Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mudryk and his 8.5 years

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Winstanley must have burned the midnight oil unearthing such an unknown talent and attracting him to the club with buttons and yarn.
Gone from using Blooms analytical witchcraft, stats and other secret methods, to who do our competitors want.... hijack & just throw more cash.

Piss easy new job.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Potter, in an interview about the signing, said he had nothing to do with bringing the player to the club. The way he spoke, he has no input into who the club sign. Would this be normal? Surely he picks the team and had some input as to who Brighton signed during his time here.
I know the money from Chelsea will change Gpot's life forever, but really what is the point of working for these people in terms of personal development.

Chelsea were a joke under the Russians, just as bad now

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dull, duller, dullard alert from SSN today.

He might be on Five Live tonight with Chappers. If so, I'd stick my foot through your wireless and send Michael McIntyre the bill AND demand your TV licence fee back.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
They’ve also bought the new centre back Badiashile (sp?) on a 7.5 year deal. It’s their way of maximising their spending power, whilst staying within FFP. It’s not a fiddle, but potentially risky if they don’t adapt to the EPL.
So I might be being thick here, but does this not restrict their spending for the next 7-8 years worth of transfer windows?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I heard from a very reliable source on Saturday that the argie midfielder fernandez has just signed a new contract, despite only joining the club in January. Done to extend the contract to 8.5 years he said.

Suggests some serious financial issues to me.

Mind you, the Chelsea fan I was chatting to in Putney Bidge TK Max might have been shitting me I guess....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So I might be being thick here, but does this not restrict their spending for the next 7-8 years worth of transfer windows?
Not so much. If they’d signed him on a 4 year deal it would’ve impacted more. The big issue I guess is if it doesn’t work out and they sell him because as I understand it the remainder of his contract plus the fee they receive counts in that one year. Shades of Juventus.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have a gut feeling that it is all going to go terribly wrong for Mudryk and Chelsea. On the odd occasion that he does start games he plays within himself and just doesn't look interested to me.

After all he was all set for a move to Arsenal until Boelhy hijacked the deal. He quite obviously doesn't want to be at Chelsea.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You're not being thick at all. Whilst it may help them keep within FFP limits in the short-term, it'll catch up with them in 3-4 seasons time when they've got an accumulation of old transfers that are still amortising. And that's not even taken into account the fact that they're contractually committed to paying the players a very high wage for 8 years.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sounds like they've gambled their 3 year FFP allocation to get into the champions league, and messed up
Apart from amortisation. 8 year deals provide some protection from football inflation. I do think this is a strategy which could work, however surely the starting point should be

1 get rid of dead wood.
2 Improve youth recruitment
3 Sign top players on long term deals.

Not try and do everything at once.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
You're not being thick but no. It is a major logical flaw of the way finances are reported in relation to transfer budget.

If the logical aim is to break even in the transfer market, then Mudryk is essentially accounted for as an £8m signing every season for the next 8 years. Chelsea can make this up each year easily in casting off academy products who aren't going to make the grade.

Where it may be an issue is if he wants away in 3 seasons time as the accounts will show the fee received minus the fee remaining. If he is a flop, then they're taking a huge gamble on being able to claw that money back.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He was Chelsea’s only player who I worried when he got the ball, he ran Veltman a few times early on, a very talented player, it’s a shame that footballers have to live up to these insane price tags really, it prohibits young players from playing with the freedom of expression we used to see.

That being said all things considered, he plays for Chelsea so f**k em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here