Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] More Garth Crooks wisdom

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's not though, is he? It's only a 'pity' that the team didn't 'knock Brighton out of the park' if you're a Chelsea fan.

Otherwise it's merely 'strange', 'baffling' or... just the way football goes sometimes – given that any team can beat any other team ON THEIR DAY.

Crooks is a numpty stealing a living with his 'team of the week' guff.

And no, I'm not 'triggered' by him, I just find his take on a lot of Brighton-related matters very strange. And at odds with most other 'pundits' out there. I wouldn't say he knows 'nothing', either. Because he's not exactly backwards in coming forwards about how much he DOES (claim to) know.
So even by your metric it's strange and/or baffling that current holders of the Champions League Chelsea, with spending power greater that most third world countries, didn't beat Brighton?

It's just not really the case that on their day any team can win, is it?

Sure we can beat 10 man City - after they'd won the league, a few days before the Champions League final (whoops, we're not supposed to mention the caveats, are we)

Of course Southampton can cling onto a point, at the weekend, now that City have won the league again.

The point is the previous 12 City games to get them there, nobody was beating them on their day, or any other day.

Chelsea dropped 4 points against us.

Crooks with his Spursy Specs on is saying whaa - whaa - whaa, it's not fair Chelsea played badly against Brighton but played well v Spurs.

and there's something in that.

We could and probably should be saying that's because Spurs are shite - as Crooks won't.
Not clutching our pearls because a Spurs fan said 'Chelsea are inconsistent'.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Jermaine Jenas was just as bad on MOTD2 last night. Questioned why we don't start Welbeck and Lamptey and then admitted both had been injured and Graham Potter was managing their time "extremely well"

Which is it then JJ? Run them into the ground or not? Genuinely hopeless as a pundit or co comms on a match.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I came to the conclusion years ago that he was an irrelevant pundit who steals a living. The same applies to John Barnes. If it still gripes you then don't click on the link and you won't be feeling any worse for it. For what it's worth I have also started to shy away from Lawro's predictions too.

Likewise, I only clock it when its on here . . . but there are millions who need opinions, Sun/Mail readers for example, gives them an opinion and something to rant about. :rolleyes:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Jermaine Jenas was just as bad on MOTD2 last night. Questioned why we don't start Welbeck and Lamptey and then admitted both had been injured and Graham Potter was managing their time "extremely well"

Which is it then JJ? Run them into the ground or not? Genuinely hopeless as a pundit or co comms on a match.

Like most pundits, too desperate to come across as a know it all with the answers to everything. Still preferable to Micah Richards though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who cares.

Judging by ALL the threads on here, specific to Crooks, I'll hazard a guess there are a fair few posters who care a lot and are desperate to be offended by Garth.

Unless of course it's just the same posters over and over again.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So even by your metric it's strange and/or baffling that current holders of the Champions League Chelsea, with spending power greater that most third world countries, didn't beat Brighton?

Sure we can beat 10 man City - after they'd won the league, a few days before the Champions League final (whoops, we're not supposed to mention the caveats, are we)

Of course Southampton can cling onto a point, at the weekend, now that City have won the league again.

The point is the previous 12 City games to get them there, nobody was beating them on their day, or any other day.

Crooks with his Spursy Specs on is saying whaa - whaa - whaa, it's not fair Chelsea played badly against Brighton but played well v Spurs.

We could and probably should be saying that's because Spurs are shite - as Crooks won't.

These are 180 words, or 1009 characters if you prefer to see it that way.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yes.

You're using the example of Man City, who have been beaten by 'shite' Spurs and below-Brighton-in-the-league Crystal Palace this season. Yeah – them. Like I said, any team can beat any other on their day. It might not happen often, but it DOES happen.

As for Chelsea, they've been going through a crappy run of form, so to many it wouldn't be strange, baffling or unexpected. I went into the game thinking a draw was a big possibility, so :shrug:

I'm not saying Crooks was wrong to say Chelsea SHOULD have beaten Brighton – clearly they should have done, if you look at both teams in isolation. But he didn't say that. He stated it was a 'pity' they didn't; that is just wrong for someone who is writing for that 'beacon of objectivity', the BBC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes.

You're using the example of Man City, who have been beaten by 'shite' Spurs and below-Brighton-in-the-league Crystal Palace this season. Yeah – them. Like I said, any team can beat any other on their day. It might not happen often, but it DOES happen.

As for Chelsea, they've been going through a crappy run of form, so to many it wouldn't be strange, baffling or unexpected. I went into the game thinking a draw was a big possibility, so :shrug:

I'm not saying Crooks was wrong to say Chelsea SHOULD have beaten Brighton – clearly they should have done, if you look at both teams in isolation. But he didn't say that. He stated it was a 'pity' they didn't; that is just wrong for someone who is writing for that 'beacon of objectivity', the BBC.

It's news to me that a puff piece who's actual remit is to induce comment is also deemed to be a beacon of objectivity?

It's not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Garth is stealing a living. The amount of times the Albion have been "knocked out of the park" under Potter can be counted on the fingers of one finger.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surprise surprise - Dan Burn moves to Newcastle and is suddenly in Garth Crooks' Team of the Week. That in itself, based on Burn's performance, is fair enough, but the egregious wafflepuffin has the nerve to claim "He was a player who always caught my eye when he played for Brighton."

Yeh, right ..................

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Surprise surprise - Dan Burn moves to Newcastle and is suddenly in Garth Crooks' Team of the Week. That in itself, based on Burn's performance, is fair enough, but the egregious wafflepuffin has the nerve to claim "He was a player who always caught my eye when he played for Brighton."

Yup. First time he’d heard of him was when he read Alan Shearer’s MoM tweet to BDB. Swivel eyed idiot.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Don't forget Newcastle are a bigger team than lickle ol' Brighton ???

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be fair its far easier to notice an excellent defender playing for Newcastle than one playing for Brighton. Up there they would stand out whilst down here they can get lost in the crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here