Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
towell-l229-2829223_478x359.jpg

Richie Towell
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
06:00 1st December 2015
by James Hilsum
Obviously I cannot play until after 2nd January, so I need to keep myself in the best shape possible."
Richie Towell
New Brighton & Hove Albion signing Richie Towell will work as hard as possible between now and January as he looks to break into the team in the New Year.
The 24-year-old’s move from Dundalk was confirmed yesterday and while the attacking midfielder harbours long-term ambitions of breaking into the Ireland senior team, his immediate aim is to establish himself in Chris Hughton’s plans once he officially signs on 2 January.
He said, “First and foremost, I need to break into the Brighton squad. They’ve got some very good players here.
“I know it’s not going to be easy for me, but I’m determined to give the manager a few selection headaches. I’m really excited to get started.
“Obviously I cannot play until after 2nd January, so I need to keep myself in the best shape possible.
“We had a long season at Dundalk, but I love football and don’t want too much of a break now. I want to keep my fitness up so I can hit the ground running and hopefully I can make an impact as soon as I get here.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Towell will bring a winning mentality to the team after back-to-back League of Ireland titles in the last two seasons. He also won an FAI Cup medal this year - completing an Irish league and cup 'double'.
He also found the net 29 times in 44 league and cup matches* last season and won the Irish PFA Young Player of the Year Award in 2013.“We had a really successful time and I managed to score quite a few goals which got me the recognition.
“I’ve worked a lot on my shooting with my right foot and left foot, so to bring goalscoring into my game was brilliant.
“The personal accolades are nice, but the overall team achievement was unbelievable. We had worked really hard as a group; the management and players. We got our just rewards for that.
“The manager [Stephen Kenny] was great for our development there. As soon as we came back from winning the first title, he was adamant on winning another one and it drove us on to win it again.”
The Irishman is now relishing the prospect of working under Hughton and linking up with Colin Calderwood once again, after their time together at Hibernian.
“He seems like a great manager and to work with someone like him will be a great privilege.
“I was very lucky to work with Colin Calderwood at Hibs [on loan from Celtic] and he brought me there when I was really young.
“To get back and work with him will be brilliant and I’m really excited to get started now.”

[h=3]ALBION V CHARLTON ATHLETIC*
[/h]SATURDAY 5TH DECEMBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V MIDDLESBROUGH*
[/h]SATURDAY 19TH DECEMBER, KICK-OFF 12.30PM

[h=3]ALBION V IPSWICH TOWN**
[/h]TUESDAY 29TH DECEMBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here