Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 2001 - The Battle of Longford

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My now ex-wife was out in Ireland for her hen do with, amongst others, [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION]'s wife. The cancellation of the remainder of the tour stuffed up their plans to take in the game after Longford.

(At the same time around 25 of us were, nearly all Albion fans, were taking in the Amsterdam pre-season tournament and other offerings of the city...

Seventeen years ago. Holy crap. And I haven't eaten calzone since :eek::mad::lolol:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
What a weird day that was. A load of us ended up in a picture of the scrap in the carpark in The Sun.

Loads of legendary Albion fans at that game, all of 'em still go now, I think. I remember getting a train back across Ireland and trying to describe it in a believable way to my pals.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I went on this tour with a mate. After the tour was cancelled we stayed in Roscommon for a couple of days as it was Rosfest and then we went to Galway for the horse racing festival.

Every cloud.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Pre-Season friendly

All going smoothly, until Andy Crosby gets elbowed, Matt Wicks & Steve Melton go mental, then Charlie Oatway gets mistakenly sent off.

Cue mass brawl, match abandoned and the rest of the tour cancelled.

And people moan about a 0-0 against Lewes

View attachment 67314

I still have the programme, can't believe it was 17 years ago

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember it well. Was down to go to Athlone in next fixture but tour abandoned.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
Memories....maybe hazy ones. I was also there, but in my memory Oatway got in a tangle with one of their players as part of the mini melee, which suddenly escalated massively - there was an accusation of biting. Then as he was walking off after being sent off, the Longford player also got sent off by the ref - and then sprinted after Charlie and it sparked a 21 player brawl with Zamora the other 1 half heartedly running over to not join in.

Longford had a uefa cup game coming up, and according to some locals we met in one of their lovely pubs afterwards the Longford guy who got sent off was fuming because a) he got bitten b) he got sent off for reacting c) it meant he'd be suspended and miss the UEFA cup game.

Anyway, a brilliant night out, squeezing about 15 people into a 7 seat cab back into town and the Longford lads saying "f*** the players, let's all get pissed". Then hearing on Irish national radio the following morning the report, and also the news the tour was cancelled :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here