Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Man City accused of breaking EPL financial rules

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
They won numerous trophies and points you strip cheats of medals in other sports so I dont see why football should be any different. They probably thought it was worth it as a fine and a few points compared to all the success was worth it. So throw them into the conference, massive fine that strips away all their PL players and send that cvnt Pep to the tower. Fvck man city.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No point in stripping titles IMO. What are you going to do, award them to the runners up ? It'll feel utterly meaningless. Like revising the medal placements in the Olympics years later when lying cheating scum like Russia are proven to have cheated. The moments gone. Its forever spoiled.

But for this very reason, if found guilty, I hope Man City get absolutely SHREDDED by the independent commission. Never mind stripping titles. Just do a Rangers on them, and send them down to the noddy leagues. It would be so richly deserved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pep seems pretty cocksure of everything.
He's been briefed. The owners are in full-on Russian bullshit mode (deny, deny, deny), so he has to toe the party line for now. United front and all that.

Personally, I don't think the EPL would have hung their balls out this far unless they had some pretty damning evidence to take them down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does this have any impact on taxes? I mean one of the claims is secretly paying employees more from from sources other than those reported. Does that mean they haven't been paying tax on that, or is it possible all the tax requirements have been paid, it's just the financial reports provided to whichever footballing bod reviews FFP?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does this have any impact on taxes? I mean one of the claims is secretly paying employees more from from sources other than those reported. Does that mean they haven't been paying tax on that, or is it possible all the tax requirements have been, it's just the financial reports provided to whichever footballing bod reviews FFP?
Yes.

Any employee paid partly elsewhere where that element was not subjected to PAYE and NIC, is tax evasion. The Mancini and player payment arrangements may be of interest to HMRC.

There’s an interesting comment online that in one accounting year ManC managed to slash costs, despite it being post signing another batch of world class players.

There’s an expert here on complex PAYE cases @NooBHA .

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bribery, corruption and breaking rules is an everyday way of life for Arabs. That's the way they do things.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Bribery, corruption and breaking rules is an everyday way of life for Arabs. That's the way they do things.
And, (not for tbe first time on here), I ask that you replace the word 'Arabs' with 'Jews' or 'Blacks' and see how that looks.

People can be corrupt. Nations can be corrupt (few more corrupt than our own over tbe course of history). Governments can be corrupt. Races are not. And to think so is to be racist.

Edit: 'Arab' is not always considered a race per se. But my point stands.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It’s not personal or about you, I’m referring to baseless internet stuff. I’m interested in football finance and ownership.
I honestly didn’t take it as such (why would I? 🤷‍♂️) And I am interested too in football finance and ownership hence me posting on this thread in the first place and mentioning Qatar funding.

I said in my first post on this thread that Qatar were rumoured to be interested in purchasing PL clubs, including a rumour to have an interest in Spurs etc and you then quoted my post saying you couldnt find any reliable sources to support that so I supplied you with some (ie eg Atlantic, Bloomberg, 90mins, Reuters) I’ll let others judge whether these are reliable media links for their own peace of mind but for me they are better than tabloid rubbish or tweets.

Qatar money will likely come into the PL at some point IMHO whether under the guise of the QSI or the QIA (or some other especially created consortium) since the State of Qatar is determined by their own admission to diversify State investments into global level football - and my point of mentioning them is because concurrent with Qatar’s interest in the PL, Man United, Liverpool and maybe Spurs have been publicly declared by their current owners that they are wholly or partly for sale. I think Qatar funding would be problematic (not least because of the sportswashing angle) but in relation to the extreme difficulty there would be in tracing sources of sponsorship and unraveling the financial dealings and internal relationships of a QIA linked consortium - which would be needed to ascertain whether there is compliance with UEFA fair play or PL financial regulations in the event irregularities were suspected - It’s taken a four year investigation by the PL into Citeh’s finances just to bring the charges - do we honestly think the QIA or QSI would be any more open with their finances than the CFG?

I’ll await the Citeh’s army of expensive Lawyers to exhaust their appeals before holding out any hope for this one - a fine is meaningless for deep pocket defendants - it would have to be points deducted/relegation in the least but I would be surprised if any appeals were concluded before the end of this season.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not worth a separate thread but Qatar Investment Authority apparently putting in a bid on Friday (distinct from the PSG funders)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Further to my post yesterday and Saturday (which is beginning to feel like I’m talking to myself 😂) - UEFA has been asked to block the Qatar bid - Qatar’s ownership of PSG and the difficulties of unravelling the source of funding for these Qatar consortiums and the twisted links between QIA and its subsidiaries like QSI etc

“The FairSquare letter states: “A basic study of Qatar’s political and economic system amply demonstrates the impossibility of any Qatari consortium proving itself independent of state influence, and thus separate from the ownership of PSG.”

I have to say that I agree and it’s about time the financial rules of UEFA and the FA were upheld for Big 6 clubs with the same scrutiny that lesser clubs are held too surely…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here