Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Paris

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm leaving the good lady wife here in Sussex with the kids so I'm looking for a one bedroom flat in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. A couple of friends who already work in Paris have said I'm probably looking at 1500 Euros per month which is fine.

Nobody seems to have picked up on this. Are you actually splitting from your wife and kids (sorry if so) or have you been allowed to swan off to Paris long term while she looks after the kids?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've been in a room in Pigalle, it wasn't up to much. Just a bed and an on-suite.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Decided this summer that I need a new challenge. I've applied for and got a new job based in Paris.

So, I'm calling all NSCers who have had experience of living in France's capital city for advice. Although my employer is providing an English speaking relocation company to help with the move it's always best to get as much info as you can:

Where's the best place to get a flat? I've been warned off the 18th, 19th and 20th.

Eating is relatively cheap, but where do I find cheap beer?

I'm not planning on giving up my season ticket so what's the best way to commute every fortnight?

Merci.:thumbsup:

Nice to have another Albion fan heading over this way. HANG ON A MINUTE! Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

I've been living in the 13th arrondissement(Bibliothèque Fr.Mitterrand) for a while now. An earlier poster who talked about hefty admin was spot on. Luckily my girlfriend deals with most of this for me. I'm more the handy man. So get a French partner, if you haven't got one already.

I prefer south of the river, but some places like Oberkampf(for bars) and Nation are nice places to live. Try and stay clear of living in an area where you need to use the metro line 13. I always find that particular line an absolute nightmare. Try and avoid going too far north.

Currently apartment sitting in between Trinité and Blanche. Nice area. Within walking distance of Montmartre. Pigalle is a strange area. Not everyones cup of tea.

I use the Eurostar everytime i head back to London/Brighton. Flying might work out better for you if you're looking to go back to see your beloved Wednesday:lolol: on a regular basis.

For cheap beer head out during the standard happy hours. Some of these start as early as 3pm. A Scottish pub near Etienne Marcel metro springs to mind. Canada Bar(Rue Git-Le-Cœur) could also be worth a visit. Nice big plasma's for live sport, cheap beer etc.

Good luck :thumbsup: ....To you, not your football team.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Your rant at Brown at that match is still my personal highlight of our time at Withdean.

Why, thankyou very much.

I have never been one to resolve issues over a cup of tea, while some smarmy piece of shit justs enjoys twisting his utter failings into convincing you the difficulties of his job.

Both barrels...that's the way to get across to these people. A 'both barrels' tongue lashing that makes them go away and think about how useless they are...rather than thinking..."oh , yes...that's another mug that I have just blinded with trash speak".

Whilst you are undoubtedly the Alan Greenspan of NSC......I note you are often a little economical with the truth on the Albions finances. But hey...it makes you look good.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why, thankyou very much.

I have never been one to resolve issues over a cup of tea, while some smarmy piece of shit justs enjoys twisting his utter failings into convincing you the difficulties of his job.

Both barrels...that's the way to get across to these people. A 'both barrels' tongue lashing that makes them go away and think about how useless they are...rather than thinking..."oh , yes...that's another mug that I have just blinded with trash speak".

Whilst you are undoubtedly the Alan Greenspan of NSC......I note you are often a little economical with the truth on the Albions finances. But hey...it makes you look good.

Really, economical how? I don't always have the numbers to hand when making posts, but I have tried to be objective rather than emotional in my analysis.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Nobody seems to have picked up on this. Are you actually splitting from your wife and kids (sorry if so) or have you been allowed to swan off to Paris long term while she looks after the kids?

Oh no, still happily married and definitely staying with Mrs SouthCoastOwl.

Occasionally my job has meant that I've had to work away from home but in the UK. Paris isn't as commutable as say Bristol or Birmingham so I'm going to need a base over in France. Also when I say kids they're 21 and 23 so not exactly incapable of taking care of themselves although the younger is a budding Trebus.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Really, economical how? I don't always have the numbers to hand when making posts, but I have tried to be objective rather than emotional in my analysis.

Could I first of all ask....the wage bill for 2012/2013 is quoted as £20.9 million......is this correct..?

The wage bill for 2011/2012 is quoted in some quarters as £14.8 million...is this correct...?

Do you know if the 'one off' redundancy payments are included in the 2013 wages accounts...or are listed separately ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could I first of all ask....the wage bill for 2012/2013 is quoted as £20.9 million......is this correct..?

The wage bill for 2011/2012 is quoted in some quarters as £14.8 million...is this correct...?

Do you know if the 'one off' redundancy payments are included in the 2013 wages accounts...or are listed separately ?

The 2012/13 wage bill is £21,063,539
The 2011/12 wage bill is £14,682,093

There were no redundancy costs in the 2012/13 accounts, in the 2011/12 accounts there is a redundancy payment of £74,880 to your very best friend, Mr Ken Brown.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Have a look at Montparnasse. Some nice eateries and a bit bo-ho. It will also have its knockers (literally). But we have enjoyed it the couple of times we have stayed there. Some of us always head out to Paris for Arc weekend starting with lunch in the main restaurant at St.Cloud races on the Friday. Feel free to stop by and say hello (We are away to Watford that weekend I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here