Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewes FC Documentary

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Haven’t watched it yet but presume they make big the equality of wages between men and ladies. Do they explain how they manage to attract the better male players given the vast wage differentials in men and women’s football salaries outside of Lewes. From what I’ve seen a number of the men travel down from London to play and common sense tells me they don’t do it for the love of Lewes or Lewes FC.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Haven’t watched it yet but presume they make big the equality of wages between men and ladies. Do they explain how they manage to attract the better male players given the vast wage differentials in men and women’s football salaries outside of Lewes. From what I’ve seen a number of the men travel down from London to play and common sense tells me they don’t do it for the love of Lewes or Lewes FC.

Their women team are playing at a higher level then the men in comparative terms don’t they ? And often get bigger crowds

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
Only worth watching if you want to try & change the world. Personally I’m more interested in football. Each to their own

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Their women team are playing at a higher level then the men in comparative terms don’t they ? And often get bigger crowds

Interesting. I think the men often get around 800 at about £12

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
It’s being shown at the Depot cinema (which is a super place if you haven’t been) in Lewes - right by the station -next Tuesday.

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
Often they don’t get bigger crowds than the men. Lots of children at the womens games (not a bad thing) but under 16’s get in free

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Men’s crowds usually larger as far as I know. The ‘equality’ thing is laudable (essentially the playing budgets for the teams are the same as I understand it, so could assume player wages are similar) but the difference in tiers kind of undermines it a bit in my view (or leaves it open to argue that Women’s Championship is currently on a par with Tier 7 I suppose). If the clubs linked to men’s teams in the Women’s Championship put (for them) a relatively small chunk more money into their women’s teams, team like Lewes would find it incredibly difficult to compete.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I wonder if it'll be also be picked up on that the men play much lower down the pyramid than the women, which makes it somewhat easier to pay both genders equally...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They're here for Tony Russell at the moment (the ones who are here that is; I'm hoping for a few signings before the Wingate match cause we're a little threadbare as it stands). And the women's team is responsible for the new pitch that has been laid over the summer.

One way they attract players from London is training up there. Plus, almost all IP away matches are either around the M25 or into Essex.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Only worth watching if you want to try & change the world. Personally I’m more interested in football. Each to their own

Funnily enough that is pretty much what the father of a former player of theirs said about the place to me. It was a political movement and not a football club.

No idea myself but can believe it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Funnily enough that is pretty much what the father of a former player of theirs said about the place to me. It was a political movement and not a football club.

No idea myself but can believe it.

Really? It seems to be working. We've got high crowds, excellent football last year, sold a player to a championship club( who decided to stay rather than join Spurs) have an amazing new pitch at a ground that's regarded as being one of the nicest in the country and the women's team finished 20th in the country.
I think a lot of non league clubs would be ecstatic

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Really? It seems to be working. We've got high crowds, excellent football last year, sold a player to a championship club( who decided to stay rather than join Spurs) have an amazing new pitch at a ground that's regarded as being one of the nicest in the country and the women's team finished 20th in the country.

As I said I've no idea myself. Going on what I've witnessed and what I've been told.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Indeed.
Some odd reactions to an obviously (to me) good news story. Why are some so keen to try and undermine the achevements of Lewes?
Two clubs, up the road from each other, playing at different levels but both well run, both ground breaking in ther own ways and both doing very well in their own ways.

Surely we should be proud of what is being achieved in football in Sussex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here