Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New UEFA financial sustainability regulations

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sorry if fixtures. Couldn't see it posted anywhere.

But this is a massive shake up.

"Uefa has brought in new financial regulations which will limit clubs' spending on wages, transfers and agents' fees to 70% of their revenue.

The new rules will come into force in June and clubs will have three years to implement them.

Uefa said "breaches will result in pre-defined financial penalties and sporting measures".

It is thought new reinforced punishments, including points deductions, demotion to lower-ranking competitions and potential exclusion from European football completely, will be introduced as part of the new regulations.

Clubs are expected to be allowed to spend 90% of their income in 2023-24, reducing to 80% in 2024-25 and 70% a year later."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60973786

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Edit: Misread

Ok read it too quickly... missed the part about transfer fees and agent fees.

Interesting, though I struggle to see how this is compatible with EU:s free market nonsense laws?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair play if they find a way to enforce it. Unfortunately Citeh, Chelski, Real M, PSG, Manchester Entitled and co. will have MUCH BIGGER lawyers.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Fair play if they find a way to enforce it. Unfortunately Citeh, Chelski, Real M, PSG, Manchester Entitled and co. will have MUCH BIGGER lawyers.

Unfortunately it’s not the “big” clubs that will have a problem with a wages to turnover ratio - they mostly have a large enough turnover to keep within a cap.

It’s mainly the clubs lower in the league, such as us, that will have the problem

Reactions: SAC

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunately it’s not the “big” clubs that will have a problem with a wages to turnover ratio - they mostly have a large enough turnover to keep within a cap.

It’s mainly the clubs lower in the league, such as us, that will have the problem

Indeed that was exactly what I was thinking. But apparently this includes transfers and agent fees as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is this just a rewording and rescoping of current rules? though if they stick to it seems sensible to explicitly limit wages to less than revenues.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
is this just a rewording and rescoping of current rules? though if they stick to it seems sensible to explicitly limit wages to less than revenues.

No idea what the current rules are, but Barca's wages were over 100% of their income when Messi left for PSG.

That's just not sustainable.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Chelsea/PSG/City will certainly struggle under these rules

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No idea what the current rules are, but Barca's wages were over 100% of their income when Messi left for PSG.

yeah, they shouldnt be though. currently outgoings supposed to be equal to revenue, over a few year period i think. all about enforcement, whatever the rules are.

SAC

May 21, 2014

It looks to be a good way of ensuring that small to medium sized clubs will never be able to compete with the big boys. The odd good season followed by the best players leaving as you can't afford to pay them enough to persuade them to stay.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I guess it all depends what you can call 'revenue'... inflated sponsorship deals, hospitality packages, Stadium naming rights etc...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The European Super League will be back on the cards in a few years when this starts being enforced.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
With Chelsea raiding us for our top talent and coach, it seems to me that FFP is utter bullshite and will never be adhered to anyway, as others have alluded too, the super rich clubs will throw layers at it and tie it in so many knots, it will never work.

So what I am saying is, the Premier League is not fair, and never will be fair, we are having a good season, and in times gone by, we may have been able to build year on year. However now it seems, we will eventually be picked apart, some transfers will not work for us, and golden hen will stop laying. I fear ultimately we are doomed to fail, it is kind of disheartening in way, someone tell me any different, is there a way to make the league fairer so the likes of Chelsea who already pick the best youth players, cant just come along and dismantle a team.

Is there a light at the end, we have come too far, to be slapped in the face, and told to get back in our place.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With Chelsea raiding us for our top talent and coach, it seems to me that FFP is utter bullshite and will never be adhered to anyway, as others have alluded too, the super rich clubs will throw layers at it and tie it in so many knots, it will never work.

So what I am saying is, the Premier League is not fair, and never will be fair, we are having a good season, and in times gone by, we may have been able to build year on year. However now it seems, we will eventually be picked apart, some transfers will not work for us, and golden hen will stop laying. I fear ultimately we are doomed to fail, it is kind of disheartening in way, someone tell me any different, is there a way to make the league fairer so the likes of Chelsea who already pick the best youth players, cant just come along and dismantle a team.

Is there a light at the end, we have come too far, to be slapped in the face, and told to get back in our place.
To be fair - Chelsea had been turning £30M profits before covid and were always pretty good at selling players so well within FFP which is why they can spend now - as well as the long contracts for amortisation (which everyone can do) - they’re not breaking any rules, at the moment

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
How do you think we attract Caicedo, Mac Allister, Buononotte, Mitoma etc .. ?

Yes it's gutting and corrupt the FFP BS, but we (the PL) attract top talent from around the world which is what makes it the best league in the world. Because it's the richest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here