Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] NHS today

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
To be clear - the Tories (and the Blairites before them) have been consciously sabotaging the NHS through a combination of lack of funding and creeping privatisation. Remember Boris and his claim about brexit and the money being used to fund the NHS - and people fell for it. The purpose for this is a long-term strategy to privatise healthcare foisting private health insurance of the British working class and middle class. A report in the last few days from Scientific America estimated that ovr 300,000 people died from covid in the USA because the USA does not have universal healthcare. The NHS will end up, at best, like the Irish two tier health system where people are dying on trollies in emergency departments after a wait of 10-15 hours, or there are five year waiting lists for consultations and treatment (like the kids in Ireland suffering from scoliosis) - while at the same time people with private health insurance can see a consultant within a couple of weeks (if they have private health insurance - and cough up €300-€500 for the consult). Private health care is big business and hugely profitable - and the vultures are circling.

At a certain point people will be forced to make a decision on whether to fight back - the NHS will break and a lot of people will die - and then it is down to whether a mass movement can be built to save the NHS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be clear - the Tories (and the Blairites before them) have been consciously sabotaging the NHS through a combination of lack of funding and creeping privatisation. Remember Boris and his claim about brexit and the money being used to fund the NHS - and people fell for it. The purpose for this is a long-term strategy to privatise healthcare foisting private health insurance of the British working class and middle class. A report in the last few days from Scientific America estimated that ovr 300,000 people died from covid in the USA because the USA does not have universal healthcare. The NHS will end up, at best, like the Irish two tier health system where people are dying on trollies in emergency departments after a wait of 10-15 hours, or there are five year waiting lists for consultations and treatment (like the kids in Ireland suffering from scoliosis) - while at the same time people with private health insurance can see a consultant within a couple of weeks (if they have private health insurance - and cough up €300-€500 for the consult). Private health care is big business and hugely profitable - and the vultures are circling.

At a certain point people will be forced to make a decision on whether to fight back - the NHS will break and a lot of people will die - and then it is down to whether a mass movement can be built to save the NHS.

Not forgetting PFI contracts, £13b of shiny new hospital infrastructure will cost the NHS/UK £80b. To a backdrop of low general finance costs.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/12/nhs-hospital-trusts-to-pay-out-further-55bn-under-pfi-scheme

A short while back a cabinet member from the 97 to 10 era was quizzed about this, he/she arrogantly said they had no regrets.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The Ambulance Service was asked by this Government to use a standardised Ambulance across the Country as currently each Ambulance service selects vehicles to meet their own needs which tended to be based upon Mercedes vans, anyway the new standard is based upon the Fiat Ducatto which it is being reported are not up to the job based on reliability problems and more worrying safety concerns regarding the cab design which means some drivers cannot find a position that is suitable

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's so common though and is a worry. Waiting times for the medics to arrive is getting worse. My wife collapsed in front of me while putting in a better position to assess her I immediately called 999, it was over 50 minutes before they got to me as which point I had three crews turn up at once. It was too late I'd done resus for all that time on my own, knowing full well it was too late to save her. I live just off the A21 midway between Hastings and Pembury. I thought I may have been "unlucky" but in truth I wasn't.

A and E is clogged up with people who have given up on their doctors called 111 and the computer says go to hospital. The wards are clogged up the ambulances are full of people waiting outside.

Our GP's have basically stopped working. Still taking the money but now you weeks to see them. Ever since they were given their new contracts under the Blair tenure their service has become so poor. My doctor's has two surgeries, Robertsbridge and Battle, six doctors employed but the surgeries are ghost towns. To be honest even if you do get to see a GP they are just a referral person. Then you wait forever for an appointment at hospital.

This useless government have got to do something it's not acceptable.

I can’t complain about our GP practise. Both my husband and myself have had face to face appts, and telephone appts when we’ve needed them this year.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
The Ambulance Service was asked by this Government to use a standardised Ambulance across the Country as currently each Ambulance service selects vehicles to meet their own needs which tended to be based upon Mercedes vans, anyway the new standard is based upon the Fiat Ducatto which it is being reported are not up to the job based on reliability problems and more worrying safety concerns regarding the cab design which means some drivers cannot find a position that is suitable

I work for the ambulance service and can confirm that the plan was to sack members of staff who were unable to “fit” the Fiat conversion ambulance under “some other substantial reason”.

GMB press release
SECAMB say that 10% of staff might not be adequately protected in the new-look fleet vans, as they will be too tall or too small.
GMB union welcomes the decision by South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAMB) senior management to lift the threat of a potential 10% reduction in front line staff to allow further discussions to take place.

The union is the union for NHS Frontline clinicians including paramedics and highly trained control room ambulance staff, and including SECAMB.

The original proposal to move from the current fleet of vehicles to a van-based conversion fleet led to an issue where the newly converted vans would have a problem with the seats and the seat belts for the driver and passenger.

The proposal was presented to the trade unions by SECAMB on 10 June.

SECAMB’s risk assessment found that the configuration of the seat and the seat belt do not provide adequate protection for certain staff as they are not suitable for a certain body type.

In SECAMB's own words, 10% of staff could either be too small or too tall to be adequately protected in the proposed newly converted vans,

Despite there being an option to maintain a mix of current and new vehicles and thereby protecting jobs, SECAMB originally decided to pursue a process of changing their whole fleet to a van-based conversion fleet which could have led to 10% of staff having to leave an already understaffed and overstretched service.

Charles Harrity, GMB Senior Organiser said:

"Frontline ambulance clinicians and Paramedics are highly trained and qualified professionals. The investment in the training and development of 10% of staff could have been thrown away due to their body shape. There has never been a minimum or maximum height requirement to work in the ambulance service. Skills and professionalism have always been the criteria to work in this service.

“Furthermore, SECAMB did not consider how their proposals would have affected future recruitment policy nor the impact that such a change would have on their stated policy on promoting inclusivity and diversity in the workforce. The proposal also had the distinct possibility that long term experienced staff could have been forced out of the service for the bizarre reason that they are either too small or too tall.

“The GMB along with sister trade unions raised objections to this proposal and welcome the decision that the company have, for the time being, taken this bizarre and economically driven proposal off the table.

“The GMB will be seeking complete reassurance from SECAMB that neither body shape nor size will be a defining criteria for employment in the ambulance service.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I work for the ambulance service and can confirm that the plan was to sack members of staff who were unable to “fit” the Fiat conversion ambulance under “some other substantial reason”.

GMB press release
SECAMB say that 10% of staff might not be adequately protected in the new-look fleet vans, as they will be too tall or too small.
GMB union welcomes the decision by South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAMB) senior management to lift the threat of a potential 10% reduction in front line staff to allow further discussions to take place.

The union is the union for NHS Frontline clinicians including paramedics and highly trained control room ambulance staff, and including SECAMB.

The original proposal to move from the current fleet of vehicles to a van-based conversion fleet led to an issue where the newly converted vans would have a problem with the seats and the seat belts for the driver and passenger.

SECAMB’s risk assessment found that the configuration of the seat and the seat belt do not provide adequate protection for certain staff as they are not suitable for a certain body type.

In SECAMB's own words, 10% of staff could either be too small or too tall to be adequately protected in the proposed newly converted vans,

Despite there being an option to maintain a mix of current and new vehicles and thereby protecting jobs, SECAMB originally decided to pursue a process of changing their whole fleet to a van-based conversion fleet which could have led to 10% of staff having to leave an already understaffed and overstretched service.

"Frontline ambulance clinicians and Paramedics are highly trained and qualified professionals. The investment in the training and development of 10% of staff could have been thrown away due to their body shape. There has never been a minimum or maximum height requirement to work in the ambulance service. Skills and professionalism have always been the criteria to work in this service.

“Furthermore, SECAMB did not consider how their proposals would have affected future recruitment policy nor the impact that such a change would have on their stated policy on promoting inclusivity and diversity in the workforce. The proposal also had the distinct possibility that long term experienced staff could have been forced out of the service for the bizarre reason that they are either too small or too tall.

“The GMB along with sister trade unions raised objections to this proposal and welcome the decision that the company have, for the time being, taken this bizarre and economically driven proposal off the table.

“The GMB will be seeking complete reassurance from SECAMB that neither body shape nor size will be a defining criteria for employment in the ambulance service.”

And bloody right too it’s a typical Tory ploy make the problem then blame the workers

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

GMB press release

Yet another example of... 'You couldn't make it up!'.

Frightening what this country is becoming under this shameless lot. Dangerous times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mrs D was referred by her GP for a ‘procedure’ about 3 weeks ago, got called last week for an appointment at the local hospital (Princess Royal) that was set for this morning. Turned up on the ward a bit early but somewhat amazingly was seen immediately and out within 30 mins. Incredibly efficient all round.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The article suggests that each of the German states is a separate organisational entity. There is no federal-level entity for healthcare delivery, only for policy.

Correct.

“Within Germany’s legal framework, the federal government has wide-ranging regulatory power over health care but is not directly involved in care delivery. ”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GMB press release

Yep. That fits the 'we don't know what we are doing anymore' narrative. Go back and watch 'The Day Today', 'Jam' and 'Brass Eye' and satire has now become reality.

I wish the consultants would grow some, though. Thay are all too quiet, when all's said and done. Busy, doing what they like? As a lad I knew 20 years ago said to me, smoking a big cigar, after his consultancy had been confirmed, 'I'm made, now'.

The thing about this below is how easily people will go along with anything. If the authority (white coat, whatever) supports it, we accept it - the person onthe front desk, the nurse practitioner, the doc...Johnson says the rules were not broken, Pavlov's people nod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJ0eZFSwXw

And of course we in the NHS aor HE system are all in different and weak unions. UCU is pathetic. GMB? Johnson will probably say 'are you boiler* makers? Then boil me a cup of tea' to rip-roaring laughter.

The people of this nation are at fault for being so weak and lazy.

*General, Municipal, Boilermakers' and Allied Trade Union (GMBATU). This was sometimes shortened to "GMB", which in 1987 became the official name of the union."

Gmbatu, Vuvavu!

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Please ask for help, and keep on asking. You may be entitled to carers allowance or attendance allowance which will ease the financial burden. Ask his GP surgery about a regular nurse visit. It is a pain but those who shout the loudest get the most help.

Thank you so much, Thunder Bolt. I have looked into claims that will give me a few extra quid. It's not a fortune but I'm making progress with it.

However, pretty soon I am making a very tough decision that I feel is best for everyone. Ultimately, I am not trained to look after a very ill man in his seventies. If anyone in my family has got a problem with me, try being in my shoes. Financially it is a very difficult decision but once we get something sorted out, I am sure things will turn out to be the right move. :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thank you so much, Thunder Bolt. I have looked into claims that will give me a few extra quid. It's not a fortune but I'm making progress with it.

However, pretty soon I am making a very tough decision that I feel is best for everyone. Ultimately, I am not trained to look after a very ill man in his seventies. If anyone in my family has got a problem with me, try being in my shoes. Financially it is a very difficult decision but once we get something sorted out, I am sure things will turn out to be the right move. :thumbsup:

..and that includes you…all the best

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yep. That fits the 'we don't know what we are doing anymore' narrative. Go back and watch 'The Day Today', 'Jam' and 'Brass Eye' and satire has now become reality.

I wish the consultants would grow some, though. Thay are all too quiet, when all's said and done. Busy, doing what they like? As a lad I knew 20 years ago said to me, smoking a big cigar, after his consultancy had been confirmed, 'I'm made, now'.

The thing about this below is how easily people will go along with anything. If the authority (white coat, whatever) supports it, we accept it - the person onthe front desk, the nurse practitioner, the doc...Johnson says the rules were not broken, Pavlov's people nod.

And of course we in the NHS aor HE system are all in different and weak unions. UCU is pathetic. GMB? Johnson will probably say 'are you boiler* makers? Then boil me a cup of tea' to rip-roaring laughter.

*General, Municipal, Boilermakers' and Allied Trade Union (GMBATU). This was sometimes shortened to "GMB", which in 1987 became the official name of the union."

Gmbatu, Vuvavu!

GMB Union are pretty strong in the ambulance service, must say I’m not impressed by the other health service unions.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Gmbatu, Vuvavu!

plenty of paper shuffling , clips board twirling , cost cutting ninnies draining the budget though no doubt.......the new vehicles have cost x amount , we can only afford y drivers on the current budget......duh..??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here