Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] League Two clubs vote to end season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There wasn’t a vote ...so not quite over...an indication that it will be at yet another meeting...according to interview with Forest Green owner on R5 earlier...and it wasn’t unanimous that it would be...although a clear majority have said so

The cost of player testing, relative to their tiny club incomes, seemed to be the clincher (in that 5live article). Did they say it would’ve been £180k or £400k per club.

I wonder what the hell they’ll do about an August start still in the middle of the pandemic?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The cost of player testing, relative to their tiny club incomes, seemed to be the clincher (in that 5live article). Did they say it would’ve been £180k or £400k per club.

I wonder what the hell they’ll do about an August start still in the middle of the pandemic?

That’s where I got confused because I could have sworn it was 180k or something like that with the Forest Green owner and then later when they interviewed someone who I think was the Port Vale owner it jumped to 400k

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would it be inappropriate to say that, if we stay up, oo - look at that! Did you see that? Big......cloudy thing. Is it dinner time? Hello, John, got a new motor? Didn't you kill my brother? When I hear Demis Roussos I come over all weak. Love a bit of Demis Roussos.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s where I got confused because I could have sworn it was 180k or something like that with the Forest Green owner and then later when they interviewed someone who I think was the Port Vale owner it jumped to 400k

Googling, it’s this:

League Two - two months extra of player and staff wages, and the cost of cleaning stadiums and training grounds - put the bill at £400,000 per club. Inclusive of £180,000 in covid testing per club.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Googling, it’s this:

League Two - two months extra of player and staff wages, and the cost of cleaning stadiums and training grounds - put the bill at £400,000 per club. Inclusive of £180,000 in covid testing per club.

Ah ok....that makes sense

I think that’s partly offset by tv money(?)....sponsorship deal etc

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would it be inappropriate to say that, if we stay up, oo - look at that! Did you see that? Big......cloudy thing. Is it dinner time? Hello, John, got a new motor? Didn't you kill my brother? When I hear Demis Roussos I come over all weak. Love a bit of Demis Roussos.

If we stay up on average points, NSC would be a joyous virtual place, keyboard daggers put away.

2 follow-up questions:

1. Would there be 1,000‘s of angry posts over the ensuing months, bitterly complaining about a lack of competition integrity sending Villa and West Ham down?

2. When should behind closed doors 2020/21 football commence, without a vaccine or herd immunity?

Jimmy Grimble

If we stay up on average points, NSC would be a joyous virtual place, keyboard daggers put away.

2 follow-up questions:

1. Would there be 1,000‘s of angry posts over the ensuing months, bitterly complaining about a lack of competition integrity sending Villa and West Ham down?

2. When should behind closed doors 2020/21 football commence, without a vaccine or herd immunity?

I would feel very uncomfortable about a PPG situation. It would lack integrity and not be right at all. If it was between that and voiding I’d favour voiding. And I can’t stand Villa.

Who knows when. I don’t think any of us know beyond a prediction based on articles we’ve read on Covid-19. If I were to guess based on what I’ve read, I’d say September with a mid-point review on potential for fans returning. Endless variables at play though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would feel very uncomfortable about a PPG situation. It would lack integrity and not be right at all. If it was between that and voiding I’d favour voiding. And I can’t stand Villa.

Who knows when. I don’t think any of us know beyond a prediction based on articles we’ve read on Covid-19. If I were to guess based on what I’ve read, I’d say September with a mid-point review on potential for fans returning. Endless variables at play though.

With self-interest at heart, I’d take staying up. Other than on NSC, I genuinely hear little serious mention of voiding on 5live (interviews with interested parties, pundits), or from football writers for quality papers.

If the pandemic in August/Sept is not dissimilar to now, to me all the no football NSC arguments (A contact sport, 2m space impossible, players taking covid home to their kids, pregnant partner and elderly parents, sport should be the very last thing to open, selfish PB/TB/other owners putting money first whilst nurses die) .... would still stand. How could football start, and give Danny Rose, Glenn Murray and Trot Deeney the safety and morality they espouse?

Last edited:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Only if the last PL games are played out. If not, the 20 clubs must repay £340m to broadcasters.

I believe the broadcasters have another two seasons left on their contracts? If that is so then it would make more sense to just deduct £170m from their next two payments, the clubs then wouldn't have to pay back any money - just adjust their budgets to allow for less income.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I believe the broadcasters have another two seasons left on their contracts? If that is so then it would make more sense to just deduct £170m from their next two payments, the clubs then wouldn't have to pay back any money - just adjust their budgets to allow for less income.

That’s what I think will happen, 20 clubs won’t be making huge payments back to the PL central fund, for onward transmission to BT and Sky,

But at the end of the day, it’d still be an unplanned for £340m hit to cash flow of Brighton, Palace, Burnley and so on. Explaining their focus on seeing the season completed.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Good to see Port Vale accepting that this is the least worst option for the greater good of the league, despite them being just a point outside of the play-offs. Hope the FA and EFL agree.

Be interesting to see if the relegation threatened clubs in League 1 do a Norwich and claim that no League 2 clubs should be promoted as their season wasn't completed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Good to see Port Vale accepting that this is the least worst option for the greater good of the league, despite them being just a point outside of the play-offs. Hope the FA and EFL agree.

Be interesting to see if the relegation threatened clubs in League 1 do a Norwich and claim that no League 2 clubs should be promoted as their season wasn't completed.

Vale got quite a bit pf praise on R5 yesterday for their actions but they have two new owners who are local,plus John Askey respected manager with a 'play to feet' style of play and the club works hard in the local area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here