Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Macbook Pro won't turn on

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
On an unrelated, but connected note - just had an update from Windows. 'Your computer is not able to upgrade to Windows 11, and support for Windows 10 will cease October 2025 - suggest you get a new computer'.

It's all a bit of a con isn't it.
It's about security. If you use it for work or have files that are confidential then it's probably quite important that you're able to keep up with security updates. If not, you'll still be able to do everything you can currently do on your computer. It's just that your computer isn't good enough to run the new operating system. Windows 10 will still capably work, you just won't get any new features.

By October 2025 we will be 4 years from the general release of Windows 11 and most laptops/computers bought after 2015 should be able to support an upgrade to Windows 11. There's got to be a point where developers ditch older systems that can't run new technology so that the majority of users can have access to better functionality that the progression of technology provides. Otherwise, everyone is just stuck with outdated tech.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's about security. If you use it for work or have files that are confidential then it's probably quite important that you're able to keep up with security updates. If not, you'll still be able to do everything you can currently do on your computer. It's just that your computer isn't good enough to run the new operating system. Windows 10 will still capably work, you just won't get any new features.

By October 2025 we will be 4 years from the general release of Windows 11 and most laptops/computers bought after 2015 should be able to support an upgrade to Windows 11. There's got to be a point where developers ditch older systems that can't run new technology so that the majority of users can have access to better functionality that the progression of technology provides. Otherwise, everyone is just stuck with outdated tech.
Thanks for all the info. Reassuring.

But it is still galling to me that because I make things last (reduce / reuse / recycle - as we are meant to do), I end up suffering a bit. It all seems to be based around 'more more more' and 'newer newer newer' doesn't it.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Thanks for all the info. Reassuring.

But it is still galling to me that because I make things last (reduce / reuse / recycle - as we are meant to do), I end up suffering a bit. It all seems to be based around 'more more more' and 'newer newer newer' doesn't it.
Yeah to an extent I agree. I think (partly down to the EU) there is a really strong trend of making things in tech less disposable now - the Right to Repair laws introduced in the EU and UK have made a huge change to how big tech companies have to approach new production so it's definitely less "more, more, more" and "new, new, new" than it was five years ago.

On the other hand, technology is moving forward at a far more rapid pace than it ever has before. The new M4 chip in the new iPad Pro is REMARKABLE. We are also on the cusp of an AI revolution that will mean things can progress at an even more rapid pace (this should be seen as a good thing - the application of AI is far more widespread and interesting than being able to write some copy in 10 seconds - Semi-Automated Offsides for example) and the hardware needs to be able to keep up with those improvements and developments for the benefits to be seen.

Personally, I don't think we're actually far away from hardware as we know it (and the issue of making things last) being pointless, everything will be cloud-based when the world finally catches up with the technology available.

But back to your point, if you're happy with how you use your PC now, nothing will change next October. If you want to improve part of your experience, you may find issue.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've bought a new machine as she needs it now for her exam submissions and for ease of finishing coursework. The 10 days for the repair to happen was just shockingly badly timed. As it's new i guess i can't claim on insurance as it's not a repair for damage.
When my daughter destroyed her mac book by pouring liquid all over it (bottle of perfume) she got a new one and restored from her external hard drive backup. The backup recovery resulted in zn identically configured machine. Screen colours, icons, apps, favourites, all the settings etc.
Does she backup daily (or continually) to an external hard drive?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
On an unrelated, but connected note - just had an update from Windows. 'Your computer is not able to upgrade to Windows 11, and support for Windows 10 will cease October 2025 - suggest you get a new computer'.

It's all a bit of a con isn't it.
My windows 10 machine has been unable to install OS updates since I got it (secondhand from a friend) 2 years ago. The OS version is over 3 years old. It runs perfectly well despite being at least 4 OS updates out of date.

boik

Can't you just cancel the DD ?
That's what we did, but now have a email from them saying the payment has been missed. I'd like to do it properly, but by eck Apple are so rigid in their "You must do everything our way and no other way". Glad to be rid of them and this just confirms why I don't get on with their philosophy. Every other password I've had to reset has been simple.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's what we did, but now have a email from them saying the payment has been missed. I'd like to do it properly, but by eck Apple are so rigid in their "You must do everything our way and no other way". Glad to be rid of them and this just confirms why I don't get on with their philosophy. Every other password I've had to reset has been simple.

If the money is no longer coming out of your account, I'd suggest that anything else they want to do is their problem, not yours :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's got to be a point where developers ditch older systems that can't run new technology so that the majority of users can have access to better functionality that the progression of technology provides. Otherwise, everyone is just stuck with outdated tech.

But suppose I like being stuck with outdated Tech

angry-child-crossed-arm-19292196.jpg

:wink:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
But suppose I like being stuck with outdated Tech

angry-child-crossed-arm-19292196.jpg

:wink:
Feel like this is the NSC equivalent of Janet Street-Porter asking me "Why do you hate pensioners?" 😂

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that you are anything like JSP or that I share anything with Mr Sunak.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
On the other hand, technology is moving forward at a far more rapid pace than it ever has before. The new M4 chip in the new iPad Pro is REMARKABLE. We are also on the cusp of an AI revolution that will mean things can progress at an even more rapid pace (this should be seen as a good thing - the application of AI is far more widespread and interesting than being able to write some copy in 10 seconds - Semi-Automated Offsides for example) and the hardware needs to be able to keep up with those improvements and developments for the benefits to be seen.

In terms of computers, I would somewhat disagree that technology is moving forward at a faster pace than ever. Back in the 90s, they were releasing faster CPUs and larger storage options at a ridiculous pace. If you hadn't updated your computer for a couple of years, it would struggle to run a lot of the latest software.

These days, you can have a laptop which is 7-8 years old and it's still perfectly useable. Unless you're a hardcore gamer, the hardware in your laptop should be fine for a long time. It's similar with phones, now that the rapid changes in smartphones seem to have come to an end and each release isn't much of an improvement from the previous year.

As you say though, the online nature of things is where the rapid changes are still happening. That's the real security issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here