Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] National Meter Reading Day

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
You've both got a right result there then.

I managed to get a fix with Avro, last October I think it was, that would have been another 12 month fix. A few weeks later Avro went out of business and no more fixes were available that weren't silly money. So now stuck on the variable tariff with Octopus.

I was with a company called Green Energy or something. They went bust January 2021 and I got transferred to EDF. It took until September for the bills to be sorted out (EDF were trying to stiff me based on the previous suppliers estimated readings). As I'd moaned and moaned at them, they offered me a 3 year fix.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Martin Lewis suggested giving my gas & electric readings today.
I've been trying to log on to my Eon-Next account for over two & a half hours.
Keeps say 'Something went wrong'
Tried changing password with the same result.
Obviously loads of others trying to do the same.
What a waste of time!

Same here, but I tried again this morning and managed to submit readings.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have a smart meter transmitting my readings on an hourly basis to British Gas - so no action required from me or having to "pay" for someone to come round and read my meters for me [coz I'm too fecking lazy].

Thought I'd hop on to my BG account to see what my readings are - I keep a spreadsheet that calcs my bill so I can make sure that our figures match.

Greeted with this !

Capture.JPG

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
My existing tariff expires on the 17th of this month :(

What are people's thoughts on fixed vs variable tariffs? Usually, I would always look to fix - peace of mind knowing what I was paying each month. But given the extortionate prices, would a variable tariff be the better option, at least until the next hike in October?

The variable rate I'm being offered for renewal is a fair bit cheaper than the fixed-rate, but I guess that is probably the norm at the beginning of the term?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My existing tariff expires on the 17th of this month :(

What are people's thoughts on fixed vs variable tariffs? Usually, I would always look to fix - peace of mind knowing what I was paying each month. But given the extortionate prices, would a variable tariff be the better option, at least until the next hike in October?

The variable rate I'm being offered for renewal is a fair bit cheaper than the fixed-rate, but I guess that is probably the norm at the beginning of the term?

With every expert predicting that the cap will increase again in the autumn, any fixed rate deals currently on offer will certainly look to include that expected inflation into their calculations. Therefore currently fixed rates are probably best to be avoided and to consider again later on.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Seems the lady of the house submitted Ovo meter readings today over the phone and the lady at the other end of the phone was able to accept them as of yesterday. Given the publicity with Joe Public struggling to give readings yesterday maybe all the energy Co. will do likewise at least for a day or two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here