Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Nile Rodgers - tracks of my years on Radio 2

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Ok so this is an old programme having been broadcast back in 2008 but what strikes me about him is how far he is up his own arse.

Most stars choose tracks that they grew up with and influenced them but Nile has chosen Let’s Dance by Bowie and Like a Virgin by Madonna.

He produced both of them!

That’s all, rant over except I still maintain he’s a one trick pony but only just realised how far up his own arse he is as well.

Every time I see this initially I see Nile ranger and hope to god we aren’t so desperate for a striker :lolol::lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The tracks of Nile Rogers formative years would most likely have been the jazz and hard bop played by his heroin addicted beatnik parents. It may have been quite an experience for Ken Bruce's audience to get a bit of Thelonious Monk, Ornette Coleman and Charles Mingus, but I'd guess that the programme maker preferred his Bowie and Madonna choices for daytime Radio 2.

He may be arrogant, but he has every right to be. You can argue that he reproduces his guitar sound too often, but given that it was the best thing to come out of disco and a foundation stone in the sound of hip-hop, you may as well be moaning that all of Bo Diddley's tunes had that Bo Diddley guitar sound. The one that influenced virtually all rock and pop music.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He’s still banging on with Ken Bruce about how fecking amazing he is and still playing his own songs :lolol:

Ah at last a song by someone else - Sex Machine but comparing to how he did similar things on his songs

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Ok so this is an old programme having been broadcast back in 2008 but what strikes me about him is how far he is up his own arse.

Most stars choose tracks that they grew up with and influenced them but Nile has chosen Let’s Dance by Bowie and Like a Virgin by Madonna.

He produced both of them!

That’s all, rant over except I still maintain he’s a one trick pony but only just realised how far up his own arse he is as well.

This. Everything he does sounds the same. Totally over-rated in my view.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I thought this thread was going to be about Nile Ranger describing his footballing decline in musical terms. Then I realised, wrong Nile.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This. Everything he does sounds the same. Totally over-rated in my view.

If Nile is honoured a little too much these days, this is just payback for the years when the music industry wouldn't touch him as an act because of Chic's association with disco. The Gibb Brothers went through a similar arc. Saying everything he does sounds the same is something that you could say about many genre defining artists: AC/DC, Abba, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, James Brown, Johnny Cash, etc. etc.

Given how annoyed Icy Gull seems by his arrogance, I've been wondering how incensed he would have been had these interviews happened during Nile's cokehead period.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
James Brown is over rated too

Otis Redding was/is the king of soul, enee fule kno that

Otis was a great singer and very decent songwriter, but his sound was that of Booker T & The MGs/The Mar Keys/Bar Keys and his vocal style owed a lot to his idol Sam Cooke. He doesn't compare with James Brown at all in terms of his responsibility for the way his music sounded, the band(s) he put together, influence on black music, nor the stuff that JB did for black business, nor his social value to his community. JB was partly responsible for preventing further bloodshed after MLK was murdered. He's unrivaled by any other sixties soul star in terms of importance. Great though Otis was, it's not even a contest.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Much of what you say may well be the case [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION] and well done JB for that. I’m with [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] though - Otis is the finest male soul singer in my lifetime bar none - Aretha is the female equivalent imo

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Otis was a great singer and very decent songwriter, but his sound was that of Booker T & The MGs/The Mar Keys/Bar Keys and his vocal style owed a lot to his idol Sam Cooke. He doesn't compare with James Brown at all in terms of his responsibility for the way his music sounded, the band(s) he put together, influence on black music, nor the stuff that JB did for black business, nor his social value to his community. JB was partly responsible for preventing further bloodshed after MLK was murdered. He's unrivaled by any other sixties soul star in terms of importance. Great though Otis was, it's not even a contest.

No it's not really, good talking point though ;-)

JB thrashes Otis in Top trumps for most things, especially criminal record and wife beating, and Otis only managed to father 4 children. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here