the cringy-est moments in UK political campaigning. The puppet master, a Kiwi PR 'expert' Brian Gould.

On a par with David Steel's 1981 "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government" :lolol:.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
???

Capture.JPG

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Nah - Major was up to his eyeballs in it - presenting a clean, socially conservative ;back to basics' image whille up to all kinds of shennanigans behind the scenes and defending every Tory caught up in a scandal.

go on ............................................

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

any evidence at all? or is just what you would like to believe?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
An accurate one - seven years of scandal after scandal. The Boris government would run it a clase second and may even pass it out if they survive long enough - but Major's government was bad.

any details, at all? how many billions were spaffed?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
any details, at all? how many billions were spaffed?

the Major government cost the British taxpayer massive amounts of money in a rampage of PFIs and PPPs that were the flagship of his government's economic policy - policies that people in Britain as still paying for today.

Just to be clear - we are talking of a measure of degrees here - evey single government that has existed in Britain since Thatcher came to power in 1979 has been mired in corruption, scandal, and economic catastrophe. By the time he is finished Boris could well - and probably will - top the lot (the one thing that would solidfy it is if he gets Britain bogged down in a war in Ukraine or somewhere else).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here