[News] Pedestrian jailed for manslaughter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I walk my dog along the Shoreham to Lancing footpath by Widewater every single day and have done for years. It was split into 2 lanes and it was a constant issue with pedestrians and dogs walking into the cycle lane and the very occasional cyclist gets really arsey about it. The footpath is probably about as wide as the one in the incident, 2.4m.

A few years ago they got rid of the lines and made it a shared path. It's a very busy cycle lane around 5-6pm and with a dog off the lead you have to be aware of cyclists.

There are cyclists who just barrel along and don't care. There are pedestrians and dog walkers who amble along and block the whole path and don't care.

I would say I've had maybe 3-4 "incidents" with cyclists over the years where they've just been a wanker. That's roughly 1 in 3,000 who are not considerate. The onus is on the cyclist due to the speed V a pedestrian. But the vast majority are pretty decent.

In my experience shared paths do work in the majority. But like a lot of things, there are exceptions to the general case.
That f***ing path.

I use it most days in Summer. My biggest gripe is people walking on the incorrect side of the path.

Stick to the left. That’s how everything works.

Obviously people have to move about at times and I’m not going to get annoyed at small kids on bikes and scooters but the fuckers that walk on the wrong side or meander aimlessly four abreast grind my gears.

I’d like some sort of marching system. Get this sorted once and for all.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's a well known "thing"" that some pedestrians are intolerant to cyclists and that some cyclists act like wankers (considering they are the ones travelling at higher speed). Therefore, personally I would never approach a pedestrian while cycling at any speed at all and as a pedestrian if a cyclist is approaching at any thing other than a crawl I'd step aside. I just wouldn't trust the other person I'm afraid. Unfortunately it looks like both these vulnerable people didn't adjust their behaviour and this was the end result. Some sympathy for both but mostly to the elderly person who died. The pedestrian may have learning disabilities and visual difficulties but they can still be an unpleasant personality.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I walk my dog along the Shoreham to Lancing footpath by Widewater every single day and have done for years. It was split into 2 lanes and it was a constant issue with pedestrians and dogs walking into the cycle lane and the very occasional cyclist gets really arsey about it. The footpath is probably about as wide as the one in the incident, 2.4m.

A few years ago they got rid of the lines and made it a shared path. It's a very busy cycle lane around 5-6pm and with a dog off the lead you have to be aware of cyclists.

There are cyclists who just barrel along and don't care. There are pedestrians and dog walkers who amble along and block the whole path and don't care.

I would say I've had maybe 3-4 "incidents" with cyclists over the years where they've just been a wanker. That's roughly 1 in 3,000 who are not considerate. The onus is on the cyclist due to the speed V a pedestrian. But the vast majority are pretty decent.

In my experience shared paths do work in the majority. But like a lot of things, there are exceptions to the general case.
Dogs are supposed to be on leads, especially along Widewater. Cyclists must dismount at the Lancing Sailing Club, even when they place is very obviously not in use. The bye laws seem to do their best to take the joy out of the whole thing.

Personally a well behaved dog (one that is not bothering the birds in Widewater) off lead is preferable to any dog on an extendable lead.

For cyclists it should be patently obvious, if you are planning to go fast, go on the road. Traffic can't really progress along that stretch of road at any pace, so a cyclist going flat out is not going to greatly inconvenience anyone. If you want a nice gentle ride, take the cycle path. It is lovely, people can get a bit petty at times just smile and enjoy the scenery.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Dogs are supposed to be on leads, especially along Widewater. Cyclists must dismount at the Lancing Sailing Club, even when they place is very obviously not in use. The bye laws seem to do their best to take the joy out of the whole thing.

Personally a well behaved dog (one that is not bothering the birds in Widewater) off lead is preferable to any dog on an extendable lead.

For cyclists it should be patently obvious, if you are planning to go fast, go on the road. Traffic can't really progress along that stretch of road at any pace, so a cyclist going flat out is not going to greatly inconvenience anyone. If you want a nice gentle ride, take the cycle path. It is lovely, people can get a bit petty at times just smile and enjoy the scenery.
That's no longer the case. It used to be - when the lane was split - but it was part of the agreement to make it a shared space.

The screenshot from Google Maps isn't clear - but as opposed to the old sign telling cyclist to discount, the sign now says 'Cycle with care, pedestrians have priority'. It's the same for the section running past The Perch.

I agree with your last bit about how it should be used. I also agree with @The Clamp 's comment about some pedestrians and dog walkers.

As with anything these days, if only everyone could have a little consideration for others ... maybe we could all get along without getting worked up and angry.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 13.09.01.png

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The screenshot from Google Maps isn't clear - but as opposed to the old sign telling cyclist to discount, the sign now says 'Cycle with care, pedestrians have priority'. It's the same for the section running past The Perch.

As with anything these days, if only everyone could have a little consideration for others ... maybe we could all get along without getting worked up and angry.
Isn't it a shame that councils feel the need to tell people to do what should be obvious - show consideration and courtesy to others.

I've just been to pick up my car from the garage. On the way round, I heard a bell ring from behind, and then two lads, one on an electric scooter, and one on an electric hire bike, came past me. At no time did I shout 'Get off the f***ing pavement', or push either of them into the road.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It's a well known "thing"" that some pedestrians are intolerant to cyclists and that some cyclists act like wankers (considering they are the ones travelling at higher speed). Therefore, personally I would never approach a pedestrian while cycling at any speed at all and as a pedestrian if a cyclist is approaching at any thing other than a crawl I'd step aside. I just wouldn't trust the other person I'm afraid. Unfortunately it looks like both these vulnerable people didn't adjust their behaviour and this was the end result. Some sympathy for both but mostly to the elderly person who died. The pedestrian may have learning disabilities and visual difficulties but they can still be an unpleasant personality.
The thing is, there's a difference between not adjusting your behaviour and moving towards the cyclist waving your arms and shouting.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
These discussions should never be about pedestrians v cyclists v car drivers, it should be about dickheads v non-dickheads. If you're the former, it doesn't matter whether you're walking, on two wheels or in car, the chances are you're gonna act like a dick. If you're the latter, the chances are you're going to encounter the former and probably end up tutting quite loudly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It’s an interesting one this. I didn’t realise the highway code had been changed last year so that a car entering a junction had to stop for any pedestrians moving into the road. So if you come off a roundabout, for example, doing 30 and someone decides to step out just as you’re coming off, you’re liable as the driver now.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
These discussions should never be about pedestrians v cyclists v car drivers, it should be about dickheads v non-dickheads. If you're the former, it doesn't matter whether you're walking, on two wheels or in car, the chances are you're gonna act like a dick. If you're the latter, the chances are you're going to encounter the former and probably end up tutting quite loudly.
Yep looks like this guy could be going to prison https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/road-rage-driver-dorset-viral-court-b2540782.html

Missing from this report is her evidence which says that she beeped her horn after a car cut her up so sharply as she was leaving the supermarket car park that she braked sharply and everything fell off the shelf in her car. Nothing justifies his behaviour and he deserves what he gets, I just wonder how fast was she driving out of that car park? It isn't always dickheads v non-dickheads.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yep looks like this guy could be going to prison https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/road-rage-driver-dorset-viral-court-b2540782.html

Missing from this report is her evidence which says that she beeped her horn after a car cut her up so sharply as she was leaving the supermarket car park that she braked sharply and everything fell off the shelf in her car. Nothing justifies his behaviour and he deserves what he gets, I just wonder how fast was she driving out of that car park? It isn't always dickheads v non-dickheads.
Well yeah, occasionally it's dickhead v dickhead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never mind The Highway Code, common sense and decency tells people NOT to push others in front of a moving vehicle, regardless of the circumstances.
Push? Shouting and waving her arms I don't think qualifies as a push. Very unfortunate that the incident ended in the death of the cyclist, but manslaughter? No, it never was and the conviction has been rightly overturned.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Push? Shouting and waving her arms I don't think qualifies as a push. Very unfortunate that the incident ended in the death of the cyclist, but manslaughter? No, it never was and the conviction has been rightly overturned.
OK, then, "light contact". Source: horse's mouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports