Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Los Angeles Hotels - Advice

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
So nobody specifically in this thread is planning on doing this, and regardless, you don't care, yet you post a negative comment in here slating anyone who chooses to do these activities.

Good work.

wrench_tool.png
Yes, that's correct. It is something that a lot of people do, so I'm interested in why they do this. I'm guessing it's the same people who watch x factor, and the like.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Just back from 10 days in CA. Disneyland for 3 days (11 yo and 8 yo) - they loved it (of course). 2 days at Universal (really not worth the effort until Harry Potter is open next year). Up the coast to SFO....must go to Solvang, Hearst Castle, Carmel/Monterey and drive up the PCH all the way. SF MUCH better than LA in terms of things to see and do.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Just back from 10 days in CA. Disneyland for 3 days (11 yo and 8 yo) - they loved it (of course). 2 days at Universal (really not worth the effort until Harry Potter is open next year). Up the coast to SFO....must go to Solvang, Hearst Castle, Carmel/Monterey and drive up the PCH all the way. SF MUCH better than LA in terms of things to see and do.

Your trip sounds great!
We're starting in LA, down to San Diego, east to Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, west to Vegas, Bishop, Yosemite, San Fran then south all the way back down to LA via the PCH.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Rock on SP....you'll go from summer to spring to deathly hot to summer to spring and maybe a bit of autumn. Go to Suasalito for brekkie and Muir Woods. Not sure if vino is your thing but Chateau St Jean and Ledsen in Sonoma are lovely on a nice summers day (35 miles over the GG Bridge). SF - Irish Coffee @ Buena Vista Cafe (where Tram is turned around). Lunch @ Boudin on Fishermans Wharf. PCH is a ton of fun......one incredible view after the next - 17 mile drive is a must. If Beer is your thing, nothing better than CA. FirestoneWalker in Paso Robles, Lagunitas in Petaluma, Anchor & 21st Amendment in SFO. Jealous - ENJOY.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Rock on SP....you'll go from summer to spring to deathly hot to summer to spring and maybe a bit of autumn. Go to Suasalito for brekkie and Muir Woods. Not sure if vino is your thing but Chateau St Jean and Ledsen in Sonoma are lovely on a nice summers day (35 miles over the GG Bridge). SF - Irish Coffee @ Buena Vista Cafe (where Tram is turned around). Lunch @ Boudin on Fishermans Wharf. PCH is a ton of fun......one incredible view after the next - 17 mile drive is a must. If Beer is your thing, nothing better than CA. FirestoneWalker in Paso Robles, Lagunitas in Petaluma, Anchor & 21st Amendment in SFO. Jealous - ENJOY.

Cheers!
Will have a Google of the above mentioned places.

One thing I can't wait for is this San Diego Burrito I've recently heard about..
:banana: :eek: :banana:

tabe-bbq-san-diego-ca-omg-burrito-610x407.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
PCH from San Fran to LA is bloody brilliant, don't rush it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Any LA hotel recommendations from fellow NSC'ers?

Looking at Venice Beach at the moment as it seems to be the starting point for most LA tours and busses etc.

Cheers!

I stayed in the Cadillac Hotel on Venice Beach, although that was 12 years ago. At the time is was a cheap but pretty cool hotel. Might be worth a look. Location wise it was fine, although I did have a car rather than public transport.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
We stayed in a hotel at Marine Del Ray a couple of years ago. You can then walk to Venice Beach, 10-15 minutes, and then along to Santa Monica Beach/ Pier.

That's what we did

Driving the PCH was one of the best experiences of my life, we stopped off at Santa Barbara on the way down and stayed the night in a hotel at San Oblispo or something like that

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
PCH from San Fran to LA is bloody brilliant, don't rush it

Fully agree. Cycled once from Vancouver to LA, 2000 miles, over 6 weeks with tent and stuff, so certainly did not rush it. Big Sur was as good as anything on the way. Hearst Castle, as mentioned, is on route. Thing is there are fantastic trips to be made all over the place. Lucky to have a brother over there so many excuses for trips but I prefer just the 2 days in LA before getting out. Watts Towers was Interesting. Have a great time SP.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It is all about Santa Monica, I stayed in the Santa Monica Motel right on main Street, close to Venice beach and downtown Santa Monica. Really close to the beach (2 blocks) loads of decent bars and restaurants within half a mile. Go and do the tourist things in central LA in the day then retire to somewhere that isn't ****ing awful in the evening. Get out of LA as much as possible though, it really is pretty shit unless you are particularly star struck/obesessed by movies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is all about Santa Monica, I stayed in the Santa Monica Motel right on main Street, close to Venice beach and downtown Santa Monica. Really close to the beach (2 blocks) loads of decent bars and restaurants within half a mile. Go and do the tourist things in central LA in the day then retire to somewhere that isn't ****ing awful in the evening. Get out of LA as much as possible though, it really is pretty shit unless you are particularly star struck/obesessed by movies.

Santa Monica is ace. Totally agree LA is a bit of a dump, really, definitely better off staying somewhere else. We stayed half way down the coast towards San Diego in a rented beachside house. Very close to PCH so easy to get anywhere, fabulous beaches etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here