Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Definitely……I’m (at 57) doing a fair amount of weights work in the gym now (having cut down on running which I was doing to the exclusion of anything else). Feel much better as a result. Not doing anything heavy as no wish to bulk up but lots of reps and a variety of machines.

Also maintaining bone density, important for your next 53 years of travelling the world :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe/hopefully when the weather gets better you can walk them (in a buggy, or on scooters or whatever – don't know how old the kids are), which will kill two birds with one stone? Any kind of physical activity helps, just try not to beat yourself up too much about it – especially when you're trying to manage kids at the same time!

On the subject of fasting, I did the 5-2 diet for ages and didn't lose any weight at all! Granted that wasn't the goal – I was more interested in the health benefits – but I just found myself eating more during non-fasting days/times. But we're all different and I know it works for a lot of people...

Good luck.

You’ve hit the nail, it fails if eating increases on the other days.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Once again I'm bouncing this for selfish reasons.

Been really poor this winter and it's making me feel sluggish, low energy. Deep into young fatherhood and struggling for time and motivation to exercise.

It baffles me that looking after your children doesn't burn more calories. It's bloody knackering.

I'm at about 109kgs now, biggest ever was about 118kgs, long term aim is 80-85kgs.
I too have struggled this winter, it's the endless rain - give me the occasional cold, sunny, snowy day and I'd be happier.
I don't have a weight problem but have lost upper body strength over the years.

GP Health review wants me to do more cardio and some arm strengthening.

I'm an older dad (MUCH older 😬) and I think the issue with the looking -after-the -kids thing is that it's quite stressful: school runs, sports club runs, homework help/chasing, are they happy, what's bothering them etc etc
So, for me, it's knackering because it's stressful, and I have rarely made the time to exercise harder and burn off the stress induced adrenalin.
Son is now 14 and we're starting gym sessions together, so hopefully this can be a turning point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Let’s both get there!

Another reason to achieve this is for our kids …. a healthier dad who’s going to around for a long time :love:
That's 100% what it's about for me. I want the energy to keep up with them, and want to set a good example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Peaked at 100kg last March, I'm 5'8 so my BME was obese. I started intermittent fasting 17/7 on max calories of 1300 per day Sunday-Thursday (still wanted to enjoy weekends, but not overdo it). Managed to get down to 70kg by December.
That's really impressive, what stopped you from slipping? What kept you motivated and disciplined?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I get what people are saying about the winter months affecting their appetite to exercise.
My suggestion would be to create an exercise regime that you can do at home for these periods.
I started doing a kettlebell workout at the start of COVID lockdown and I still do this now, twice a week.
I do it on the same days at the same time. It takes me 35 minutes. After a while it just becomes part of my weekly routine.
Lots of examples on YouTube.
Great thing about a kettlebell is that it is very contained, in that you can do on the spot and so you can exercise in a small area.
Has kept me relatively fit and strong ( for 58) over the past 4 years.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Definitely……I’m (at 57) doing a fair amount of weights work in the gym now (having cut down on running which I was doing to the exclusion of anything else). Feel much better as a result. Not doing anything heavy as no wish to bulk up but lots of reps and a variety of machines.
I get my cardio from rowing. I don’t do anything heavy as I’m not big enough (6’ 1” and 73kg) and any dreams of being like Adonis went years ago.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's 100% what it's about for me. I want the energy to keep up with them, and want to set a good example.

[Said with nice intent] for anyone …. turning 50 I’ve started to see relatives and associates getting serious health conditions from being heavily overweight. One, could’ve passed away over New Year, they’re BMI was through the roof, some major surgery they just made it. Now a lifetime of a low fat diet. When I had a brush with C, I found out that my one contributory factor might’ve been being overweight.

Easily prevented.

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
That's really impressive, what stopped you from slipping? What kept you motivated and disciplined?

I knew I had to lose weight, when I was younger (35 now) I was very slim. I had my Sisters wedding coming up in December. I had a bet with a colleague who also wanted to lose weight that whoever lost the most weight after 3 months would win £100. I'm very competitive and didn't want to lose.

I set a target of 68.3kg to lose by then, couldn't quite get to it, but the last few months I was yo-young between 70-73kg. But happy with where I got too.

I would skip breakfast, and have a diet protein shake of about 200 calories at 13:00, then have dinner of around 800 calories at about 6pm. First week was tough, after that it just becomes habit. I'd also make sure I got my 10k steps in each day.

Still had treats, or takeaways and alcohol at the weekend, but swapped beer for whisky and coke zero.

Just have to maintain now, expect the weight to go up, but am training each day so should keep it in check.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I knew I had to lose weight, when I was younger (35 now) I was very slim. I had my Sisters wedding coming up in December. I had a bet with a colleague who also wanted to lose weight that whoever lost the most weight after 3 months would win £100. I'm very competitive and didn't want to lose.

I set a target of 68.3kg to lose by then, couldn't quite get to it, but the last few months I was yo-young between 70-73kg. But happy with where I got too.

I would skip breakfast, and have a diet protein shake of about 200 calories at 13:00, then have dinner of around 800 calories at about 6pm. First week was tough, after that it just becomes habit. I'd also make sure I got my 10knstepsnin each day.

Still had treats, or takeaways and alcohol at the weekend, but swapped beer for whisky and coke zero.

Just have to maintain now, expect the weight to go up, but am training each day so should keep it in check.
That is seriously impressive, honestly, really well done.

I have managed to go from 116kgs to 81kgs previously (before kidney stones messed me up) so I know it can be done, I do though then worry about maintaining, in a way I think that's harder than losing weight because there's a clearer, positive goal to losing weight.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
That is seriously impressive, honestly, really well done.

I have managed to go from 116kgs to 81kgs previously (before kidney stones messed me up) so I know it can be done, I do though then worry about maintaining, in a way I think that's harder than losing weight because there's a clearer, positive goal to losing weight.

How did you lose that much? That's very impressive. I was also taking 3grams of L-Carnitine Tartate each day which helps convert fat into energy and multi vitamins each day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How did you lose that much? That's very impressive. I was also taking 3grams of L-Carnitine Tartate each day which helps convert fat into energy and multi vitamins each day.
A few things;
  • Tonnes of water every day - helps with feeling full
  • Intermittent fasting - I would only eat between about 11pm and 8pm - brush teeth after dinner which would stop me wanting to eat more
  • A LOT more exercise than I get presently - that fitness push started around COVID time so I had a lot of spare time and the weather was excellent, so it was much easier than in the depths of this winter where weather's been bad and I'm knackered looking after 2 kids (only had 1 then)
  • The motivation of seeing the pounds drop off kept me upping my intensity. However I overdid it - at one point losing nearly a stone a month which was too fast - and this caused me to produce kidney stones (6 of the bastards).
So then over the next 3 years I've just slowly crept back up from 81kgs to about 110kgs. Now at 108kgs having tried to restart since January.

Just find it hard to constantly fall off the horse and have to climb back on. It's mentally draining. Every day being day one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few things;
  • Tonnes of water every day - helps with feeling full
  • Intermittent fasting - I would only eat between about 11pm and 8pm - brush teeth after dinner which would stop me wanting to eat more
  • A LOT more exercise than I get presently - that fitness push started around COVID time so I had a lot of spare time and the weather was excellent, so it was much easier than in the depths of this winter where weather's been bad and I'm knackered looking after 2 kids (only had 1 then)
  • The motivation of seeing the pounds drop off kept me upping my intensity. However I overdid it - at one point losing nearly a stone a month which was too fast - and this caused me to produce kidney stones (6 of the bastards).
So then over the next 3 years I've just slowly crept back up from 81kgs to about 110kgs. Now at 108kgs having tried to restart since January.

Just find it hard to constantly fall off the horse and have to climb back on. It's mentally draining. Every day being day one.

I found I put on weight when we altered our dinners to make kids happy eg pasta and garlic bread, not actually my thing. I know some cook for the kids at 5, then the parents for 8 or 9 when the kids are in bed. Fck that for a game of soldiers and it’s bad in itself to eat dinner close to sleep time.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure where else to put this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68510576

The NHS wants more people over 40 to get a blood pressure check, saying there are millions who do not realise they have dangerously high levels.
Often, there are no warning symptoms and it is thought about a third of cases are undiagnosed - that is 4.2 million people in England alone.
Sometimes called a "silent killer", high blood pressure can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
Free checks are available at many local pharmacies and GP surgeries.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I found I put on weight when we altered our dinners to make kids happy eg pasta and garlic bread, not actually my thing. I know some cook for the kids at 5, then the parents for 8 or 9 when the kids are in bed. Fck that for a game of soldiers and it’s bad in itself to eat dinner close to sleep time.
The problem with eating with the kids at 5pm is you end up peckish around 9/10pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here