Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Luton trains

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
New Milton via Southampton to Brighton on a Saturday=just
Brighton to New Milton via Southampton on a Saturday = possible/maybe/if lucky.
New Milton to Brighton via Southampton, midweek= Just
Brighton to New Milton via Southampton, midweek = forget about it, not a chance
So, Saturdays =train (and hope to get home)
Midweek = Car , nice cheaper green option 😂😂😂

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Challenge? That’s an understatement. I don’t know who is responsible for ‘train management’ regarding the Southampton/Brighton service but it’s about time they were a bit more pro-active and a damn sight less blasé about their performance. I refer them to this (if they read NSC!) :

1. On Saturdays I will catch the train from Southampton to Brighton to watch the Albion. The train will be made up with four carriages. Bearing in mind it’s a Saturday the train will provide transport for, not only football fans, but day trippers, hen/stag parties, people en route to Gatwick Airport and so on. By the time this train reaches Chichester it will be standing room only. From Worthing it will be rammed and many will not be able to board. Logical solution? Put on extra carriages - is it that difficult?

2. The number of times I have not been able to board the Southampton bound train on a Saturday evening because of overcrowding is getting beyond a joke. The reason being that many of the passengers get off at most of the stations between Brighton and Worthing. Why not introduce a non-stop service to Worthing to allow those going further to be able to travel on the service without being held back?

See it! Say it! F***ing sort it! :angry:
Since it appears I’ve been summoned. I believe I have explained in separate threads, why a service of 8 carriages cannot be ran to Southampton, it’s something that has been looked at multiple times, and there isn’t a solution to it, unless another platform is built at Southampton and extra stock is made available. 1 piece of good news is there will be 30 new units for GTR and more good news however is on the horizon, as the issues with the West Coastway are being resolved and are out for consultation, it will mean 2 extra Littlehampton to Brighton services an hour on Monday to Saturday. This timetable will allow strengthening on this line, as it won’t have other operators on the line to restrict carriage lengths (which it currently does). I think there is some idea on this forum that people don’t give a shit and are trying to screw the football club and it’s fans over, when in reality there are people who are working hard every day to make sure there is a train service to Falmer with the tools and resources that they have available. I would love to see some of the posters on here give it a go, not in a rude way, just the fact that I don’t think people on here realise how many different elements and variables go into making the trains run on time.

Last edited:

el punal

Since it appears I’ve been summoned. I believe I have explained in separate threads, why a service of 8 carriages cannot be ran to Southampton, it’s something that has been looked at multiple times, and there isn’t a solution to it, unless another platform is built at Southampton and extra stock is made available. 1 piece of good news is there will be 30 new units for GTR and more good news however is on the horizon, as the issues with the West Coastway are being resolved and are out for consultation, it will mean 2 extra Littlehampton to Brighton services an hour on Monday to Saturday. This timetable will allow strengthening on this line, as it won’t have other operators on the line to restrict carriage lengths (which it currently does). I think there is some idea on this forum that people don’t give a shit and are trying to screw the football club and it’s fans over, when in reality there are people who are working hard every day to make sure there is a train service to Falmer with the tools and resources that they have available. I would love to see some of the posters on here give it a go, not in a rude way, just the fact that I don’t think people on here realise how many different elements and variables go into making the trains run on time.
Thanks for that explanation, and I’m really grateful for it. But, why is it on several occasions (when we have played Southampton and Bournemouth at the Amex) 8 carriage trains are in use, and, starting at Southampton?

Unfortunately I do believe that train companies are their own worst enemies when it comes to communication, or lack of it. Several times I have asked staff about long standing issues (relating to my post) which have been answered with little or no useful information. This then leads to frustration and anger on the part of passengers rather than an acceptance and some degree of understanding of the situation.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for that explanation, and I’m really grateful for it. But, why is it on several occasions (when we have played Southampton and Bournemouth at the Amex) 8 carriage trains are in use, and, starting at Southampton?

Unfortunately I do believe that train companies are their own worst enemies when it comes to communication, or lack of it. Several times I have asked staff about long standing issues (relating to my post) which have been answered with little or no useful information. This then leads to frustration and anger on the part of passengers rather than an acceptance and some degree of understanding of the situation.
You can do it on the day under control arrangements, but only if certain circumstances are right, I think possibly they force it when we play Southampton, i don’t think its been done for a good while now.

Most people even in the industry don’t really understand what goes on in the Train Planning Unit, Scotrail did a good piece on it explaining it.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
5 minute job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here