Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Me, Bobby and Derby: James Wilson on settling in with Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
James Wilson was four-years-old when Bobby Zamora made his Albion debut.
"I won't mention that," joked the Manchester United starlet ahead of his away debut for the Seagulls at Derby County tomorrow.
But Wilson is happy to wax lyrical about Albion legend Zamora becoming a father figure in the early stages of his temporary switch from Old Trafford to the Amex.
Chris Hughton paired them together against Charlton on Saturday for the first time since Albion beat off competition from 20 clubs, including Derby, to land Wilson at the end of the loan transfer window.
The effect was devastating. Wilson, 20 last week, brought Albion back into the game with a brilliant solo goal.
Zamora, 35 next month, added his fifth in eight outings and Tomer Hemed came off the bench to cap an amazing recovery which means Albion head to the iPro Stadium two points clear at the top of the Championship from Middlesbrough and four clear of their hosts.
It also left Wilson licking his lips at the prospect of teaming up a lot more with Zamora during his stay on the South Coast.
He told The Argus: "Me and Bobby have got a good understanding already. We showed that.
"On the training pitch as well we've trained together for a few days now. We can see that we've got a partnership there.
"He's a great pro, an experienced pro, especially to have him in the dressing room as well as behind you when he is shouting instructions at you, where to go. He's a great player to have around.
"He talks a lot. You can't really see much of the game when you are pressing the defence but Bobby was behind me most of the time picking up the deep-lying midfielder and I was just left to close down the centre-backs.
"He talked to me in a good way and we managed to get the win in the end. Hopefully we can get him to the end of the season and get him a promotion."
Albion fans would be advised to join the throng that support Manchester United from afar for the rest of the season.
Wilson was signed on a youth loan which gives United the right of recall from the end of December.
Louis van Gaal is not currently blessed with a wealth of attacking options and the pressure on him is mounting after United's Champions League exit this week.
The single-minded Dutchman is not, however, the type to bow to supporters, some of whom expressed their displeasure that Wilson was allowed to leave.
If Wilson was going to be in van Gaal's first team plans this season he would surely not have approved the nature of the deal with Albion.
Unless circumstances change, the Seagulls will have Wilson's undivided attention for the rest of their promotion push.
"Obviously I want to do well here but the main thing is to go back and prove myself in the United first team," he said.
"For now, while I'm here, my full focus is on Brighton. Hopefully I can do it week in, week out and score more goals."
Starting with the triple test for Albion against Derby, QPR on Tuesday and Middlesbrough a week tomorrow and a return for Wilson to territory closer to his Stoke roots.
"It's three tough games," he said. "In such a short space of time as well. I've got a bit of experience playing within days of each other, especially with the youth team and a little bit last year with the (United) first team.
"I'm going to try to give my best to the squad and hopefully we can get through a busy period over Christmas and we are still on top on New Year's Day.
"It was nice to have thew first two games at the Amex (Birmingham and Charlton). It's a great stadium. It's a good experience to play there.
"It's more close to home now. Derby is quite close to back where I come from, Stoke, so everyone (family and friends) will be able to get to this game at least."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here