Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] New Television

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If you want to watch ‘live’ tv via apps such as ITVX and All4 then they only work on Samsung TVs. The apps work on other TVs but not the Live TV part.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In the finest BG tradition, although many of us were already competitors for the techy question title, I want to ask about buying a new telly.

You see, I'm not going to the semi-final, but have decided I will get my new television before it rather than after.

My current one is very dull and uninspiring in picture. But for £150 I couldn't moan. Decent back up.

I don't need one that will make me a cup of tea in the morning. I just want one that has a very good quality picture and standard smart features like Amazon Video and that sort of stuff.

I've got Sky and BT Sport through Virgin. So I watch rugby and bat n ball.

Looks like they are not very expensive these days and I don't wish to spend too much. But proper HD (I think most of them are) would be good.

I think 43 inches would be fine (matron !) I have a 32 inch but I'd like something a little bigger. 50 inches would be okay. Any tips ?
LG make some decent ones at a good price . Many make the ‘which ‘ best buys but like all TV makes there’s a few not great ones even though it’s the same name .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for taking time everyone.

What do you think of this ?

Info: It's not in a very large room and only two watching it at most:

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've experienced a lot of (other people's) TVs and my one and only takeaway is that screen size HAS to have comparative electrics to back it up. There is nothing worse (except genocide, maybe) than firing up a nice-looking big ol' TV, then having to wait for minutes while the tv guide wheezes itself into existence, being unable to change channels or volume. This may say more about my choice of acquaintance, but I see a big screen tv and shudder.

I have a little (think 1980s) £100 Sony which is a dream.

Big and cheap is the way to hell.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for taking time everyone.

What do you think of this ?

Info: It's not in a very large room and only two watching it at most:

Excellent tv at a great price - we have the 2021 version at 43 inch. You'd be very pleased with your choice if you go for it I'm sure

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure where you are based, but one of the best things that you can do is pop into your local Richer Sounds store. They have very knowledgeable staff, if you go in at a quieter time they will spend a good amount of time explaining the differences between various aspects of the technology and steer you towards the better brands. You will also be able to compare different screens (and sound quality) side by side. Just don't be fooled by the fact the sceens are all set to 'shop display' mode, which is different to how you wil view the screen in your home. Ask them to change the screens to 'home' mode, when making side-by-side comparisons between 2 screens. Also ask to hear the difference between the in-built speakers and an appropriately-priced soundbar - I think that you will be amazed at the difference.

Hills of Hove are also good, if you are near to them. My personal preference is for the LG range of TVs (I have yet to see a poor one) but as others have said, there are plenty of options.
Can I also echo the Richer Sounds advice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At the size you suggest this is the Which best buy.

EFDE7C5F-AC3F-4C6D-AF56-621C7412120D.png

If you’re looking to pay much less than that:

24A70A23-0C2C-4428-B5F4-9CE64451C47C.png

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I echo the richer sounds advice. Sevenoaks sound and vision are also good. One on church road Hove. I bought my latest from there just after Christmas. I am a bit of a nerd on this and first new to for 10 years. I went for a large LG G2 . Yes it is expensive, but I won’t be buying another for a while hopefully. Sound is excellent and the picture amazing. They do a C2 which is only slightly behind it and probably the wiser choice cost and value for money wise. The only issue I have is as soon as you buy. The next best thing comes out. So I believe the c3 and G3 are imminet arrivals. I won’t second guess your budget, but I’d thoroughly recommend the LG Oled range.
Just taken the plunge on a CS, which I believe is basically the C1 with an updated processor rather than the full C2 but has the HDMI2.1 ports

We are upgrading from a LG55ub820v
Which must be 10 years old by now so expecting a significant improved picture and sound

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Spent around 50 mins in John Lewis Horsham and bought a new LG OLED TV - returned home and immediately double checked on www that their price was indeed the cheapest (Never knowingly undersold....) only to find straightaway that Richer Sounds was £125 cheaper. Rang JL and was told their long standing (& USP) price matching policy ended 6 weeks or so ago. So I cancelled my order - and guess what, I suffered a £45 cancellation fee. Still saved money though. But for me, John Lewis utterly shocking in their new sales policy.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Spent around 50 mins in John Lewis Horsham and bought a new LG OLED TV - returned home and immediately double checked on www that their price was indeed the cheapest (Never knowingly undersold....) only to find straightaway that Richer Sounds was £125 cheaper. Rang JL and was told their long standing (& USP) price matching policy ended 6 weeks or so ago. So I cancelled my order - and guess what, I suffered a £45 cancellation fee. Still saved money though. But for me, John Lewis utterly shocking in their new sales policy.
John Lewis give a 5 year free guarantee so I guess they build that into the price

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
That policy - Never knowingly undersold - ended a year ago. Aug 2022

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you're going to spend big on a TV surely you've got to back it up with a sound system? What's the point in having cinema style viewing with a tinny little sound?

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
A couple of years ago I bought a Samsung 'Frame' TV. It would not work with the Virgin V6 box. Virgin blamed Samsung and Samsung blamed Virgin. I ended up with a cheaper LG which is OK but doesn't do yellow at all well! Has anyone bought a Samsung recently who has a V6 box? Any problems or works OK? I've checked online and it seems to be a mixed bag of some do and some don't. I've always liked Samsung TV's but can't afford another costly error!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you're going to spend big on a TV surely you've got to back it up with a sound system? What's the point in having cinema style viewing with a tinny little sound?
When you have tinny little hearing, tinny little sound is fine as you can't hear the difference!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here